Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2017   #796 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
The reference to 'Supermanzana 21 near the Sam's Club' sounds like Cancun, not Playa. As far as I know, there is no 'Supermanzana 21' in Playa...
Just looking at my receipt from Chedraui at Plaza of the Americas - near the top about the 3rd line down it says: "Supermanzana 22" - so, if there's a supermanzana 22, and it's Plaza of the Americas, then there must be a supermanzana 21 - and if it's near Sam's, supermanzana 21 must be Centro Maya. So...
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017   #797 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
See my posts above about the relative safety of QR, Campeche and Yucatan, the three states on the Yucatan Peninsula.
Ok, and just to add to that, this link has some more Yucatan states-specific info on safety:

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=21404
Quote:
Crime Threats
While Quintana Roo, Yucatán, and Campeche states have historically not suffered the same level of escalating violence seen in other parts of Mexico, in 2016 Quintana Roo experienced an increase in violent criminal activity, specifically in non-tourist areas in/near Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Most of the violent crimes reported over the last 12 months were the result of narco-trafficking groups fighting for control of distribution and sales in the region.

Non-narco-related crime varies in type and frequency throughout the peninsula but is generally low. While there is no evidence indicating that criminals specifically target U.S. citizens, crime victims are usually chosen based on perceived wealth, vulnerability, and inattentiveness. Travelers can reduce their chances of being the victim of a crime at tourist destinations by traveling with a trusted individual and being cognizant of their alcohol consumption. Do not accept drinks from strangers and always watch your drink. Most vehicular accidents and incidents of crime affecting U.S. citizens involve the excess consumption of alcohol or individuals who have become separated from their traveling companions. For more information, please review OSAC’s Report “Shaken: The Don’ts of Alcohol Abroad.”

Should you find yourself involved in an incident, do not escalate the situation. Be cooperative; holding onto your wallet, your purse, or even your vehicle is not worth your life.

Be careful of cash transactions on the street. A hurried transaction for merchandise often leaves the customer with shoddy/counterfeit goods/currency. Many shops and vendors readily accept U.S. dollars.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017   #798 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,340
This is a bit tangential but an interesting and thought-provoking piece on the subject of security in Mexico and elsewhere, and the lack of it, even with walls and gated communities. Turns out the latter may well be making people less secure, in the end. And as the author notes, things seem to be getting downright feudal, in some ways...

The Narco Trafficker Next Door - The Daily Beast
ryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017   #799 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 74,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryberg View Post
This is a bit tangential but an interesting and thought-provoking piece on the subject of security in Mexico and elsewhere, and the lack of it, even with walls and gated communities. Turns out the latter may well be making people less secure, in the end. And as the author notes, things seem to be getting downright feudal, in some ways...

The Narco Trafficker Next Door - The Daily Beast
Interesting article

There are privadas (gated communities) in Merida, but not much violence. We (the English Library's wine committee) hosted a wine tasting at a house that is part of a three home privada. No guards, the residents all have garage door openers that open the gate. Our homeowner is a retired State Department employee who specialized in the Caribbean and Latin America.

Lot of interesting stories.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017   #800 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
Just looking at my receipt from Chedraui at Plaza of the Americas - near the top about the 3rd line down it says: "Supermanzana 22" - so, if there's a supermanzana 22, and it's Plaza of the Americas, then there must be a supermanzana 21 - and if it's near Sam's, supermanzana 21 must be Centro Maya. So...
I live in SMZ 56, which is Res. Santa Fe (not sure part or all). Playa is divided into Supermanzanas and manzanas but most people have no idea unless it is part of their address, which in many cases it isn't.

What works best in Playa, from my experience, is an involved community. We have a great neighborhood watch program that includes a WhatsApp group. Sometimes that one turns a little to "chismosa" but it does work as my neighborhood does not experience much crime. In some neighborhoods, lynch mobs seem to work better. Depends on the neighbors, I suppose.

Last edited by PlayadelSolDos; 04-29-2017 at 12:28 PM..
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017   #801 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
What works best in Playa, from my experience, is an involved community. We have a great neighborhood watch program that includes a WhatsApp group...
That's one of the points brought up in the article: that gated "communities" in fact often have less of a sense of community because, among other things, there are guards to watch everything so the residents don't need to.
ryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017   #802 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,228
Cabo area sure has been having far more issues lately as well...

Shootout leaves eight dead near Mexico's Los Cabos tourist hub

Borderland Beat: Los Cabos: 3 dismembered bodies discovered, as narco war continues in region

Six killed around Mexico resort of Los Cabos | Daily Mail Online
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #803 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,533
Big power struggle for control. This will get way worse before it ever gets better.
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017   #804 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve balt View Post
Big power struggle for control. This will get way worse before it ever gets better.
You talking about Baltimore again, no doubt .
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017   #805 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,533
Great Speech from a child

Borderland Beat: Corruption is the theme of a fiery speech by a 12 year old boy
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017   #806 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve balt View Post
You had better not read this about corruption in Baltimore
I grew up there. Sure has changed.
Guess we won't be seeing you in Mexico anymore. Too dangerous and corrupt, unlike the U.S.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...4ca_story.html
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017   #807 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,228
I saw that little boy's speech the other day. Wonderful.


Al, why would bringing up a different place that might also be crime ridden and corrupt be logical? Does it make the first place magically less dangerous or have a lower homicide rate?

I can never understand people that post things like that.

You see it all the time on forums like this and Trip Advisor...someone posts a story about crime rates or the cartel violence in Mexico, out of legitimate concern about an upcoming trip, usually- and someone else gets huffy and posts 'Well stay home then!' or 'It's perfectly safe, the sky isn't falling!' ....at least those are a bit understandable, it's emotional reaction....but 'Chicago has MORE shootings!' just doesn't make sense to me....
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017   #808 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,340
Well it makes sense to me due to the seemingly prevalent tendency of people to get very worried about what may be happening in scary Mexico but to overlook or write off what may simultaneously be happening along similar lines where they live, or in other places they tend to think are fine, or which anyway don't register as so dangerous as to avoid going to, at least. In other words, doing so helps to point out the illogical and probably unrecognized double standard in people's thinking.

Now, I don't think it helps to do so in an overly defensive manner, mind you. (Not saying Al's post, or Roni's previous mention of Baltimore, constitutes that.) Being overly defensive is just as bad as being overly worried. But just pointing it out seems to serve a good purpose.
ryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017   #809 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 74,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryberg View Post
Well it makes sense to me due to the seemingly prevalent tendency of people to get very worried about what may be happening in scary Mexico but to overlook or write off what may simultaneously be happening along similar lines where they live, or in other places they tend to think are fine, or which anyway don't register as so dangerous as to avoid going to, at least. In other words, doing so helps to point out the illogical and probably unrecognized double standard in people's thinking.

Now, I don't think it helps to do so in an overly defensive manner, mind you. (Not saying Al's post, or Roni's previous mention of Baltimore, constitutes that.) Being overly defensive is just as bad as being overly worried. But just pointing it out seems to serve a good purpose.
I do not think that was me.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017   #810 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,340
Sorry, yes, both comments were Al's.
ryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.