Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > News, gossip, ...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008   #1 (permalink)
US Consular Agent PdC

 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 15,166
Another fire in Paamul last night

At about 2.30 am I got a text message from Susie Q Roo saying there was another fire in Paamul.

I've been trying to call her all day and couldn't get through so I was really worried and called Chief Brian Borjesson of the Bomberos. Brian confirmed there was a fire, but that no one was hurt and only one palapa was lost. He said the firemen arrived quickly and got the situation under control right away, which most likely spared lots of other palapas. Some of you might remember that 4 years ago there was a devastating fire in Paamul that took out 18 or 20 homes.

I'm so grateful that no one was hurt and the loss was minimal (though the poor soul whose home was lost probably is devastated). Please keep them in your prayers today.

This just hammered home to me the importance of supporting our local firemen, and I'm so honored to be a part of this community. There's a fundraiser going on tomorrow, a Three Legged Bar Crawl, to benefit the Riviera Maya Bomberos, so please donate if you haven't already.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #2 (permalink)
Licence to kill
 
Mindbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shifting Sands
Posts: 5,745
Sorry to hear the bad news.

Glad to hear nobody was hurt.
Mindbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #3 (permalink)
life=playa
 
bedeaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Trappe, PA
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
At about 2.30 am I got a text message from Susie Q Roo saying there was another fire in Paamul.

I've been trying to call her all day and couldn't get through so I was really worried and called Chief Brian Borjesson of the Bomberos. Brian confirmed there was a fire, but that no one was hurt and only one palapa was lost. He said the firemen arrived quickly and got the situation under control right away, which most likely spared lots of other palapas. Some of you might remember that 4 years ago there was a devastating fire in Paamul that took out 18 or 20 homes.

I'm so grateful that no one was hurt and the loss was minimal (though the poor soul whose home was lost probably is devastated). Please keep them in your prayers today.

This just hammered home to me the importance of supporting our local firemen, and I'm so honored to be a part of this community. There's a fundraiser going on tomorrow, a Three Legged Bar Crawl, to benefit the Riviera Maya Bomberos, so please donate if you haven't already.

Thanks for the info Heather. I'm glad everyone is safe. Knowing what good souls Rick and Susie are - I'm sure they are out helping in some way. Don't worry.
bedeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #4 (permalink)
Life=Playa (almost)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 4,500
That's too bad but luckily everyone is safe. Palapas can be replaced!
u2girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #5 (permalink)
US Consular Agent PdC

 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 15,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2girlie View Post
That's too bad but luckily everyone is safe. Palapas can be replaced!
I should clarify that these people most likely lost much, if not all, of their home. In Paamul, the trailers/livings spaces are under palapas, so it's likely that they lost all of that, not just the palapa roof.

But you're exactly right, it's just stuff, and stuff can be replaced!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #6 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,588
we just now got power restored
this is our biggest fear in Paamul...fire with acres and acres of dry tinder palapas
An electrical line, due to the salt water on the line and the light rain, began arcing and caught the palapa on fire.
Before the bomberos arrived, we scavenged all of the fire extinguishers we could find (30 to 40) and attempts were made to fight the fire, but with little success. And a couple local heros experienced some pretty intense jolts when they got a bit too close to the downed lines.
When the bomberos arrived, they attempted to douse the flames, but they too were experiencing some wicked shocks.
Eventually the power was cut and the fire was brought under control.
Five trucks and crews were here to fight the fire.
We are thankful for the sudden decrease in winds last night, the light rain just before the fire and, of course, the bomberos which no doubt saved us from something potentially devastating.
Give it up folks for the bomberos!!




this will give you an idea how much ash was in the air



Last edited by Babaloo; 03-21-2008 at 04:07 PM..
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #7 (permalink)
US Consular Agent PdC

 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 15,166
Oh, Rick, how terrible. Thank you for posting, I'm so glad you are all ok and that no one was hurt. I think it's a miracle that the palapas next door to this huge blaze didn't catch! Thank God!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #8 (permalink)
life=playa
 
bedeaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Trappe, PA
Posts: 771
OMG! That is scary. I fear fire. And I live in a cinder block house. I can't imagine what you guys must have been feeling. Glad you are safe!


OH and Bomberos!

Last edited by bedeaway; 03-21-2008 at 04:14 PM..
bedeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #9 (permalink)
Life=Playa (almost)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 4,500
Wow! As you describe it, dry tinder and an electrical fire is a worst case scenario for you guys in Paamul.
u2girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #10 (permalink)
Gus
beachaholic
 
Gus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nevada
Posts: 445
Send a message via AIM to Gus
Wow...I know my buddy Jeff and the infamous Jaime were just there. Hope everything is okay, and things can get back to normal quickly.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #11 (permalink)
aņejo
 
myhappyplace2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The big D with some other kool peeps>
Posts: 3,371
Send a message via AIM to myhappyplace2
You and Susie are safe and sound I hope. Was anyone living in the palapa at the time of the fire? Those bomberos are awesome.
myhappyplace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #12 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhappyplace2 View Post
You and Susie are safe and sound I hope. Was anyone living in the palapa at the time of the fire? Those bomberos are awesome.
yes..a Canadian couple were sleeping. They were heading back to Canada this morning so they had the windows boarded up until their return next fall. They couldn't see or hear anything. Just across the road, some Mexicans on holiday saw what was happening and ran over and pounded on their door to get them out. Good thing those guys were playing cards outside at 3 in the morning.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #13 (permalink)
US Consular Agent PdC

 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 15,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
yes..a Canadian couple were sleeping. They were heading back to Canada this morning so they had the windows boarded up until their return next fall. They couldn't see or hear anything. Just across the road, some Mexicans on holiday saw what was happening and ran over and pounded on their door to get them out. Good thing those guys were playing cards outside at 3 in the morning.
Oh, that gave me goosebumps. Thank heaven.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #14 (permalink)
Resident Moderator

 
Susie Q Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Q Roo
Posts: 17,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Oh, Rick, how terrible. Thank you for posting, I'm so glad you are all ok and that no one was hurt. I think it's a miracle that the palapas next door to this huge blaze didn't catch! Thank God!
Actually, each of the adjoining palapas suffered some fire damage as well. The neighbors were out in force helping everyone clean up this morning. It's all fixable, thank goodness.

We did hear that the one that suffered the most damage had fire-treated their palapa roof. Apparently, this made a HUGE difference as it took a very long time for the flames to make much progress on it. I think if it hadn't been, the damage would have been MUCH more widespread than it was. The bomberos definitely need all the help they can get as there was only one nozzle between the two trucks that first arrived - someone had stolen the other. Once they got going strong though, they did an excellent job. Yay, Playa Bomberos!

Scary, scary night.

EDIT: And Heather, my phone battery was dying and we didn't have power, so that's why you couldn't reach me - sorry!

Last edited by Susie Q Roo; 03-21-2008 at 05:00 PM..
Susie Q Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #15 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Buggirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: on an island in the sea.....
Posts: 8,242
Wow, those photos are scary. I'm so glad no one was hurt- I'm sure it could have been much worse....

Great job to the bomberos but also how great is it that so many people turned out to help- you have some quality neighbors there in Paamul....


(and to whoever stole the nozzle off the fire truck- what a pile of )
Buggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.