Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5746 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
Sheesh...it sure does rain here a lot!
Only during rainy season. Once it is over, it hardly rains at all.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5747 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 225
I thought November was a dry month. Clearly I was wrong!!!
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5748 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
I thought November was a dry month. Clearly I was wrong!!!
Clearly
Babaloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5749 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
Sheesh...it sure does rain here a lot!
I've lived here a long time. This is the longest and wettest rainy season here I can remember.
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5750 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
I've lived here a long time. This is the longest and wettest rainy season here I can remember.
Three or four years ago it seemed it rained everyday from June through the middle of November. Nothing had a chance to dry out. If the walls weren’t green- they were black. Just awful.
Babaloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5751 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Three or four years ago it seemed it rained everyday from June through the middle of November. Nothing had a chance to dry out. If the walls weren’t green- they were black. Just awful.
Four years ago, the November before we moved here, this side of the Peninsula had its wettest November on record. I know we are 300 kilometers or so away from you, but... When we moved into our long-term rental we requested that a new impermeabilizante coat or two was applied to the roof of the house. Just had it done again this year.
roni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5752 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 225
We discovered a few roof leaks last month. Had the entire roof patched, cleaned and recoated. So far so good.

It was amazing what they found up there. In addition to soda bottles and all kinds of trash there was a plastic bucket with a tree growing out of it. We planted it our yard...
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5753 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
We discovered a few roof leaks last month. Had the entire roof patched, cleaned and recoated. So far so good.

It was amazing what they found up there. In addition to soda bottles and all kinds of trash there was a plastic bucket with a tree growing out of it. We planted it our yard...

And my outdoor cacti seem to be drowning from the sheer volume of water

And I had my first roof leak in my condo and I have been living here for 9 years. Was tracking down the possible area of the leak this morning.....in between the pouring down rain.
And I also found a half full (or was it half empty?) water bottle and various scraps of drywall and various other crap in the space above my ceiling.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5754 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,381
Yes, thanks to these rains, we've discovered a couple of skylights with (easily reparable) leaks. But worse, we discovered there is some more serious problem, as water is somehow seeping up and out between the floor tiles of a 2nd floor bathroom...
ryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5755 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post

And my outdoor cacti seem to be drowning from the sheer volume of water

And I had my first roof leak in my condo and I have been living here for 9 years. Was tracking down the possible area of the leak this morning.....in between the pouring down rain.
And I also found a half full (or was it half empty?) water bottle and various scraps of drywall and various other crap in the space above my ceiling.
How often is the impermeable coating applied to the roof?
roni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5756 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,361
I'm hoping the rain stops, or at least dwindles down, by the time I get there.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5757 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
I'm hoping the rain stops, or at least dwindles down, by the time I get there.
Had some this morning but it's bright and sunny now, like we haven't seen since at least about last Friday afternoon.
ryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5758 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 225
What is that big yellow orb in the sky that is calling for me to go to the beach????
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5759 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
How often is the impermeable coating applied to the roof?
My roof is concrete covered by tile. Actually, I think the leak is coming from a overflow drain on my hot tub. I am waiting until things dry out a little before I check it out further. For now, I have a turkey roasting pan in my (drop) ceiling to catch the drips.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5760 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
How often is the impermeable coating applied to the roof?
Depends on the quality of the last job. Normally, every 4 or 5 years.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.