Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005   #16 (permalink)
JWK
way into it
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 162
I realize there are a lot of new people on this board. First of all, welcome. I know you are looking for information on your hotel but to keep from overloading this thread if I could just be patient, info will come soon. Shammy is wonderful at updating conditions of hotels. The reason there is not a lot of new info right now is because, well, there is no info. The locals have not been able to communicate back to the states because there is no power. I realize that you are all very anxious about your vacations as you should be but Shammy has set up a thread for AI damage reports. It is currently locked because she doen't want unneccessary posts. When information comes, she will post it. And believe me, Shammy does a wonderful job at getting info to us. She works relentlessly.
JWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #17 (permalink)
Non-aggressive Dutch dude
 
TeeZet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 8,170
Send a message via Skype™ to TeeZet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB
Hi all. Does anyone have any info on the status of the Iberostar Tucan hotel? I'm booked to go on the 1st Nov '05.
I have a contact at the Tucan whom I will contact by e-mail for info, and how things went.
I don't suspect a swift answer, though, 'cause that person is obviously having a lot on her mind and probably not in the mood for extensive reporting.
I will get back when she DOES have info.

Oh, and btw: there's a thread specifically for damage info on AI resorts. Please do keep an eye on that one.
TeeZet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #18 (permalink)
Non-aggressive Dutch dude
 
TeeZet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 8,170
Send a message via Skype™ to TeeZet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK
.... I realize that you are all very anxious about your vacations as you should be but Shammy has set up a thread for AI damage reports. It is currently locked because she doen't want unneccessary posts. When information comes, she will post it. And believe me, Shammy does a wonderful job at getting info to us. She works relentlessly.
I wholeheartedly second that!
TeeZet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #19 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeZet
I have a contact at the Tucan whom I will contact by e-mail for info, and how things went.
I don't suspect a swift answer, though, 'cause that person is obviously having a lot on her mind and probably not in the mood for extensive reporting.
I will get back when she DOES have info.

Oh, and btw: there's a thread specifically for damage info on AI resorts. Please do keep an eye on that one.

Thanks very much TeeZet!!
AndrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #20 (permalink)
Travel Insurance Tester

 
Shammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Joisey Shore
Posts: 18,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali
This should probably be in the AI posting but it's still locked and I didn't want to bother our already overly busy Shammy with a p.m. so I'm putting it here....hopefully it hasn't already gone up elsewhere (don't want a slapped wrist!).



8 am EST October 23, 2005 Hurricane Wilma Update23/10/20058am EST
October 23, 2005
Hurricane Wilma, Tropical Storm Alpha Update

The Hurricane Center in Miami, Florida reported at 8 am on Oct 23, 2005 that Hurricane Wilma, now a Category 2 storm with 100 mph hour winds, has moved off the Yucatan Peninsula and is heading northeast at 8 mph toward Florida. The Hurricane is expected to cross the state of Florida to the north of Miami and south of Orlando.

Riu Hotels & Resorts reports that all guests of their five resorts in Playa del Carmen are safe and unharmed. The hotels are structurally sound and damage was mainly to the gardens and pool area. Phone lines in Playa del Carmen are starting to work. Hotel guests are able to go outside.

In Cancun, guests of Riu Hotels & Resorts were evacuated to public shelters prior to the storms arrival. Updates will be provided once communication is established.

Tropical Storm Alpha is located over the island of Hispaniola and both Haiti and the Dominican Republic are receiving rain from this storm. Tropical Storm Alpha is expected to continue north and move into the Atlantic with no landfalls in its future.

Updates will be posted on www.Riu.com as information is provided.

This information is already in the "All Inclusive Damage Report Update" thread.
Shammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #21 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
cptfnch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 269
Send a message via AIM to cptfnch
I would stop with the what happened to this hotel and that hotel cuz of weddings and stuff in 2006. What about the people that are going in the next couple weeks. Im one and Not posting what happened to EDR or ASP. Im still going if I have a place to stay and help rebuild.
cptfnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #22 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4
Riu Palace Mexico Update

