View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014   #34 (permalink)
Nikky
beachaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
My son got a DUI and his friends were thinking of going to Canada this summer. We found out he can't go! I don't understand it at all, why a DUI means you can't go into Canada but it is what it is!
You can go if you applied for a rehabilitation

Application for Rehabilitation for Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity

You don't need to apply if it's been 10 years since the DUI.

I worked as an immigration officer at the border (I don't wish to disclose the location), so I know what I'm talking about!

The Immigration Act does not allow anyone with criminal record, who is not a Canadian citizen, to enter the country. Officers are just applying the law.

Quote:
Criminality
(2) A foreign national is inadmissible on grounds of criminality for

(a) having been convicted in Canada of an offence under an Act of Parliament punishable by way of indictment, or of two offences under any Act of Parliament not arising out of a single occurrence;

(b) having been convicted outside Canada of an offence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament, or of two offences not arising out of a single occurrence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute offences under an Act of Parliament;

(c) committing an act outside Canada that is an offence in the place where it was committed and that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament; or

(d) committing, on entering Canada, an offence under an Act of Parliament prescribed by regulations.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...5/page-16.html

Last edited by Nikky; 03-11-2014 at 03:02 PM..
Nikky is offline   Reply With Quote