Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > News, gossip, ...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008   #1 (permalink)
Licence to kill
 
Mindbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shifting Sands
Posts: 5,745
HC on 1st update!

Eager to dispel or confirm the rumours, I am happy to proclaim that the original HC on 1st Avenue is still pulsing, albeit with:

A new administration.

A new name - 'Super Carne CH' (cunning eh?) is enscribed upon the menu, although the building sign is yet to materialise.

But thankfully, an old menu - phew. We indulged ourselves today and can report the 'Paquete Nacional' is just the same.
Mindbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #2 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Lillibet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Beautiful part of north UK
Posts: 304
Send a message via Skype™ to Lillibet
Do they cook the jacket spuds at the one on 1st?
Lillibet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #3 (permalink)
Licence to kill
 
Mindbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shifting Sands
Posts: 5,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibet View Post
Do they cook the jacket spuds at the one on 1st?
I think they were taken by surprise that night due to the large numbers of customers they received and some spuds were undercooked.
Although they're never cooked all crumbly and fluffy, as is your preference.

(Sorry we missed seeing you again - our interior design projects swallowed all our time up. We actually had a day off at last, and slept until 1 in the afternoon!).
Mindbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #4 (permalink)
toe in water
 
rainyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: bc
Posts: 50
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I've been wondering. We are staying at Xaman Ha condos in March & will return for sure. Are they selling the grilled meat by the kilo still at this location?
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #5 (permalink)
Licence to kill
 
Mindbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shifting Sands
Posts: 5,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
Are they selling the grilled meat by the kilo still at this location?
I didn't check. However, they told us all is unchanged.
Mindbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #6 (permalink)
aņejo
 
monte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: dallas
Posts: 12,804
great newsthanks for the update.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #7 (permalink)
toe in water
 
rainyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: bc
Posts: 50
great! thanks.
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #8 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Lillibet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Beautiful part of north UK
Posts: 304
Send a message via Skype™ to Lillibet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbender View Post
I think they were taken by surprise that night due to the large numbers of customers they received and some spuds were undercooked.
Although they're never cooked all crumbly and fluffy, as is your preference.
(Sorry we missed seeing you again - our interior design projects swallowed all our time up. We actually had a day off at last, and slept until 1 in the afternoon!).
I was only japing. We enjoyed the meal there - thanks .

No worries. Good to hear that you had some rest at long last (make sure Jacqui stays OFF the ladder )
Lillibet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #9 (permalink)
Licence to kill
 
Mindbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shifting Sands
Posts: 5,745
Nice shot of you Liz - you almost look like you have a tan!

Do we get a mini trip report of your drive up Florida? Oranges, long roads, reeds, flat landscape, more reeds, oranges, giant mouse, car parks, flat landscape...
Mindbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #10 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibet View Post
Do they cook the jacket spuds at the one on 1st?
Skip the spud and get the baked onion - delicious.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #11 (permalink)
life=playa
 
nng88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Atlantic City,NJ
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Skip the spud and get the baked onion - delicious.
i totally agree!

less calories too for those who care!
nng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #12 (permalink)
aņejo
 
queencityfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,397
Good to know this since we are staying in that part of town this trip.
queencityfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #13 (permalink)
reposado
 
diogeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: bloomington, IN and playa
Posts: 1,421
clarification for a carnivore

I'm sure someone has written knowledgeably on this, but since I've actually been in PDC for three months, I haven't posted or read much on the board. I've heard conflicting rumours, as noted, on the connections or lack thereof between and among the three Super Carne/HC Monterreys in town. Can someone clarify or point me to the discussion of the issue. I can't seem to get a consistent answer from folks on this issue.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbender View Post
Eager to dispel or confirm the rumours, I am happy to proclaim that the original HC on 1st Avenue is still pulsing, albeit with:

A new administration.

A new name - 'Super Carne CH' (cunning eh?) is enscribed upon the menu, although the building sign is yet to materialise.

But thankfully, an old menu - phew. We indulged ourselves today and can report the 'Paquete Nacional' is just the same.
diogeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #14 (permalink)
US Consular Agent PdC

 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 15,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogeron View Post
I'm sure someone has written knowledgeably on this, but since I've actually been in PDC for three months, I haven't posted or read much on the board. I've heard conflicting rumours, as noted, on the connections or lack thereof between and among the three Super Carne/HC Monterreys in town. Can someone clarify or point me to the discussion of the issue. I can't seem to get a consistent answer from folks on this issue.

Thanks
The old location of HC Super Carne is now under new ownership, with the name CH (very clever, eh?). Apparently the product is the same, so no big deal in my opinion.

There are two "new" locations of HC de Monterrey, one on CTM (don't know the cross streets, but it's been mentioned on another thread somewhere) and the other on Constituyentes between avenidas 25 and 30. This latter location is where I always go, since it's just around the corner from my house.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #15 (permalink)
aņejo
Merchant
 
Michele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen, QR, MX
Posts: 6,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
The old location of HC Super Carne is now under new ownership, with the name CH (very clever, eh?). Apparently the product is the same, so no big deal in my opinion.

There are two "new" locations of HC de Monterrey, one on CTM (don't know the cross streets, but it's been mentioned on another thread somewhere) and the other on Constituyentes between avenidas 25 and 30. This latter location is where I always go, since it's just around the corner from my house.
All true. HC is a franchise. Someone should open one up on Cozumel or in Tulum. Any takers?

We love having the location on Constituyentes!!
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.