Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005   #61 (permalink)
aka yoga1970
 
playabums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 66
If the Cancun area does get hit by a cat 3,you may not be allowed into that area for awhile.Not sure planes would even land there for a few days after the storm.Maybe someone knows more about this.
playabums is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #62 (permalink)
into ruins
 
cajundiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 77
Glad you started a new thread and I agree. Its not looking good for the home team is it.

We are still up in the air and don't know if we should cancel now or wait.

This is the pits.
cajundiver is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #63 (permalink)
very sparkly
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: DC
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundiver
Glad you started a new thread and I agree. Its not looking good for the home team is it.

We are still up in the air and don't know if we should cancel now or wait.

This is the pits.
i know this is awful, i dont want to cancel, i think it will be a-ok once im down there but im concerned the planes wont even fly down or that i'll be spending lots of time in the airport and arriving a day later! im supposed to arrive noon on tues! this IS the pits!!
taco is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #64 (permalink)
into ruins
 
cajundiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 77
Just about in the same boat we fly out of Houston on wed. and if it goes on the projected path it shoul be in the gulf and then what. Will they fly around it and what kinda shape will the airport be in Cancun.
cajundiver is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #65 (permalink)
Loftguys
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
having friends and family in the pensacola area and dealing with ivan and now dennis in the last 10 months, becareful about the news media. often they exaggerate the perception for the news ratings and will show you the pictures of the worse areas affected which might be a 10 mile area of destruction. the way hurricanes are, outside that area, it really isnt too bad.


and then with dennis, it was so hyped on sunday and when it finally hit and initial reports didnt show much damage, it was sort of forgotten. go to the pensacola news website and take a look at some of the destruction. there was major destruction along the beach front areas for at least 100 miles. yet in my opinion, it wasnt talked much about the day after.
so if its a slow news day, expect major coverage. if a busy one, it might just get a short story.
 
Old 07-13-2005   #66 (permalink)
aka yoga1970
 
playabums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftguys
having friends and family in the pensacola area and dealing with ivan and now dennis in the last 10 months, becareful about the news media. often they exaggerate the perception for the news ratings and will show you the pictures of the worse areas affected which might be a 10 mile area of destruction. the way hurricanes are, outside that area, it really isnt too bad.


and then with dennis, it was so hyped on sunday and when it finally hit and initial reports didnt show much damage, it was sort of forgotten. go to the pensacola news website and take a look at some of the destruction. there was major destruction along the beach front areas for at least 100 miles. yet in my opinion, it wasnt talked much about the day after.
so if its a slow news day, expect major coverage. if a busy one, it might just get a short story.
I think that MAY be the case for a US. hit,but not a Yucatan hit.I have talked to people who have been in a major hurricane and they all say about the same thing......it's like being in hell.
playabums is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #67 (permalink)
very sparkly
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: DC
Posts: 29
well i just emailed my hotel and asked what the procedures are and if i should be concerned, etc. and they wrote back like they werent even aware of Emily....maybe im making a bigger deal out of it. im going regardless so i should hope for the best!! CANT WAIT
taco is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #68 (permalink)
aka yoga1970
 
playabums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco
well i just emailed my hotel and asked what the procedures are and if i should be concerned, etc. and they wrote back like they werent even aware of Emily....maybe im making a bigger deal out of it. im going regardless so i should hope for the best!! CANT WAIT
Be carefull,That can be the way they are in Playa(very very laid-back).Also they are business people,and they don't want to lose money.Not to be a downer,but I want everyone to be safe.If and it is still an IF,the area does get hit,I can not see any planes landing there for awhile.
playabums is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #69 (permalink)
beach geek
admin
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 10 year Playa resident lost in Sweden
Posts: 12,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by playabums
Be carefull,That can be the way they are in Playa(very very laid-back).Also they are business people,and they don't want to lose money.
dude, that thing is WAY off still.

If we got our panties up in a bunch over every tropical storm that might be on it's way, we'd never sleep.

that people are dodging questions about this because "they don't want to lose money" is a pretty silly thing to say at this point, IMHO. I doubt they even know about it. Most people in Playa aren't sitting at a desk, checking the latest NOAA updates.
__________________
Get your own signature countdown image!

james is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #70 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wa state
Posts: 2,881
Send a message via Yahoo to birdman
Quote:
Originally Posted by playabums
The latest is a cat 3 hitting around Playa this Monday.Yes alot can change,But,They were right on the money with Dennis.The latest emails I am getting from my buds down there......they are starting to worry about this one.Some are trying to get a flight to the states to ride it out.As one pointed out,it's sounds like a real good time to visit friends and family in the U.S. and elsewhere.
Is that Yoga I see in the back of the room grinning like a Chesire cat?
birdman is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #71 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wa state
Posts: 2,881
Send a message via Yahoo to birdman
I work in the weather every day from 90 + degree sun to -10 cold, wind, rain, night or day,it doesn't matter, we work.
I would not however want to weather a cat 3 hurricane in any coastal Mexican tourist destination.
I'm not saying not to go, just be carefull & make the right decisions. You will have plenty of time to cancel if need be, but don't be affraid to if you are uncomfortable about going.
birdman is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #72 (permalink)
aka yoga1970
 
playabums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by james
dude, that thing is WAY off still.

If we got our panties up in a bunch over every tropical storm that might be on it's way, we'd never sleep.

that people are dodging questions about this because "they don't want to lose money" is a pretty silly thing to say at this point, IMHO. I doubt they even know about it. Most people in Playa aren't sitting at a desk, checking the latest NOAA updates.
I agree it is way out there,But as I said before they nailed Dennis when it was way out there too.They are getting very good at 5day forcast tracks.I would not be surprised at all if most in Playa know nothing about it yet.I was down there when one was coming near Playa,and I did not hear anything until 2 days before it was to threaten Playa.They didn't prepare until the day before.But people flying there do have reason to worry.

Last edited by playabums; 07-13-2005 at 09:59 AM..
playabums is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #73 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mi hogar está en Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,523
Send a message via Skype™ to KevKaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco
i thought id just start a fresh new thread on emily before we all hate eachother because of political issues......

ok so ....im kind of concerned about emily reaching mex on monday...i arrive tues and fear my hotel will be floating in the ocean...nooooooo
Not trying to be a wise guy here, but please tell me that you have trip insurance.
KevKaos is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #74 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: We'll know when we get there, We'll find mercy
Posts: 8,963
Send a message via Skype™ to PlayadelSoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by james
dude, that thing is WAY off still.

If we got our panties up in a bunch over every tropical storm that might be on it's way, we'd never sleep.

that people are dodging questions about this because "they don't want to lose money" is a pretty silly thing to say at this point, IMHO. I doubt they even know about it. Most people in Playa aren't sitting at a desk, checking the latest NOAA updates.
How true. We don't tend to worry about these things until they are at least 24 hours out. This is my 7th hurricane season in the area, and the only one I was in was forecast to go north, and then turned south.

I understand why some with vacation plans might be a bit nervous, but if you book a trip in hurricane season in an area prone to hurricanes, you are playing the odds. Worrying about it ain't going to change the path.
PlayadelSoul is offline  
Old 07-13-2005   #75 (permalink)
beach geek
admin
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 10 year Playa resident lost in Sweden
Posts: 12,963
Most people here have no insurance of any kind (car, home, life, etc), so the real loss will be found with the locals in the path.
__________________
Get your own signature countdown image!

james is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.