View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017   #10 (permalink)
u2girlie
Life=Playa (almost)

OK, Iīm sorry but I couldnīt read your entire posts. I was getting glossy eyed.

Here are the facts as I have experienced them (I live here and have my residente temporal con permiso para trabajar):

When thinking types of jobs, think service industry. Jobs here are 99.9% tourism. Tour guides, Snorkel guides, bartenders, waiters, timeshare, etc.

You can get a job with permission to work but it is extremely difficult, a long process, and once you finally get your permission set up, itīs like you landed the golden goose.

You can not apply for a freelance work permit. Prior to 2012 you could. They changed the laws and as of November 2012, you can no longer freelance (at least no new freelancers). You have to either have a job offer or open your own business & then go through the process of having your business approved to hire foreigners so you can hire yourself. From starting the process of creating a business to where you might be approved by immigration is a minimum of 6 months and you need $50,000 pesos of investment money + lawyers fees, fees to immigraiton, fees for permits, the list goes on and on. But definitely doable just time consuming and costly.

In Playa del Carmen/Quintana Roo, I would be VERY surprised if you secured a job offer without being here. You have to come here and interview. Remember, there are 1,000s of people who come here to live and work. The job market is saturated with both nationals (much easier to hire) and foreigners (many with multiple language skills - highly desirable). Plus, you will be contending with many foreigners who are willing to work illegally in exchange for living in ĻparadiseĻ.

Not all companies have permission to hire foreigners. This is a separate process that business need to apply for through INM. Smaller businesses (like dive shops), may not have gone through the process so therefore can not legally hire you.

Speaking of dive shops, assuming they have been approved by immigration to hire foreigners, they will not offers you a job offer/path to legalization. That is unless you have a friend who owns a dive shop and is willing to do it. Way too many young dive instructors willing to work illegally.

If you want a job in Playa del Carmen, this is what normally happens:
1) Come in on a tourist visa.
2) Interview/Network (as DrewJones told you)
3) Get a job with an offer. They will expect you to start working even if you donīt have your temporary residency with permission to work yet. That means you will be working illegally until they process your paperwork. This means, of course, you are at risk of deportation if immigration visits your workplace (including doing checks in dive shops, waiting at locations where tours take place to check the immigration status of tour guides, etc.).
4) If you get through that process, and your company ACTUALLY follows through with submitting your paperwork (believe me, many tell you what you want to hear but they never follow through), you will have to leave the country to visit a Mexican consulate (ex: go to Miami) and conduct the interview, then return and finalize everything with immigration here.

From the point of a job offer to actually having your temporary residency with permission to work can take months and months. I know someone who was working and waiting for the process for over a year - every day he was worried he would get caught. It was extremely stressful for him (he worked in a restaurant on 5th where immigration frequently likes to make spot inspections).

You will not waltz into Playa with permission to work in hand. If that does happen, you are one of the only people I have heard of to do that.

If you apply for permanent residency and can prove meet the financial requirements of such residency, thatīs a whole other ball game. You can work with permanent. However, you have to start that process outside of Mexico at a Mexican consulate.

Sorry, I just realized how long winded this is. Itīs just not a simple process, at all.
u2girlie is offline   Reply With Quote