Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005   #16 (permalink)
beach geek
admin
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 10 year Playa resident lost in Sweden
Posts: 12,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman
I tip 0-20% depending on the service, with 20% being the norm. Each time I have to ask for a refill on coffe or a drink I knock off 1%, if I am ignored or the servers fingers end up in my food the tip goes to the big 0, & will never eat or drink where the tip is automatically added to the bill, it just seems a little presumptuous that the service is that damned good
but I think you are missing the point. Playa has more visitors from Europe than from the US or Canada (although this is shifting a bit). While most North Americans (US, Mexico and Canada) tip by custom, most Europeans do not. As "cultured" as the average European traveller is, they normally fail to grasp the tipping element, and the server ends up getting the shaft. The included tip isn't there to be presumptious. Not at all. It's there because Euro travellers often (not always) don't adapt to our traditions so well.

I think you'll find that you'll be eating in very few places in Playa if you cannot come to terms with this. You are not, after all, at home.

(don't expect coffee refills outside the US or Canada, BTW. It's the exception to the rule.)
__________________
Get your own signature countdown image!

james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #17 (permalink)
way into it
 
Icebreaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver at the moment.
Posts: 227
Send a message via ICQ to Icebreaka Send a message via MSN to Icebreaka
I've been thinking of getting it but I always feel weird using coupons and such. I guess the businesses that signed up for it though like the extra business it brings so I should get over it heh
Icebreaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #18 (permalink)
life=playa
 
bemarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pass Christian, Mississippi
Posts: 519
I haven't been on the board since early last year, but came back recently since I am planning a trip this summer to Playa. For some reason, I thought I remembered that the Playa Deal Card was free if you booked four nights at one of the hotels through this website. However, I didn't see any reference to that on the page with info. on the card. Just wondering if anyone knew anything about that.

Thanks,
Beth
bemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #19 (permalink)
way into it
 
Mina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 132
When we were in Canada visiting some friends they didn't tip either. Were they just being cheap?
Mina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #20 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: michigan
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina
When we were in Canada visiting some friends they didn't tip either. Were they just being cheap?
YES!!!
mellory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #21 (permalink)
way into it
 
Mina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 132
I'm glad I left a tip then .
Mina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #22 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: michigan
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina
I'm glad I left a tip then .
I'm glad you did, too!
mellory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #23 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemarshall
I haven't been on the board since early last year, but came back recently since I am planning a trip this summer to Playa. For some reason, I thought I remembered that the Playa Deal Card was free if you booked four nights at one of the hotels through this website. However, I didn't see any reference to that on the page with info. on the card. Just wondering if anyone knew anything about that.

Thanks,
Beth
Hi Beth...I think you'll find that info under the hotels information. (trip planning) I booked my hotel thru here and got an e-mail almost immediately from this site saying a card would be waiting for me when I arrive. A great bonus.
vacationstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #24 (permalink)
very sparkly
 
Sugarpop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 35
Send a message via MSN to Sugarpop
So you're saying that most places in Playa, the tip is included? If so, I thank all of you, for saving me a ton of money on double tipping!

Assumedly, if the tip is included when using the playa deal card, however, I should tip a little more in order to assure that the waiter is tipped for what we ate, not what we were charged, correct?
Sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #25 (permalink)
MWC
aņejo
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,500
We tend to repeat at places we like, so we like to tip well. Look for "propina" or "servicio" on your bill. That would be a tip already included. Even when it's already added to your bill, it's usually 10%, which we felt was chintzy. SO we always left a little extra at restaurants we like going back to.
If in doubt, just ask your waitperson if the tip was been included; we found them to be very honest about that issue.
MWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #26 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Softy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Massachusetts,U.S.A.
Posts: 1,729
Send a message via Yahoo to Softy57
Good one James

You said it all. When in Rome.......etc.
Softy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #27 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wa state
Posts: 2,881
Send a message via Yahoo to birdman
Quote:
Originally Posted by james
but I think you are missing the point. Playa has more visitors from Europe than from the US or Canada (although this is shifting a bit). While most North Americans (US, Mexico and Canada) tip by custom, most Europeans do not. As "cultured" as the average European traveller is, they normally fail to grasp the tipping element, and the server ends up getting the shaft. The included tip isn't there to be presumptious. Not at all. It's there because Euro travellers often (not always) don't adapt to our traditions so well.

I think you'll find that you'll be eating in very few places in Playa if you cannot come to terms with this. You are not, after all, at home.

(don't expect coffee refills outside the US or Canada, BTW. It's the exception to the rule.)
Not a day goes by I don't learn something from this board, ok so I will eat at places that include the tip just won't return to those with bad service, weak drinks, or waiters that think they need to check the temp of my dinner with their thumbs before I get it. I'm really easy to please, after all I am a guest there & will be the first to acknowledge that
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.