View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017   #6 (permalink)
EditedUser
very sparkly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewJones View Post
Sorry to sound pessimistic, but simply finding an employer in Playa del Carmen willing to sponsor you for a work visa are almost 0. In the big cities of Mexico, you odds would be about 5% if your Spanish is advanced.
That is pretty low, I've been offered jobs in places like Mexico City, but I am not really interested in working in a non-coastal location.

Quote:
One option is MONEY. Either a qualified pension, or a lump sum investment.
Nah, I'm not really a pension age person, I'm still pretty young.

Quote:
If those don't apply to you, then your next best option is just come down here, get black out drunk on 12th calle, fall in love with a local party girl, then 9 months later you can get meet you wonderful little work visa at the Hospital General (corner of Av 135 and Constituyentes).
lol, if I got your meaning correct, I would never aim to bring a child into this world without having their future secured.

Quote:
If you aren't willing to mess up your life like that, then come down here for a 6 month visit and NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK. If you're open to other cities (Cancun, Merida, Mexico City) your options will expand. If you think your skills at importing goods from China will help, then you'll want to meet someone who does that and work along side. (Tepito in Mexico City would be the best place for this option) However, with Chinese importing, keep in mind there are people that have been dealing with black market and knock off item trade for decades, and unless you're really good, this would be a difficult industry to break in to.
I am pretty confident I could find work in DF, however, I am not really interested in working in DF. I would do contract work there but I don't really want to relocate there.

Quote:
A simpler option if you have some money to live, would be to do language exchange. You shouldn't have any legal problems trading an hour of English for Spanish. After you get established doing that you can find some people to teach for cash (probably 50 to 100 pesos and hour). You'd then be breaking the law, but if you're VERY informal it should be no problem.
I'm not willing to break any Mexican laws.

Quote:
The other "technically illegal" thing you can do once you know the right people is simply referrals for accommodation and tours. If you bring me a client to stay in my rental units, I'll happily pay you 10% and I won't ask any questions about your immigration status. I charge $250 USD a week, I give you 500 pesos. Plenty of landlords in town will do this.
I'd consider something like that, something related to a tourist agent but having more local knowledge. I would consider doing my TICO etc.. however, I'd rather not go into business for myself while in Mexcio because it may also require a separate visa for business activities while in Mexico. I wouldn't rule something tourism related out; however, I'd need to look into it more. There are, at times, people looking for rental, however, you'd need a lot of inputs to really make money. I could see how it might work but again, legally I think I would need a remuneration business type visa if I was acting as a middle man on other peoples properties for profit.

Quote:
Dive Shops! Get certified as a Dive Instructor. I think that's one of the few industries out here that would actually do the visa paperwork for you. I could be completely wrong though. I do have a British friend who taught in Thailand and Cambodia for a decade. He was legally working the entire time. Not sure about here though...
Is there really a demand for dive instructors, or green dive instructors. I do have my rescue diver, eanx, deep, again I would do this if I had a job waiting for me on the other end but it would eat into my funding if I certified and didn't have a job from it. The other problem is that I eat up air pretty fast because I have a big body and high respiration rate. None the less, I would do something like that but is there really a demand? I would figure the dive shops would have tons of staff available for that even with limits on dive times.

I am open to language exchanges, however, I think I'd be more likely to do studies in an educational program, but that usually requires like a 6 month admissions lead time, than do a paid exchange. I don't know as an applied language studies student, and TEFL/TESOL certified person, with years of Spanish, French, and Latin language learning I feel sort of confident in my ability to teach myself wherever I am. Paying to learn a non-credit/degree language is problematic for return on investment. My resources are limited and language courses can be costly. Are there any in PDC? I've seen many others elsewhere but don't recall seeing any exchanges in PDC.

If I was putting out money I might try a college/university program if I could a Master's in anthropology,archaeology or conservation/preservation sciences, tourism related, or a redseal type trade such as building on my communications or electrical training, or infrastructure/scada related. As I hear Playa will likely need infrastructure upgrades, or a distributed system if it takes on green energy. It would need people who know those systems. I suspect eventually things like water/sewage, and electrical will be upgraded so there could be a future in it.

I think that it would take time to develope a working real estate business, but I think this is probably the best bet for someone with time, however the amount of clients is really the, question.
Every time I come down now I am often looking for a place, and I chat with people I meet, I have hosteled quite a bit. So I understand there is often a language barrier between owners and who would be their renters. I won't go deep into it or how the system works here, but yes, I think owners and their agents would be happy to see their properties move with good clients, and renters would be happy to find a place. You know the signs are in spanish so anglos don't really understand, they feel put off in calling someone who speaks Spanish and only bad English, they can't communicate with them.

None the less it may be improving. Again though getting a visa to provide this service may be difficult, and I think it would be needed if money is changing hands.

To be honest though, sales is big always commission in sales, but I have never been much a sales person. I like providing services, personally.

Last edited by EditedUser; 01-06-2017 at 12:38 PM..
EditedUser is offline   Reply With Quote