I am getting married November 5th-in 2 weeks at the Riu Palace in Playa. After stressing the past couple of days...I finally got thru to someone and there office is in the Yucatan right across the street from the Palace. She said that the hotels were fine, mainly just vegetation damage and broken windows. She also said they still have a beach at the palace. She said they had a power and water as well. When I told her about all the ridiculous reports going around about "Playa being destroyed" she said no. That the streets by these hotels were not flooded. She did not know about downtown as she has not been there. She said they would have more info in the next 1-2 days. She knew the Cancun airport was not working and did not know when it would be. However when I called Cont'l they have flights resuming on Wed-who knows that could change....She seemed to think everything would be ok for me to arrive this Sunday...I guess we will see..
playa1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #23 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1
Palladium Grand Resort

I would be rally thankful if anybody can give information about condition in Palladium Grand Resort . My parents are there and I have not heard anything from them since last Thursday October, 20th. THANKS
mamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #24 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
cptfnch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 269
Send a message via AIM to cptfnch
Quote:
Originally Posted by playa1105
I am getting married November 5th-in 2 weeks at the Riu Palace in Playa. After stressing the past couple of days...I finally got thru to someone and there office is in the Yucatan right across the street from the Palace. She said that the hotels were fine, mainly just vegetation damage and broken windows. She also said they still have a beach at the palace. She said they had a power and water as well. When I told her about all the ridiculous reports going around about "Playa being destroyed" she said no. That the streets by these hotels were not flooded. She did not know about downtown as she has not been there. She said they would have more info in the next 1-2 days. She knew the Cancun airport was not working and did not know when it would be. However when I called Cont'l they have flights resuming on Wed-who knows that could change....She seemed to think everything would be ok for me to arrive this Sunday...I guess we will see..
Apple vacations web site has a link about Wilma and a list of hotels that they sell and what the conditions are. Most are not deffinate about conditions yet. Give them a few days.
cptfnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #25 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,543
As far as what is damaged and to what extent...it's just a wait and see. Many of us have trips planned but we can't rush things. Information is being gathered and I'm sure all of the questions will be answered in due time.

Last edited by tommy; 10-24-2005 at 04:32 PM..
Babaloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #26 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
cptfnch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 269
Send a message via AIM to cptfnch
Im supposed to stay at EDR and ASP when I get there and hope i have somewhere to stay. Im goin to talk to steve to see if he has availability for a few days just in case.

Im trying to state that a Wedding in may 2006 is far away and they will be fine. My honeymoon is in 2 weeks and im worried about just getting there to help. Im trading my swim trunks for power tools.
cptfnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #27 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1
Iberostar Lindo- small report

This was posted on the Iberostar Lindo website:


Directly form the hotel: all the clients are well and send greetings to their families. We have electricity, water and food. Telephone lines are not yet working.

http://iberostar.com/iberostar.asp?c...=3&codiconc=78
beagleboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #28 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA, northeast
Posts: 1
Send a message via AIM to krdmd
Royal Hideaway

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone living in the area as they recover from the storm!!! And also with those who are there now traveling!!!

Have a trip planned to the Royal Hideaway in a couple of weeks and need to make a decision as to whether or not to cancel the trip. If anyone has any information on the conditon of the resort we would really appreciate it!
krdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #29 (permalink)
sandflea
 
SunDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Georgetown, ON, Canada
Posts: 4
Mayan Palace Update

For those of you traveling to Mayan Palace in the near future & are looking for an update, I just spoke to their Customer Service people. I will quote them as best as I can:



"They were fortunate that the resort did not sustain any major damage. They are currently cleaning up some broken windows, sand & water, and expect the resort to be 100% operational within 3 weeks."



Their responses were generic, and they did not address questions concerning specific buildings (ie TumTahs restaurant on the beach). However, I expect they are very busy, so I don't blame them for being to the point.



We are traveling to the Mayan for 2 weeks on Nov 20th, and so long as this info holds true, were still coming! However, they did say we could cancel/reschedule at any time (including up to the last minute) should we change our minds ... good to know.



All our thoughts and best wishes go out to all the hard working people down there who have suffered through this. See you in a month!!
SunDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #30 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8
Grand Palladium

Hope this helps: go to this site and about half way down after the photos is a letter from the general manager saying they are open and accepting guests.

Sticky: Wilma-Akumal Info and Damage Reports!!
tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamon
I would be rally thankful if anybody can give information about condition in Palladium Grand Resort . My parents are there and I have not heard anything from them since last Thursday October, 20th. THANKS
jackb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.