View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014   #16 (permalink)
beam-eye
aņejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijo View Post
go on-line "google" and find out what in the US that is considered a misdemeanor is considered a felony in Canada. We are a totally different country with different laws. When you cross the bridge from MI to Ontario there are huge signs "no guns allowed in Canada", please stop and turn in all firearms to MI authorities. Do people do it? No. Do they get caught? Yes. What happens? Jail. Directly. Just ask a doctor that thought this did not apply to him. We fly out of Detroit, MI and their customs regulations are different than ours. We only bring back what is allowed in the US because that's where we are landing.

Some people just don't seem to get it. Immigration people can come across as very officious, but a lacky? I don't think so. You must be proficient in at least 2 languages to work immigration at the Canadian border and you must continually upgrade your education in order to progress. We cross the border at least once every two weeks and once they swipe our passports they know exactly where we've been and when.

I honestly have no idea what the solution to this is other than: just try it. The point I'm trying to make is; every country is different. At least he's tried to find out for himself what is acceptable in Mexico. I really hope there is no problem and that you all have a wonderful time.
A misdemeanor in one jurisdiction is, by definition, not a felony (or anything else) in another jurisdiction if it wasn't committed there, even though it might have been had it been committed there - but it wasn't. And since it wasn't, what it might have been, had it been, has no practical application and is thus an entirely moot point not subject to presumption, interpretation, re-interpretation, or mis-interpretation by a border guard, no matter how many languages he might speak.

No offense meant regarding a specific officer or incident. A 'lacky', as I use the term, is an officious, linear-thinking administrator of policy who, for whatever reasons, believes his mandate exceeds his actual authority. I have no doubt that Canadian border officers are well-trained, and I usually come to the defense of TSA officers when they make what appear to be goofy mistakes in following procedures that they are sworn to follow. It's the application of myopic over-zealous officiousness that sets me off. Suerte!
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote