View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014   #28 (permalink)
Rissask
Canada Dry

It is a pricy gamble, not sure it's one I would take.

He could buy trip insurance but if it's the case they turn him away for this reason, I doubt the insurance company would cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
A misdemeanor in one jurisdiction is, by definition, not a felony (or anything else) in another jurisdiction if it wasn't committed there, even though it might have been had it been committed there - but it wasn't. And since it wasn't, what it might have been, had it been, has no practical application and is thus an entirely moot point not subject to presumption, interpretation, re-interpretation, or mis-interpretation by a border guard, no matter how many languages he might speak.

No offense meant regarding a specific officer or incident. A 'lacky', as I use the term, is an officious, linear-thinking administrator of policy who, for whatever reasons, believes his mandate exceeds his actual authority. I have no doubt that Canadian border officers are well-trained, and I usually come to the defense of TSA officers when they make what appear to be goofy mistakes in following procedures that they are sworn to follow. It's the application of myopic over-zealous officiousness that sets me off. Suerte!

well, yes and no, and not exactly...

Quote:

According to Canadian immigration law, a person is barred from coming into the country if they have been convicted of an offense that would have been treated as an indictable offense if it had been committed in Canada. Essentially, it doesn’t matter how U.S. law classifies the offenseit matters how the offense is classified in Canada.

Unlike California, where driving under the influence is either a misdemeanor or felony offense depending on the circumstances, driving under the influence in Canada is a felony that is punishable by up to five years in prison. A DUI conviction is considered an excludable offense under the Canadian Immigration Act, meaning the person can be excludable even if they were only convicted of a misdemeanor.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote