Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2013   #94126 (permalink)
aņejo
 
melliedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 30,354
Not a big fan of sweet potatoes, either. I usually try a little bite just to be sure.

Happy Thanksgiving, Randomville! I just shredded half a pound of Gruyere for my creamed spinach gratin. Oh. My. God. Can't keep cheese that divine in the house, but glad I splurged for the good stuff.
melliedee is offline   Reply With Quote
register to remove these adverts
Old 11-28-2013   #94127 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 55,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
My mom used to make me a pumpkin pie every thanksgiving. One year (when I was around 30 years old) I asked her for the recipe. She said she had never made a pumpkin pie in her life. uh oh. Mom's slipping. " um... mom? You have made me pumpkin pies my whole life."

"No Dana. I have made you sweet potato pie your whole life."

sweet potato pie? Like, mashed and mixed with cinammon, in a PIE with crust? Never heard of that!

I LOVE sweet potatoes but only as oven fries, with rosemary and olive oil, some pepper and sea salt- not mixed with brown sugar or marshmallows or whatever. Gag.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #94128 (permalink)
Resident Moderator

 
Susie Q Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Q Roo
Posts: 17,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by melliedee View Post
Not a big fan of sweet potatoes, either. I usually try a little bite just to be sure.

Happy Thanksgiving, Randomville! I just shredded half a pound of Gruyere for my creamed spinach gratin. Oh. My. God. Can't keep cheese that divine in the house, but glad I splurged for the good stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
sweet potato pie? Like, mashed and mixed with cinammon, in a PIE with crust? Never heard of that!

I LOVE sweet potatoes but only as oven fries, with rosemary and olive oil, some pepper and sea salt- not mixed with brown sugar or marshmallows or whatever. Gag.
Yeah, what Maggie said. Sweet potatoes are EVER so much better savory than gaggingly oversweetened. I don't use the rosemary, but they are great sliced into whatever shape you want them, tossed with olive oil, fresh ground pepper, and ground pink Himalayan sea salt then oven roasted/crisped. I promise you, you'd love 'em that way!

Also, THIS recipe is TO DIE FOR, even though I can never get them to turn out the way the pictures show.

Susie Q Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #94129 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 55,617
That link won't work for me....but they look so good ...can you try again or just cut and paste the recipe por favor, Susie?
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #94130 (permalink)
Resident Moderator

 
Susie Q Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Q Roo
Posts: 17,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
That link won't work for me....but they look so good ...can you try again or just cut and paste the recipe por favor, Susie?
I edited... it should work now!
Susie Q Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #94131 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
sweet potato pie? Like, mashed and mixed with cinammon, in a PIE with crust? Never heard of that!

I LOVE sweet potatoes but only as oven fries, with rosemary and olive oil, some pepper and sea salt- not mixed with brown sugar or marshmallows or whatever. Gag.
Yes. Maybe with sweetened condensed milk? Not really sure. A southern thing, I think. Tastes like a pumpkin pie. As far as sweet potatoes, savory seasoning like you said, for me too. Either oven fries or on the grill. Great with BBQ and cole slaw.
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #94132 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Q Roo View Post
Yeah, what Maggie said. Sweet potatoes are EVER so much better savory than gaggingly oversweetened. I don't use the rosemary, but they are great sliced into whatever shape you want them, tossed with olive oil, fresh ground pepper, and ground pink Himalayan sea salt then oven roasted/crisped. I promise you, you'd love 'em that way!

Also, THIS recipe is TO DIE FOR, even though I can never get them to turn out the way the pictures show.

That looks great too!
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #94133 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,091
Colleen and I and my youngest daughter, went to my oldest daughter's house in Portland for dinner. About 120 miles away. After dinner, we were on our way home. 30 miles down the hwy, my youngest says "oh shit. You're going to be so mad at me! I left my purse at Cetera's house." So 120 miles up, and 180 miles back. Damn kids.
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #94134 (permalink)
life=playa
 
wired529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: saskatchewan
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
Colleen and I and my youngest daughter, went to my oldest daughter's house in Portland for dinner. About 120 miles away. After dinner, we were on our way home. 30 miles down the hwy, my youngest says "oh shit. You're going to be so mad at me! I left my purse at Cetera's house." So 120 miles up, and 180 miles back. Damn kids.
Ahhhhhh kids. The gift that keeps giving. Hope your turkey day was a happy one despite the five hour drive.
wired529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #94135 (permalink)
reposado
 
MayanNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: "Right-side" of Texas
Posts: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
Colleen and I and my youngest daughter, went to my oldest daughter's house in Portland for dinner. About 120 miles away. After dinner, we were on our way home. 30 miles down the hwy, my youngest says "oh shit. You're going to be so mad at me! I left my purse at Cetera's house." So 120 miles up, and 180 miles back. Damn kids.
Lol! You da' man for turning around and going back! I would of told youngest daughter that I were not mad at her at all (things/s**t happen), then I would of called oldest daughter and tell her to box up the purse and overnight it to youngest daughter (after taking enough funds out of the purse to cover the shipping)!
MayanNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #94136 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 55,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Q Roo View Post
I edited... it should work now!
yup, it did!

I am trying to avoid adding sugar to things these days, but it looks really yummy, for a special dinner maybe I will try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
Colleen and I and my youngest daughter, went to my oldest daughter's house in Portland for dinner. About 120 miles away. After dinner, we were on our way home. 30 miles down the hwy, my youngest says "oh shit. You're going to be so mad at me! I left my purse at Cetera's house." So 120 miles up, and 180 miles back. Damn kids.
Good dad.

Is Cetara short for Etcetera?


Got our new tree up last night and all decorated....it is sweet, a slim 7.5' pre-lit one from Costco. The only negative is that it sheds multicolour sparkles and fake snow when touched. I had to vacuum the hardwood for about an hour after decorating.

I decorated and Don sat there playing MyVegas on his iPad and making helpful comments.


btw if anyone has an iPad 3 and has issues connecting to the Internet on Wifi after doing the lates ioS7 update, I will post the bug fix I found that actually works.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #94137 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired529 View Post
Ahhhhhh kids. The gift that keeps giving. Hope your turkey day was a happy one despite the five hour drive.
All good. The extra hour tacked on pissed me off ONLY because I was full and wanted to get home and unbuckle my pants. But I just growled under my breath and whipped a u turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayanNut View Post
Lol! You da' man for turning around and going back! I would of told youngest daughter that I were not mad at her at all (things/s**t happen), then I would of called oldest daughter and tell her to box up the purse and overnight it to youngest daughter (after taking enough funds out of the purse to cover the shipping)!
Oh I thought about that! But her car keys, house keys and more importantly, money was in the purse. Afterall, it IS black Friday. Couldn't wait until Tuesday for UPS. Oh Gawd no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
yup, it did!

I am trying to avoid adding sugar to things these days, but it looks really yummy, for a special dinner maybe I will try it!



Good dad.

Is Cetara short for Etcetera?
I have no idea where her mom got that name. Cetera jokes that her mom was a Chicago fan.

Got our new tree up last night and all decorated....it is sweet, a slim 7.5' pre-lit one from Costco. The only negative is that it sheds multicolour sparkles and fake snow when touched. I had to vacuum the hardwood for about an hour after decorating.

I decorated and Don sat there playing MyVegas on his iPad and making helpful comments.


btw if anyone has an iPad 3 and has issues connecting to the Internet on Wifi after doing the lates ioS7 update, I will post the bug fix I found that actually works.
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #94138 (permalink)
aņejo
 
bearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
All good. The extra hour tacked on pissed me off ONLY because I was full and wanted to get home and unbuckle my pants. But I just growled under my breath and whipped a u turn.



Oh I thought about that! But her car keys, house keys and more importantly, money was in the purse. Afterall, it IS black Friday. Couldn't wait until Tuesday for UPS. Oh Gawd no!
My kids went out last night with their friends at midnight for Black Friday. I don't get it. I can order the same stuff for less money and receive it within 2 days, free shipping, from Amazon. Why on earth would I choose to stand in line at midnight to pay more money for stuff that I won't give out for another month? So many questions....
bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #94139 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat View Post
My kids went out last night with their friends at midnight for Black Friday. I don't get it. I can order the same stuff for less money and receive it within 2 days, free shipping, from Amazon. Why on earth would I choose to stand in line at midnight to pay more money for stuff that I won't give out for another month? So many questions....
I have always compared it my anticipation to opening day fishing and hunting seasons. You wait all year. Lay out a plan. Beat the others to that prime spot and bring home the trophy. But then, I don't do that anymore either. I have adopted the "Ah screw it. I'll go next weekend." Mentality.
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #94140 (permalink)
aņejo
 
bearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
I have always compared it my anticipation to opening day fishing and hunting seasons. You wait all year. Lay out a plan. Beat the others to that prime spot and bring home the trophy. But then, I don't do that anymore either. I have adopted the "Ah screw it. I'll go next weekend." Mentality.
Sounds like my approach to football season.
bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.