Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009   #1 (permalink)
reposado
 
playafava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Playa Baby!!!!!
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via Yahoo to playafava
$50-60,000 houses??

I have been told by locals in Playa, and even seen on Playa.info, that houses can be found for 50-60,000 US, a couple miles from "downtown".

Does anyone know how I would go about finding them??? When I do searches, or even talk to bienes Raices, it seems like they just want to show the condos, beachfront etc..
playafava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #2 (permalink)
aņejo
Merchant
 
Michele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen, QR, MX
Posts: 6,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by playafava View Post
I have been told by locals in Playa, and even seen on Playa.info, that houses can be found for 50-60,000 US, a couple miles from "downtown".

Does anyone know how I would go about finding them??? When I do searches, or even talk to bienes Raices, it seems like they just want to show the condos, beachfront etc..
There were about 120 inexpensive casitas in Chemuyil last year. At the time prices were about $40,000 usd. Might be some resales now. North of Playa in Xcalacoco, I have seem 2 bedroom homes at in expensive as $75,000 usd. I would imagine across the highway you can find some options. You should look in the classifieds on Andale. You will likely not find listings like this on many real estate websites. Finding deals like this requires a lot of personal time and footwork but they are out there if you are persistent. Be sure to have a very good real estate attorney check and recheck the title and prepare the paperwork carefully before you hand over any money. Often if a deal seems to good to be true, it is.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #3 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
mstevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 444
There was a discussion in this thread http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carm...ace-playa.html about a house purchased for 680,000 pesos. As of 13 March 2009, that's roughly $46,876.02US (don't forget those two pennies!). The development's website is at playazul.

Here's a link 113 Chemuyil in Akumal to what is probably one of the Chemuyil casitas referred to above being resold for $37,500US.

Obviously, these are by no stretch beach houses, or even anything with a view or its own lot. On the other hand, lots of people drive cars that cost twice as much and would spend that much on hotel rooms over a 10-or-so-year period. If you really intend to spend that much time in the area, a cheapo little house might be a decent idea. I suspect the rental market is MUCH better for fancier, beach-ier, view-ier, location-ier places, so you probably need to crunch your financials without much expectation of getting any rental income.

As you might tell from what links I had sitting in my bookmarks, I've been doing very similar daydreaming to what I suspect you are.
mstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #4 (permalink)
aņejo
Merchant
 
Michele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen, QR, MX
Posts: 6,263
The listing the homes for sale in Chemuyil is no longer up to date. This was the original pricing from last year before they bumped the prices. Rob was one of the developers of the project. I heard one of them just resold for $90K. Not a bad return after 12 months or so.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #5 (permalink)
reposado
 
playafava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Playa Baby!!!!!
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via Yahoo to playafava
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post

As you might tell from what links I had sitting in my bookmarks, I've been doing very similar daydreaming to what I suspect you are.

Yes, I have been doing the same daydreaming. In two years or less I'll be hopefully still single(requirement for any woman interested in serious relationship is willingness to go to Playa with me), and Kids will both be in college. I'll still have a couple years of relative youth left, and I won't need to work for money(just for fun and gratification).

I am thinking of just renting, but thought having a place of my own to live half the year, or maybe more would be nice. I don't mind living in the community, it would be nice to be a part of the "local" population.

I would really love to have an ocean view condo, but I do NOT want to be required to be in a rental pool. I want to be able to use it whenever i want.

I have thought of finding a few other people to go in together to buy a condo. Hopefully they would be people who just use it a week or two a year. I could Stay there the rest of the time as a "caretaker", then rent a hotel when they are in town. I doubt if i'll find any takers though.
playafava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #6 (permalink)
aņejo
Merchant
 
Michele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen, QR, MX
Posts: 6,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by playafava View Post
Yes, I have been doing the same daydreaming. In two years or less I'll be hopefully still single(requirement for any woman interested in serious relationship is willingness to go to Playa with me), and Kids will both be in college. I'll still have a couple years of relative youth left, and I won't need to work for money(just for fun and gratification).

I am thinking of just renting, but thought having a place of my own to live half the year, or maybe more would be nice. I don't mind living in the community, it would be nice to be a part of the "local" population.

I would really love to have an ocean view condo, but I do NOT want to be required to be in a rental pool. I want to be able to use it whenever i want.

I have thought of finding a few other people to go in together to buy a condo. Hopefully they would be people who just use it a week or two a year. I could Stay there the rest of the time as a "caretaker", then rent a hotel when they are in town. I doubt if i'll find any takers though.
Most of the condominium comlexes in Playa do not require you to be in any sort of rental pool. You could live there full time or not. Rent it out when you want or not. The condo-hotel concept is becoming more popular but it is still not the norm here.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #7 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
mstevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
The listing the homes for sale in Chemuyil is no longer up to date. This was the original pricing from last year before they bumped the prices. Rob was one of the developers of the project. I heard one of them just resold for $90K. Not a bad return after 12 months or so.
Bummer. Why does reality always have to rear its ugly head?
mstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #8 (permalink)
aņejo
Merchant
 
Michele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen, QR, MX
Posts: 6,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
Bummer. Why does reality always have to rear its ugly head?
Don't feel bad. That was a very unique situation. Still, there are opportunities sub $100K if you look.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #9 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
lrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 266
I have a friend who owns one of the casitas in Chemuyil and now lives there full time. She recently told me they have all been sold at the original low price.
There may be some up for re-sale by now but I'm not sure.
I'll check with her next time I talk to her and let you know what I find out.
lrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #10 (permalink)
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: gone
Posts: 10,448
There are plenty of cheaper houses for sale in Playa and surrounding areas, but beware...clear title is everything!! The local newspapers have lots of 4-sale by owners. Just saw an Ad for a casita in Tulum with its own lot for about $36,500 USD. And Ejito....which really would take its own thread to explain-is a whole nuther story. A good attorney is critical for anything here. Good luck.
user 6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #11 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodgers View Post
I have a friend who owns one of the casitas in Chemuyil and now lives there full time. She recently told me they have all been sold at the original low price.
There may be some up for re-sale by now but I'm not sure.
Rob Wilson originally offered those houses (the first 15) for $27,500. The resales, depending on the work the owner has done on the house, are now in the $90,000 to low $100, 000 range. I could kick myself in my for not investing early on. But it didn't quite look (back then) the way that it looks now............and that is an understatement!!!
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #12 (permalink)
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: gone
Posts: 10,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Rob Wilson originally offered those houses (the first 15) for $27,500. The resales, depending on the work the owner has done on the house, are now in the $90,000 to low $100, 000 range. I could kick myself in my for not investing early on. But it didn't quite look (back then) the way that it looks now............and that is an understatement!!!
I'll kick yours if you'll kick mine...
user 6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #13 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
I'll kick yours if you'll kick mine...
People would talk
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #14 (permalink)
into ruins
 
RickB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ocean Park, BC, Canada
Posts: 62
On our recent visit I saw a couple of brand new neighborhoods advertising at $65,000 USD. They were across the highway from the big resorts, north of Playa.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #15 (permalink)
reposado
 
playafava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Playa Baby!!!!!
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via Yahoo to playafava
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
On our recent visit I saw a couple of brand new neighborhoods advertising at $65,000 USD. They were across the highway from the big resorts, north of Playa.

Thanks, I will try to check that out
playafava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.