Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > News, gossip, ...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011   #46 (permalink)
way into it
 
AKLydia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 244
The beach here in front of playacar fase 1 is weird to me there is a deeper channel close to the beach (just a couple feet deep) and then a sandbar out a few feet. This deeper pool seems to move daily, but I have to wonder if it's just part of the new beach washing away. The farther south you go the bigger the pool till the sandbar gets. It's perfect for my daughter to swim in but I haven't seen it on a beach before.
AKLydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #47 (permalink)
very sparkly
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Playacar Phase 2
Posts: 38
Send a message via Skype™ to TheCrooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKLydia View Post
The beach here in front of playacar fase 1 is weird to me there is a deeper channel close to the beach (just a couple feet deep) and then a sandbar out a few feet. This deeper pool seems to move daily, but I have to wonder if it's just part of the new beach washing away. The farther south you go the bigger the pool till the sandbar gets. It's perfect for my daughter to swim in but I haven't seen it on a beach before.
Yes, I noticed that too. When we first got down here in November, I swear that deeper channel wasn't there... it seemed to come out of nowhere in December or so.

Seeing that develop really made me concerned about the long-term viability of that beach. I guess they'll just need to rebuild it every x years?
TheCrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #48 (permalink)
Sue
aņejo
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 18,188
We were at El Pirata today, which is next door to Zenzi. The beach is really messed up. You have to navigate a four foot drop to get into the water, and this new sand "wall" prevents seaweed and garbage from being washed up onto shore, so it just churns back and forth around you as you try to wade out. It is really disappointing.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #49 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
We were at El Pirata today, which is next door to Zenzi. The beach is really messed up. You have to navigate a four foot drop to get into the water, and this new sand "wall" prevents seaweed and garbage from being washed up onto shore, so it just churns back and forth around you as you try to wade out. It is really disappointing.
Yep. I would say that well over half of the reclamation is gone.
And it seems the funds for the maintenance of the reclamation can't be found.
Imagine that!
In addition to the damage to the reef, I'd say this has been an epic fail.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #50 (permalink)
reposado
 
YWGDon&Deb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,318
We walked the beach to Zubul/Cannibal Royal this afternoon and happened to be passing right behind you two as you were heading into the water. We just walked the Playacar beach north into town at Christmas, too.

Totally agree with your comments. At least 50% of the reclamation is already back in the sea and the rest won't be far behind.

GPR is the ugliest section of beach in the 4 or 5 miles we've come to know over the years. Just one engineering fail after another there, we were saying, as we passed through there on our way back to Playa Maya. Sad.
YWGDon&Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #51 (permalink)
aņejo
 
queencityfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,397
I really hate to hear this. Somedays the crew at Blue Parrot had to dig steps out of the wall in order for anyone to get in, I certainly can't manuver a 4 foot wall on my own.

How was it north of the pier Don?
queencityfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #52 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Luv2Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
We were at El Pirata today, which is next door to Zenzi. The beach is really messed up. You have to navigate a four foot drop to get into the water, and this new sand "wall" prevents seaweed and garbage from being washed up onto shore, so it just churns back and forth around you as you try to wade out. It is really disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Yep. I would say that well over half of the reclamation is gone.
And it seems the funds for the maintenance of the reclamation can't be found.
Imagine that!
In addition to the damage to the reef, I'd say this has been an epic fail.
Wow! This is very sad to hear.
Luv2Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #53 (permalink)
way into it
 
Nene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGDon&Deb View Post
We walked the beach to Zubul/Cannibal Royal this afternoon and happened to be passing right behind you two as you were heading into the water. We just walked the Playacar beach north into town at Christmas, too.

Totally agree with your comments. At least 50% of the reclamation is already back in the sea and the rest won't be far behind.

GPR is the ugliest section of beach in the 4 or 5 miles we've come to know over the years. Just one engineering fail after another there, we were saying, as we passed through there on our way back to Playa Maya. Sad.
How is the beach in front of Playa Maya? Is there a wall of sand there?
Nene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #54 (permalink)
reposado
 
YWGDon&Deb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencityfan View Post
How was it north of the pier Don?
Yesterday, the beach north of the new pier was about the same as it has been for years. The south-east wind was keeping the waves coming in steadily but there were only a couple of places with some steeper banks and they were only about 2 feet high, I think.
YWGDon&Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #55 (permalink)
reposado
 
YWGDon&Deb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nene View Post
How is the beach in front of Playa Maya? Is there a wall of sand there?
I just walked out to take a look.

There is about 30 to 40 metres (100 to 130 feet) of beach in total in front of the hotel and it ends with a five foot drop to the water level. The edge is two tiers today, the first down about three feet to a narrow two-foot wide "shelf" and then another 2 feet down to the water level.
YWGDon&Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #56 (permalink)
way into it
 
Nene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGDon&Deb View Post
I just walked out to take a look.

There is about 30 to 40 metres (100 to 130 feet) of beach in total in front of the hotel and it ends with a five foot drop to the water level. The edge is two tiers today, the first down about three feet to a narrow two-foot wide "shelf" and then another 2 feet down to the water level.
Thanks so much for checking on this! Not that it matters I guess..we won't be there till May...so who knows what it will be like then..LOL
Nene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #57 (permalink)
Travel Insurance Tester

 
Shammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Joisey Shore
Posts: 18,673
Wow, that sucks!
Shammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #58 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
robinandmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 301
We were there in January and there was a drop-off at Mamitas beach as well, maybe 2 or 3 feet. Not quite a wall, but definitely not easy to stroll into the water.
robinandmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #59 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13
Does anyone know how the beach by the RIU Palace is? I will be heading down there the begining of June.. although the 4 foot drop really sounds like fun (going with a group of guys- so you can only imagine!) I hope the beach is clean and not too much seaweed, etc....
Blazea50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #60 (permalink)
way into it
 
JoshCDN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 113
Does any one have any recent photos of the beaches?
JoshCDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.