View Single Post
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22 (permalink)
GaryD
I Wander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
There are two economies here. The dollar economy and the peso economy. Those of us who work (some by choice but most not) in the peso economy cannot afford the prices set for the dollar economy. So, at certain times of the year (for most places, low season), those of us who work in the peso economy are given a chance to enjoy the places where our friends and neighbors work. Otherwise, we don't go. These prices allow some places to maintain employment in the off-season for those who might normally be laid off. There is no double standard. You are always welcome to move here and look for a job in the peso economy.
Yep, I think of it of the "tourist" economy and the "locals" economy. I live in a place that swarms with tourists in the summer and the local pizza place tried the two price structure thing and all hell broke loose when it was found out by visitors. In the end they went with dollars off coupons on every pizza, thereby rewarding regular customers be they local or tourists. I put a lot of kilometers on the rental car down there last year, over 11,000 in two months and I saw the tourist economy and the local economy differences over and over across all the southern Mexican states. Businesses have learned to target tourists, many of whom (most in some places) are from Mexico itself. One has to hunt out zones away from tourists in order to get by inexpensively. Apart from the rental car I live on a budget of 50 bucks Canadian, (was about 700 pesos) a day and that pays rooms, food and entertainment. That might seem like a lot but every meal has to be bought out and I can't usually pay all of the gas or toll highways out of that. Add in the fact that I work seasonally and have no income for 3 months means that I also need to live within the "peso" economy. I guess my point is that not every traveller to México is flush with cash and you can't judge someone's ability to pay based on their place of origin. Those expensive places? I can't go there either. Just sayin.
GaryD is offline   Reply With Quote