Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff

Reply

 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012   #1381 (permalink)
añejo
 
Andiline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 9,961
Send a message via Skype™ to Andiline
One of the reasons why my profile is not open to public, I don't use my real name, I don't have any family or school or employer info there and I have blocked the possibility for others to publish on FB where I am (I have disabled the automatic tracking of my face on pictures as well).
Andiline is offline   Reply With Quote
register to remove these adverts
Old 03-31-2012   #1382 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,242
I too have it blocked so that no one can state where I am. Scarey.

Besides, am I the only one who thinks it is rude when I am having lunch with a friend......Friend pulls out phone and texts in Karen is at Coffee Depot with Jane Doe. Are we not having lunch together? We should be having a conversation. I am just old fashioned with manners I guess.

And does anyone really care where I am lunching and with whom? Stupid.

Last edited by mexisv; 03-31-2012 at 06:29 AM..
mexisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #1383 (permalink)
añejo
 
Luv2Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 25,893
That app is no longer.



from the original link at bottom of page:


"Update: In response to this story, Foursquare has killed Girls Around Me’s API access to their data, effectively knocking the app out of commission. For more details and a statement from Foursquare, read here."


Still wise to keep on top of privacy issues.

edit to add: You'll probably see a tutorial on Facebook Safety in the advertising column on your home page now like mine. Nothing is private.

Last edited by Luv2Dance; 03-31-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Luv2Dance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #1384 (permalink)
añejo
 
mrsr05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: lawn guyland
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Dance View Post
That app is no longer.



from the original link at bottom of page:


"Update: In response to this story, Foursquare has killed Girls Around Me’s API access to their data, effectively knocking the app out of commission. For more details and a statement from Foursquare, read here."


Still wise to keep on top of privacy issues.

edit to add: You'll probably see a tutorial on Facebook Safety in the advertising column on your home page now like mine. Nothing is private.

im sure the only thing that is private is WHO is watching all of us..
mrsr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #1385 (permalink)
Allah Akhbar
 
STOGEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: salisbury, mass.
Posts: 16,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexisv View Post
I too have it blocked so that no one can state where I am. Scarey.

Besides, am I the only one who thinks it is rude when I am having lunch with a friend......Friend pulls out phone and texts in Karen is at Coffee Depot with Jane Doe. Are we not having lunch together? We should be having a conversation. I am just old fashioned with manners I guess.

And does anyone really care where I am lunching and with whom? Stupid.
Yes it is rude. Softy has brought that up to me. So now I don't take out my droid while eating unless I absolutely have to.
STOGEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #1386 (permalink)
añejo
 
Andiline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 9,961
Send a message via Skype™ to Andiline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexisv View Post
Besides, am I the only one who thinks it is rude when I am having lunch with a friend......Friend pulls out phone and texts in Karen is at Coffee Depot with Jane Doe. Are we not having lunch together? We should be having a conversation. I am just old fashioned with manners I guess.
When I am invited at a certain friend's house there is a couple that is playing with their phones all the time. You could think they were communicating with each other instead of the people who are surrounding them. We are making fun of them for that.

And Erika, I had seen that the app does not exist any more. Still... less info you have in your profile less problems you have with Facebook's privacy policy (which is that there is no privacy...). I am always surprised how many people have their profiles open to public (even my colleagues from IT) or who enters address, phone no. etc. I don't do that (and don't friend colleagues either - this is another one of my principles).
Andiline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #1387 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 52,683
I guess I never worry too much about privacy issues. Who would be interested enoughin my little life for it to be an issue? Worrying about that seems more than a little paranoid to me. But perhaps I am too trusting, or too naive.

If I were a young single woman I think it would be a bigger concern, but really, what is there to worry about....people have better things to do that stalk or creep on little ol' me....


I have friended co-workers, it's too awkward to refuse when they send friend requests. But there is a simple, easy fix for that- simply make them into a list and then when you post anything, you simply hide it from that list/people. Easy peasy.

Last edited by Rissask; 03-31-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #1388 (permalink)
añejo
 
deep six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,481
I'm not on facebook.
I have enough bad habits wasting my time.
deep six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #1389 (permalink)
añejo
 
melliedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 28,095
Facebook: The Perfect Place to Disown Your Crappy Relatives
melliedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #1390 (permalink)
añejo
 
Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 11,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
I guess I never worry too much about privacy issues. Who would be interested enoughin my little life for it to be an issue? Worrying about that seems more than a little paranoid to me. But perhaps I am too trusting, or too naive.

