Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008   #16 (permalink)
Travel Insurance Tester

 
Shammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Joisey Shore
Posts: 18,673
GREAT thread Susita! I've been to Paamul a few times but mostly when it's been dark or getting dark (think your b-day party ). I walked one of the roads looking at some of the palapas but because it was dark, I couldn't really see them. And ya know, I've never seen YOUR palapa Susie!
Shammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #17 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Bluespicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PdC
Posts: 5,701
Thanks for the picture tour Susie!
Bluespicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #18 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Thor Henning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Drammen, Norway
Posts: 4,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Q Roo View Post
(Not that it matters, but I think this was a pretty good start for my next 10,000 posts! )
I agree with you Susie. And congratulations with the 10,000 posts!
Thor Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #19 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Buggirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: on an island in the sea.....
Posts: 8,241
Great thread, Susie I've always wondered what Paamul was like! Great pictures! It looks like a laid-back, beautiful place to live or visit- we'll have to make it there sometime.
Buggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #20 (permalink)
aņejo
 
maestranba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,102
Thanks for the tour, Susie! Someday, we may be joining you down there!
maestranba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #21 (permalink)
aņejo
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: INDY
Posts: 2,442
Hey Susie, nice post and pics. I do have some serious ?'s. What if I had the money to buy/invest but was only able to be there a few weeks a year? Would I possibly experience the same type of situation that is going on in Tulum? What would stop any Mexican land barren from coming in to Paamul and doing the same thing that is happening in Tulum. From your pics and knowing the area, I would be very interested buying. My only thing is I could not be there full time for several years. After what has been going on down there with Tulum, it makes one uneasy.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #22 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Hey Susie, nice post and pics. I do have some serious ?'s. What if I had the money to buy/invest but was only able to be there a few weeks a year? Would I possibly experience the same type of situation that is going on in Tulum? What would stop any Mexican land barren from coming in to Paamul and doing the same thing that is happening in Tulum. From your pics and knowing the area, I would be very interested buying. My only thing is I could not be there full time for several years. After what has been going on down there with Tulum, it makes one uneasy.
You aren't buying property...just the dwelling
The property is already owned by the land baron
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #23 (permalink)
Resident Moderator

 
Susie Q Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Q Roo
Posts: 17,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Hey Susie, nice post and pics. I do have some serious ?'s. What if I had the money to buy/invest but was only able to be there a few weeks a year? Would I possibly experience the same type of situation that is going on in Tulum? What would stop any Mexican land barren from coming in to Paamul and doing the same thing that is happening in Tulum. From your pics and knowing the area, I would be very interested buying. My only thing is I could not be there full time for several years. After what has been going on down there with Tulum, it makes one uneasy.
Paamul is owned by the same Mexican family who has owned it for decades. The owner is currently a political appointee in the local administration and has DEEP roots in the community, the military, and the government. In fact, rumor has it that the property was given to his forefathers BY the government in exchange for excellent military leadership. There's no taking this away from him. And, supposedly, it's a turtle sanctuary, therefore ecological laws prohibit the building of a resort-type construction here. So, like buying anywhere in Mexico, or, for that matter, any "foreign" country, ya gotta have a little faith. I wouldn't be here if I didn't have my share of it.
Susie Q Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #24 (permalink)
aņejo
 
silvergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,951
Send a message via Yahoo to silvergirl Send a message via Skype™ to silvergirl
I really love this thread, Susie! Thank you so much for doing it.

I think Paamul is fascinating! I definately have to make a point of visiting down your way on my next trip. I would love a little piece of Paamul paradise someday! Looks like so many are for sale. I'd love to take a peek. Why don't the owners rent out their palapa if they only use it a few times a year? Are they able to do that? Can the fees change yearly or do you have to sign a contract for a certain period of time? What is in the trailers.......bedrooms? The rest of the rooms such as kitchen and baths are open air? It really boggles my mind that you just leave your blender, toaster, coffee maker, dishes and what not sitting right there in the open......

I guess for those that are gone alot, they must pack everything up and store it in the locked trailer?
silvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #25 (permalink)
syl
aņejo
 
syl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: santa ynez
Posts: 8,120
john and i had agreat day in paamul....the beach was not crowded we enjoyed the restuarant and had fun walking down the beach discovering the little things!!!!thanks for starting this thread.. i will look for some pics
syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #26 (permalink)
Resident Moderator

 
Susie Q Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Q Roo
Posts: 17,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergirl View Post
I really love this thread, Susie! Thank you so much for doing it.

I think Paamul is fascinating! I definately have to make a point of visiting down your way on my next trip. I would love a little piece of Paamul paradise someday! Looks like so many are for sale. I'd love to take a peek. Why don't the owners rent out their palapa if they only use it a few times a year? Are they able to do that? Can the fees change yearly or do you have to sign a contract for a certain period of time? What is in the trailers.......bedrooms? The rest of the rooms such as kitchen and baths are open air? It really boggles my mind that you just leave your blender, toaster, coffee maker, dishes and what not sitting right there in the open......

I guess for those that are gone alot, they must pack everything up and store it in the locked trailer?
Yes, the part-timers store their loose items inside somewhere or (large things) securely outside so they don't blow away. Nope, renting is prohibited, because they don't want competition with their rental units here. The fees can change at any time... you can pay by the day if you need to, just costs MUCH more. The rental rates have gone up only once in my 4+ years though. Trailers contain beds, computers, usually a small bath and cooking area, though some people take them out. Some people enclose their bathroom, but I think open air is better for... um... circulation. And yes, we have good security here, so most things stay where you leave them. Like I said... it's a very unique place, particularly for Mexico.

Last edited by Susie Q Roo; 07-29-2008 at 08:54 PM..
Susie Q Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #27 (permalink)
aņejo
 
NoAngelx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Edmonton CANADA
Posts: 2,053
Send a message via MSN to NoAngelx
Looks so beautiful Susie!! I still hope to make it out there one of these trips!!
NoAngelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #28 (permalink)
Resident Moderator

 
Susie Q Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Q Roo
Posts: 17,620
I knew I had a picture of the open-air bathroom somewhere... there IS a curtain in the doorway now, though.

Susie Q Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #29 (permalink)
way into it
 
smardie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle Wa
Posts: 241
I love reading about this place, Thanks suzie.
I am embarrassed to admit, I don't know where Paamul is???
How far from Playa?
Thanks.
smardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #30 (permalink)
Resident Moderator

 
Susie Q Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Q Roo
Posts: 17,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by smardie View Post
I love reading about this place, Thanks suzie.
I am embarrassed to admit, I don't know where Paamul is???
How far from Playa?
Thanks.
No need to be embarrassed. I'd say a lot of people don't know where it is. It's about 10 miles south of town, before you get to Puerto Aventuras.
Susie Q Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.