Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010   #196 (permalink)
reposado
 
diogeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: bloomington, IN and playa
Posts: 1,421
How safe is Playa?

I thought this quote from an article in "The Economist" a few weeks back was worth sharing:

"The official murder rate in Mexico remains lower than in much of Latin America. In 2009 it was 14 per 100,000 people, compared with 25 in Brazil and around 70 in parts of Central America. The violence is localised: 80% of the gang-related murders since 2006 have been committed in just 7% of Mexico’s towns, according to the government. A third of Mexico’s 31 states have murder rates hovering around five per 100,000, about the same as the United States. Yucatán, where tourists snorkel with whale sharks, sees fewer killings per person than Canada."

I'd post the link, but you have to be a subscriber to access their site. If anyone wants the entire, longer piece, PM me and I'll cut and paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
diogeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #197 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,341
Good article.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems to be open to the public:

Organised crime in Mexico: Under the volcano | The Economist
ryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #198 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post

Another good article from the Economist I posted earlier.


We were going to go to Sinaloa (Mazatlan) for xmas...we decided against it.
Rissask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #199 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,341
Yes, I saw and appreciated that one, too. Thanks, Maggie.

So how many of your fellow Canadians interested in travel here would get it right if asked whether Canada or Yucatán had a higher per capita murder rate?

(Assuming the latter article is accurate, I mean.)
ryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #200 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryberg View Post
Yes, I saw and appreciated that one, too. Thanks, Maggie.

So how do you think your fellow Canadians interested in travel to here would get it right if asked whether Canada or Yucatán had a higher per capita murder rate?

(Assuming the latter article is accurate, I mean.)

Canada or Yucatan...isn't that sort of a dumb comparison? Just like people love to point out 'Mexico is a big country', well, so is Canada.

How about Nova Scotia versus the Yucatan? Or, better yet, Alberta versus Quintana Roo? Cancun versus Edmonton? At least those are more logical comparison. DO you know those answers? Assuming that all stats on murders are compiled correctly in Mexico, of course, that they are reported and reported on?

Anyway...I don't think to most Canadians it is a big concern, since there are more of travelling to Mexico every single year. There is your answer, according to the stats- for the average Canadian tourist going to Mexico resorts, the lure of a cheap vacation to somewhere hot outweighs the issue of worries over safety.

For the regular travellers, (because I just ignore the eejits who blather on about how unsafe it is- they are people who never go to Mexico anyway ) I think the consensus is- avoid the border area, maybe fly this year instead of driving down, don't rent cars in certain states like Sinaloa and Guerrero and Nayarit, avoid seedy bars and nightclubs crowded with locals who look questionable, especially late at night, avoid convoys of dark SUVs, and if you see a group of armed military or police, turn and go the other direction. Now those are some easily done, practical things to do, IMO.

Last edited by Rissask; 12-04-2010 at 03:11 PM..
Rissask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #201 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
Canada or Yucatan...isn't that sort of a dumb comparison? Just like people love to point out 'Mexico is a big country', well, so is Canada.

How about Nova Scotia versus the Yucatan? Or, better yet, Alberta versus Quintana Roo? Cancun versus Edmonton? At least those are more logical comparison. DO you know those answers? Assuming that all stats on murders are compiled correctly in Mexico, of course, that they are reported and reported on?

Anyway...I don't think to most Canadians it is a big concern, since there are more of travelling to Mexico every singe year. There is your answer, according to the stats- for the average Canadian tourist going to Mexico resorts, the lure of a cheap vacation to somewhere hot outweighs the issue of worries over safety.

For the regular travellers, (because I just ignore the eejits who blather on about how unsafe it is- they are people who never go to Mexico anyway ) I think the consensus is- avoid the border area, maybe fly this year instead of driving down, don't rent cars in certain states like Sinaloa and Guerrero and Nayarit, avoid seedy bars and nightclubs crowded with locals who look questionable, especially late at night, avoid convoys of dark SUVs, and if you see a group of armed military or police, turn and go the other direction. Now those are some easily done, practical things to do, IMO.
That it might be viewed as a dumb comparison... well, OK. But one, I didn't make it, I just referred to it, because that's what the article did: made that comparison. And I am not, you know, the authority on this stuff with all the data to make comparisons made to order, if you see what I mean. And two, I'm not one of the I think many who start off by lumping Mexico all together into one basket and saying that it's terribly dangerous, including in a context where we talking travel to this region of Mexico, which certainly is very different from Juarez, etc. So not one of the ones that I think would accept the comparison as a basically valid one but then proceed to assume that Canada, not Yucatan, must have the lower murder rate (perhaps by far) because Mexico, you know, is so dangerous.