If I were a young single woman I think it would be a bigger concern, but really, what is there to worry about....people have better things to do that stalk or creep on little ol' me....


I have friended co-workers, it's too awkward to refuse when they send friend requests. But there is a simple, easy fix for that- simply make them into a list and then when you post anything, you simply hide it from that list/people. Easy peasy.
I agree. Not too worried about stalkers this late in the game. At my age, I'd probably consider it a compliment! I do have a few people who are "subscribed" to me, and I don't know who they are. But they only get to see what I mark as "public".

Yep, listing is the way to go. I list everybody, and filter my statuses accordingly.

I only friend people I know...although, not necessarily ones I have met! Many are from this board.

I have an old high-school friend who has thousands of friends, most of them she doesn't know. Some seem pretty weird, too, from what they post on her stuff. But to each their own!
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #1391 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 52,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by melliedee View Post

Quote:

Recently, a friend of mine posted a fairly innocuous pro-gay-marriage statement on his Facebook wall, causing some batshit country aunt of his to comment (I'm paraphrasing), "But God and the Bible and AIDS! AIDS!!! THE BABY JESUS! AAAAAAAIDS!!!" This kicked off a quick but bloody argument, involving my friend, his gay friends, his straight friends, his batshit country aunt, the memory of his closeted (and tormented) gay uncle, AIDS, racism, and the baby Jesus's tender baby-feelings.

bwahahahahaha!!!

That's a good article!

I have not been put in that position by relatives, just by friends.....I am sure some of my posts/shares/status updates horrify some of my more staid relatives, but they are far too polite or meek to say anything to me about it on Facebook.

I have found it to be a funny, surprising, but also sometimes saddening and disheartening way to learn more about some of my relatives and acquaintances, for sure. I had no idea until facebook that some of them were as political/redneck/hippie-ish as they are.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012   #1392 (permalink)
JEZ
añejo
 
JEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 10th Street
Posts: 5,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
bwahahahahaha!!!

That's a good article!

I have not been put in that position by relatives, just by friends.....I am sure some of my posts/shares/status updates horrify some of my more staid relatives, but they are far too polite or meek to say anything to me about it on Facebook.

I have found it to be a funny, surprising, but also sometimes saddening and disheartening way to learn more about some of my relatives and acquaintances, for sure. I had no idea until facebook that some of them were as political/redneck/hippie-ish as they are.
I never quite know what to expect on my facebook page. Like you I've found it quite surprising to see the reaction to some of the content which I comment about or post.

No matter, Facebook is still a brilliant thing, which is why I want to revive this thread. Sitting in my new cafe this morning, a bunch of old friends came by for breakfast and to wish me luck. Some of us hadn't see others for some time, but we all knew what was going on in each others lives due to Facebook. Locally in Playa it really works well and I definitely pick up on new restaurants and "happenings" from my fellow Playense.

So since we have all been FBers for sometime now, what is it that you enjoy the most? Is it the photos? Perhaps the ease of keeping in touch with distant friends or something else? I remember when I used to log on everyday to play a race car and a pirate ship game which limited me to a certain number of games/ time!
JEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #1393 (permalink)
añejo
 
snappysammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,736
i only log on to see what jez is up to
snappysammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #1394 (permalink)
JEZ
añejo
 
JEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 10th Street
Posts: 5,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappysammy View Post
i only log on to see what jez is up to
lol!
JEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #1395 (permalink)
añejo
 
Thor Henning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Drammen, Norway
Posts: 4,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
I agree. Not too worried about stalkers this late in the game. At my age, I'd probably consider it a compliment! I do have a few people who are "subscribed" to me, and I don't know who they are. But they only get to see what I mark as "public".

Yep, listing is the way to go. I list everybody, and filter my statuses accordingly.

I only friend people I know...although, not necessarily ones I have met! Many are from this board.

I have an old high-school friend who has thousands of friends, most of them she doesn't know. Some seem pretty weird, too, from what they post on her stuff. But to each their own!
I agree too. No restrictions. And I'm not afraid of stalkers.
I use lists both to restrict what people see and to dirict what i am writing.
Thor Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.