View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017   #14 (permalink)
EditedUser
very sparkly

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2girlie View Post
Jobs here are 99.9% tourism. Tour guides, Snorkel guides, bartenders, waiters, timeshare, etc.
I've been in Playa for quite a few months in total, my last trip there was for about 3 months. I've been in various areas from Playacar to near the industrial wing and military base, to xcaret etc.. to the beach fronts - cozumel cancun all the major mayan sites, the capital chetumal etc.. I've seen a bit more than what the average tourist may have seen.

Quote:
You can get a job with permission to work but it is extremely difficult, a long process, and once you finally get your permission set up, itīs like you landed the golden goose.
Yes I have found people are really willing to give illegal work in various sectors of the economy but getting things done officially is more problematic they just want you to show up and do the job, not go through the problems (and costs) of getting permission to hire a foreigner.

Quote:
You can not apply for a freelance work permit. Prior to 2012 you could. They changed the laws and as of November 2012, you can no longer freelance (at least no new freelancers). You have to either have a job offer or open your own business & then go through the process of having your business approved to hire foreigners so you can hire yourself. From starting the process of creating a business to where you might be approved by immigration is a minimum of 6 months and you need $50,000 pesos of investment money + lawyers fees, fees to immigraiton, fees for permits, the list goes on and on. But definitely doable just time consuming and costly.
I am not totally sure on everything on that but your advice on this is welcome, although, I am more or less seeking being retained by someone or an organization as opposed to opening a business or being oppourtunist. The whole idea is to probe prior to the vacation after my degree upgrade is finished to take a break from studies and see if there is any life in Mexico for me beyond periodic trips.

Quote:
In Playa del Carmen/Quintana Roo, I would be VERY surprised if you secured a job offer without being here. You have to come here and interview. Remember, there are 1,000s of people who come here to live and work. The job market is saturated with both nationals (much easier to hire) and foreigners (many with multiple language skills - highly desirable). Plus, you will be contending with many foreigners who are willing to work illegally in exchange for living in ĻparadiseĻ.
This is what I have found also, it is sort of standard however, some employers have been willing to do electronic interviews over things like skype forgoing an in person interview, I haven't tried this in quite a few years though. I do have some offers to teach online though that I would consider taking up, I am not sure of how international teaching works via telecommuting, for example teaching people in China. Is that working in Mexico if I do my own business activities that relate to interactions with China. I am not sure how this is really considered by Mexcio in terms of labour laws, employment, especially if no money is being transfered to any mexican accounts and I am not being paid by anyone in Mexico.

Quote:
Not all companies have permission to hire foreigners. This is a separate process that business need to apply for through INM. Smaller businesses (like dive shops), may not have gone through the process so therefore can not legally hire you.
Yes I have insisted on the work permit for the purpose of visa and that has been a deal killer in some cases because for whatever reason they don't want to get it or can't.

Quote:
Speaking of dive shops, assuming they have been approved by immigration to hire foreigners, they will not offers you a job offer/path to legalization. That is unless you have a friend who owns a dive shop and is willing to do it. Way too many young dive instructors willing to work illegally.
I don't know, I do know I've met quite a bit of people with their dive master certs who have said they were offered or have work in a dive shop. I don't know if they had a permit and all that, I didn't really ask but there do seem to be quite a few people working in or with dive shops in Mexcio in places like Playa and other tourist areas, although there are Mexicans working in them or as owners too.

Quote:
If you want a job in Playa del Carmen, this is what normally happens:
1) Come in on a tourist visa.
2) Interview/Network (as DrewJones told you)
3) Get a job with an offer. They will expect you to start working even if you donīt have your temporary residency with permission to work yet. That means you will be working illegally until they process your paperwork. This means, of course, you are at risk of deportation if immigration visits your workplace (including doing checks in dive shops, waiting at locations where tours take place to check the immigration status of tour guides, etc.).
4) If you get through that process, and your company ACTUALLY follows through with submitting your paperwork (believe me, many tell you what you want to hear but they never follow through), you will have to leave the country to visit a Mexican consulate (ex: go to Miami) and conduct the interview, then return and finalize everything with immigration here.

From the point of a job offer to actually having your temporary residency with permission to work can take months and months. I know someone who was working and waiting for the process for over a year - every day he was worried he would get caught. It was extremely stressful for him (he worked in a restaurant on 5th where immigration frequently likes to make spot inspections).

You will not waltz into Playa with permission to work in hand. If that does happen, you are one of the only people I have heard of to do that.

If you apply for permanent residency and can prove meet the financial requirements of such residency, thatīs a whole other ball game. You can work with permanent. However, you have to start that process outside of Mexico at a Mexican consulate.

Sorry, I just realized how long winded this is. Itīs just not a simple process, at all.
Oh, yes all the legal barriers, the interview, the permit, the visa application, there can be time and cost additions too. This all at a time of pretty rocky economic times in Mexico filled with lots of uncertainty... really low peso values and all that. You would think that would attract more tourism due to favourable exchange rates. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I am definately not a resident in Mexico just when I can an annual traveler normally for up to a Month. The last time I was there was a little longer, about 3 months as I got food poisoning missed my flight and had to wait to rebook, and I've lost over $10,000 on the beach at Mamamita's Beach Club due to a beach thief, and I have come very close to doing FM3 work for an extended time, I've also trained in Mexico to teach English, however no, I am not a resident, I do feel at home there though.

Last edited by EditedUser; 01-12-2017 at 04:15 PM..
EditedUser is offline   Reply With Quote