But yes, I'm happy if more Canadians (or Americans or whoever) are travelling to Mexico.
ryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #202 (permalink)
añejo
 
rob mackay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nova scotia, canada
Posts: 9,478
well all i can tell ya is nova scotia is more dangerous than playa,,,and for americans not up on their geography,,,,that the east coast of canada.....hell up the road, 3 kms away a guy shot a guy both barrels for stealing 6 dope plants.......I always have here with a shotgun loaded in the closet,,,,rarely do I have to actually shoot in the direction of the bad people....but sometimes..
....in playa its very safe......or i feel it is anyways
rob mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #203 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryberg View Post
That it might be viewed as a dumb comparison... well, OK. But one, I didn't make it, I just referred to it, because that's what the article did: made that comparison. And I am not, you know, the authority on this stuff with all the data to make comparisons made to order, if you see what I mean. And two, I'm not one of the I think many who start off by lumping Mexico all together into one basket and saying that it's terribly dangerous, including in a context where we talking travel to this region of Mexico, which certainly is very different from Juarez, etc. So not one of the ones that I think would accept the comparison as a basically valid one but then proceed to assume that Canada, not Yucatan, must have the lower murder rate (perhaps by far) because Mexico, you know, is so dangerous.

But yes, I'm happy if more Canadians (or Americans or whoever) are travelling to Mexico.


Yes, of course regions have to be considered on an individual basis. Overall Mexico's homicide rate is far higher than Canada's, but yes, you are right, Playa and QR has a far lower rate than other areas in both Mexico and Canada.....I would not go near Juarez these days if you paid me....I would also not go to some parts of cities in Canada...and apparently not Nova Scotia, either.
Rissask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #204 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In the woods of Nouvelle-Écosse
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
Yes, of course regions have to be considered on an individual basis. Overall Mexico's homicide rate is far higher than Canada's, but yes, you are right, Playa and QR has a far lower rate than other areas in both Mexico and Canada.....I would not go near Juarez these days if you paid me....I would also not go to some parts of cities in Canada...and apparently not Nova Scotia, either.
Two murders last night...One in Halifax and one in Cape Breton. Both young people, but not random.

The RCMP have spent several weeks digging up various lands near by for the body of a Hell's Angel. Suspect has been in custody for another murder and an "accessory after the fact" was arrested Thurs. (a neighbour )

Mexico is looking better and better....Not many days now. Just get thru Christmas, pack the suitcase.....
2roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #205 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2roots View Post
Two murders last night...One in Halifax and one in Cape Breton. Both young people, but not random.

The RCMP have spent several weeks digging up various lands near by for the body of a Hell's Angel. Suspect has been in custody for another murder and an "accessory after the fact" was arrested Thurs. (a neighbour )

Mexico is looking better and better....Not many days now. Just get thru Christmas, pack the suitcase.....


Thankfully (I guess?) random murders are VERY rare everywhere...here AND in Mexico. It's just good advice to keep your nose clean and your wits about you, wherever you go.

Have fun! We are going to the (comparatively) more dangerous (than Playa) Pacific coast for xmas now, just booked today. Am I scared., no way.
Rissask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #206 (permalink)
reposado
 
diogeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: bloomington, IN and playa
Posts: 1,421
thanks...

Good catch, Steve. I've never quite figured out the way "The Economist" monetizes their online stuff. Sometimes it appears to be accessible and other times links I send to friends I'm told "don't work" because one needs a subscription. At any rate, as is often the case, their quality of research and writing is far and above most of the crap that passes for "journalism" in the U.S. these days, a sentiment with which I suspect you would agree from having read many of your posts over the years.

Bottom line: Playa is a hell of lot safer than many of the cities from which people travel to from all over the world and those who are sucked in by the "if it bleeds, it leads" mentality of the mainstream media in the U.S. are missing out on one of the most beautiful and fun places on the planet.

Of course, that's just my opinion, as most of my opinions are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryberg View Post
Good article.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems to be open to the public:

Organised crime in Mexico: Under the volcano | The Economist
diogeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #207 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogeron View Post
Good catch, Steve. I've never quite figured out the way "The Economist" monetizes their online stuff. Sometimes it appears to be accessible and other times links I send to friends I'm told "don't work" because one needs a subscription. At any rate, as is often the case, their quality of research and writing is far and above most of the crap that passes for "journalism" in the U.S. these days, a sentiment with which I suspect you would agree from having read many of your posts over the years.

Bottom line: Playa is a hell of lot safer than many of the cities from which people travel to from all over the world and those who are sucked in by the "if it bleeds, it leads" mentality of the mainstream media in the U.S. are missing out on one of the most beautiful and fun places on the planet.

Of course, that's just my opinion, as most of my opinions are.
I do know what you mean re links like that. I get the same thing sometimes with NYT links or links from other publications.
ryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #208 (permalink)
añejo
 
Paw'boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Adventure Port
Posts: 2,662
Here is some positive journalism Viewpoints: Viva Mexico! It's full of exciting (and safe) places the news omits - Sacramento Opinion - Sacramento Editorial | Sacramento Bee
Paw'boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #209 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Joe H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Paamul,Mx
Posts: 570
Great editorial, but did you read the comments? People really don't understand unless they have been here, how sad.
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010   #210 (permalink)
reposado
 
diogeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: bloomington, IN and playa
Posts: 1,421
re: the comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
Great editorial, but did you read the comments? People really don't understand unless they have been here, how sad.
De aquerdo, amigo. However, as in many areas, if ignorance is bliss, there are a lot of people who must be in a perpetual state of ecstasy (Palin supporters come to mind....)
diogeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.