Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005   #61 (permalink)
into ruins
 
mystikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: planet earth
Posts: 62
Posada la Iguanas

does anyone have any infos about "la Posada las Iguanas" across from "Aca los tacos" on Av. Constituyentes???

Last edited by mystikal; 10-25-2005 at 08:52 AM..
mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #62 (permalink)
way into it
 
sunscreenaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 190
Send a message via ICQ to sunscreenaddict Send a message via MSN to sunscreenaddict
Does anyone know anything about Riviera Caribe Maya? I have sent a couple of e-mails but have heard nothing and have read no mention of it on the forum.
sunscreenaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #63 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Coccinelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreenaddict
Does anyone know anything about Riviera Caribe Maya? I have sent a couple of e-mails but have heard nothing and have read no mention of it on the forum.

We have reservations also at the Riviera Caribe Maya for Nov.10 (2weeks) and I haven't been able to find anything either. We have booked through this forum. Maybe once PlayaInfo staff has settled back in, we might find out more, hopefully.

Sunscreenaddict, if you find anything out before I do, would you please let me know? Thank you.
Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #64 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccinelle
We have reservations also at the Riviera Caribe Maya for Nov.10 (2weeks) and I haven't been able to find anything either. We have booked through this forum. Maybe once PlayaInfo staff has settled back in, we might find out more, hopefully.

Sunscreenaddict, if you find anything out before I do, would you please let me know? Thank you.
Arrangements are made through this site but not by this site. All request for lodging are passed through to the hotels...so I would think that the Playa.info staff would have very little information. I think the best bet is to continue trying to reach the hotel directly, or hope that they post some information on their website.

...but I could be wrong.

good luck
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #65 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2
Hotel Jungla Caribe/Jaguar restaurant?

Anyone have news on the Hotel Jungla Caribe/Jaguar restaurant on 5th ave and calle 8 in Playa? Is it open now? Was there any damage? Thanks
Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #66 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Coccinelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo
Arrangements are made through this site but not by this site. All request for lodging are passed through to the hotels...so I would think that the Playa.info staff would have very little information. I think the best bet is to continue trying to reach the hotel directly, or hope that they post some information on their website.

...but I could be wrong.

good luck

And then again, you could be right. Thanks.
Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #67 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1
Shangri-la

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgans
I too am wondering about Shangri La...
I wound this on another site,
...Shangri-la Caribe lost the palapa roof over the Aventura dining area and several of the beachfront cabanas. The reopening date is scheduled prior to Dec. 18th. They also will announce actual re-opening date after further assessment

http://www.mexicoholiday.com/
jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #68 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chagrin Falls,Ohio
Posts: 14
Any news on the Alhambra hotel? I saw a picture and it looked to be sandy but intact.
marcohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #69 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
DiKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 323
Maya Bric

I just got an email from Vivian at Maya Bric:
Quote:
Off course it was a big mess after Wilma passed by, but it is incredible how fast everything is getting back to normal! Our hotel is running almost normal again. We cleaned everything and since yesterday we have electricity and running water again. For the moment we only can not provide clean towels every day and the swimming pool is out of service still.
Fifth Avenue is also getting back to normal, with the shops and restaurants opening again. The beach got bigger and the ocean is completely calm. It is a beautiful day today, sunny without any clouds.
DiKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #70 (permalink)
minucker
 
bufante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Crop Dusting the IA
Posts: 2,613
Send a message via Skype™ to bufante
Great news DiKC....I hope everyone reads this and the posts made by Tommy (telling us what James has said). Let's not panic here, it will be fine, and it appears to already be getting back to normal.

I for one do not think people should cancel, you will be "taxing" the area more by not going. The locals of PDC rely on tourist dollars for their income, I can handle a mess, and I wouldn't mind helping out a bit. I am still going, no matter what, even if my hotel is not open (which I am still waiting to hear about).
bufante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #71 (permalink)
aņejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 21,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccinelle
We have reservations also at the Riviera Caribe Maya for Nov.10 (2weeks) and I haven't been able to find anything either. We have booked through this forum. Maybe once PlayaInfo staff has settled back in, we might find out more, hopefully.

Sunscreenaddict, if you find anything out before I do, would you please let me know? Thank you.

Did you try the 800 number on their web site ? It is for reservations, but I believe it is located in Florida. Maybe they will know something.
But then again Florida is not doing so hot right now in certain areas !
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #72 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 248
Hi Guys:


It is so great to hear that everything is going so well, and people are working so hard to put the area back together. One of the best things I can say about the people in this area and on this board-no whining! Just getting back up there and moving on! You guys are awesome! We are so looking forward to our trip next month-cant wait to get there!

The news (Weather channel in particular) is still saying Playa del Carmen was "destroyed", of course, today they are saying the same thing about Key West!
They just cant resist. They are also saying things in Cancun wont be ready for at least 6 months.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had heard any news about Isla Holbox. We visited there a few months ago to see the whale sharks and thought it was a fun, charming little island. If any of the locals have heard anything, please post it on the board. its not well known , so its been hard to get news.

Once again, thanks to everyone there who is taking time to post information on the boards. We really appreciate it
Kogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #73 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22
I'll repeat my question again as more and more people are reading this thread.
Are there any news about Riviera Del Sol hotel? There are no updates on their web site.
As i hear about Mamitas gone i have a bad feeling that this hotel is damaged as well since it's located so close.
Thanks everyone!
playamaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #74 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
playapeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oakland, CA (by way of TX)
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogia
Hi Guys:


Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had heard any news about Isla Holbox. We visited there a few months ago to see the whale sharks and thought it was a fun, charming little island. If any of the locals have heard anything, please post it on the board. its not well known , so its been hard to get news.

Once again, thanks to everyone there who is taking time to post information on the boards. We really appreciate it
the news i got on another forum (link below) did not bode well for holbox . read the post and you will find the mayor reports that the storm surge completely covered the island and most buildings are gone. this post is not first-hand and i will take this with a grain of salt (or i guess "sand" is more appropriate these days).

http://cancuntravelonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1586&sid=b5420068878d7236cb8a4a6f4 4978c18

btw - if roads are clear, etc, i still plan to be in playa on nov 1st!

peg
playapeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #75 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Andiline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 10,034
Send a message via Skype™ to Andiline
Quote:
Originally Posted by playapeg
the news i got on another forum (link below) did not bode well for holbox . read the post and you will find the mayor reports that the storm surge completely covered the island and most buildings are gone. this post is not first-hand and i will take this with a grain of salt (or i guess "sand" is more appropriate these days).

http://cancuntravelonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1586&sid=b5420068878d7236cb8a4a6f4 4978c18

btw - if roads are clear, etc, i still plan to be in playa on nov 1st!

peg
I read that report too but what I did find a little bit strange was the request to send money at the end of it. It's possible that there is somebody who really wants to help but without any further info I would never send any money on such a request. I might be wrong here and I certainly will not say that the report overall is wrong but... might as well be someone who is just looking for some easy money (wouldn't be the first time).

Andrea
Andiline is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.