Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010   #16 (permalink)
aņejo
 
rob mackay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nova scotia, canada
Posts: 9,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leia View Post
My own experience four years ago with Hospiten (Cancun) was excellent. I broke my leg and was transported there by the doctor and staff at the Grand Mayan. It was decided by the hotel doctor that Hospiten would be the best place to take me because I had travel medical insurance -through the British Columbia Auto Association (Travel Gold). The total bill was around $13,000.00 for a four day stay and surgery to repair the broken bones and I did not pay a penny. Hospiten billed my insurance company directly. I found the level of care to be superb, from the emergency ward to the staff on the floor I was on and the doctor was wonderful - the head of Orthopedics at the university I believe. I highly recommend the Hospiten chain of hospitals.

Travel Medical Insurance is over and above our government medical insurance in Canada. I carry an annual policy for around $100 that covers me for each and every trip out of the country for up to 30 days at a time. Peace of mind is worth a whole lot more!
yes i think that sounds alot like my policy,,,is your rbc, i highly recommend them for canadians
rob mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #17 (permalink)
aņejo
 
mofi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Now: Calgary, AB Before: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob mackay View Post
yes i think that sounds alot like my policy,,,is your rbc, i highly recommend them for canadians
BCAA is the same as AAA essentially, so not the same as RBC as far as I know. I'll ask, a family member is a vp there and should be able to tell me.
mofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #18 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Leia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lower Mainland, BC, Canada
Posts: 935
The auto club option is very much like the one through RBC as is the one offered by Pacific Blue Cross. Lots of choices up here and it seems for the most part they all offer similar good coverage.
Leia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #19 (permalink)
aņejo
 
rob mackay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nova scotia, canada
Posts: 9,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofi View Post
BCAA is the same as AAA essentially, so not the same as RBC as far as I know. I'll ask, a family member is a vp there and should be able to tell me.

yes for sure, i like it cause its cheap and you dont pay upfront, i think mine is around 100 for up to 30 days then a top up for the other 2 months around 3 perday extra
rob mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #20 (permalink)
aņejo
 
actran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,510
In July 2008 my husband was sent to Hospiten Cancun when he had a heart attack while we were on vacation. I am a nurse and I felt like he got very good care. His cardiologist was excellent and if he was in the states he would have continued to see him for care. His cardiologist back home commented that they used a state of the art stent. But things are different than in the US and you do have to pay upfront.
actran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #21 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Caribbean5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbender View Post
There are two with that sort of name: AmeriMed hospital, and American Hospital.

As a general note, because it says American it does not necessarily mean the USA or that the owners are from the USA. America often refers to the continent. Mexicans are Americans too, as the British are Europeans.

Even if a place is owned by people from the USA, it doesn't guarantee you the level of service you imagine - search out recommendations instead. Mexico has many fine private medical facilities, in fact many cross the border to take advantage of this, coupled with the lower fees.
Thanks Mindbender. I am full aware Mexico, Canada etc are americans as most don't know it. But I was given these two names for a quality hospital in Cancun. I was wondering if they were quality and made no assumption they had a connection to the USA.

But from what I am reading from others, Hospiten is a good place to go for an emergency while in PDC. Our second week will be in Purto Morales. I was wondering where a person would go from there, Cancun or PDC for emergecy medical treatment and if Cancun where?

Thanks
Bob
Caribbean5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #22 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Caribbean5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by actran View Post
In July 2008 my husband was sent to Hospiten Cancun when he had a heart attack while we were on vacation. I am a nurse and I felt like he got very good care. His cardiologist was excellent and if he was in the states he would have continued to see him for care. His cardiologist back home commented that they used a state of the art stent. But things are different than in the US and you do have to pay upfront.
Is Hospiten Cancun different then the one in PDC?
Caribbean5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #23 (permalink)
aņejo
 
actran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,510
Hospiten in Cancun is owned by the same corporation. If in Puerto Morelos I would think you would go to Cancun. I also remember reading somewhere Hospiten in PDC doesn't have an ICU.
We were t old by several locals that Hospiten was the best place to go.
actran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #24 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Caribbean5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by actran View Post
Hospiten in Cancun is owned by the same corporation. If in Puerto Morelos I would think you would go to Cancun. I also remember reading somewhere Hospiten in PDC doesn't have an ICU.
We were t old by several locals that Hospiten was the best place to go.
Great, thanks for the info. I am convinced to go to Hospiten in an emergency (God forbid). But at least should something happen, I will feel better knowing we did the best we could to get the best medical.

Thansk again,
Bob
Caribbean5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #25 (permalink)
life=playa
 
liloleme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbean5 View Post
Thanks Mindbender. I am full aware Mexico, Canada etc are americans as most don't know it. But I was given these two names for a quality hospital in Cancun. I was wondering if they were quality and made no assumption they had a connection to the USA.

But from what I am reading from others, Hospiten is a good place to go for an emergency while in PDC. Our second week will be in Purto Morales. I was wondering where a person would go from there, Cancun or PDC for emergecy medical treatment and if Cancun where?

Thanks
Bob
Bob, the Hospiten in Cancun is much larger than the one in PDC, and has more specialists. For serious illnesses and/or accidents the patient usually gets transferred to the Cancun hospital because it's more equipped to deal with serious issues.

If you're in PM, I would automatically just go to the Cancun Hospiten if you need medical attention. Just go to Hospiten's website for all the information you need.
liloleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #26 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,041
insurance

There seems to be much confusion and or misinformation in regard to

Hospiten dealing with direct billing with insurance companies. I have been

doing extensive research on this topic and the best I can find is that

Hospiten will NOT to any direct billling for any foreign insurance company.

Yet I read in several posts that they did infact do a direct billing. I read

where actran had to first pay a deposit of $2000 and then $20,000 to

cover the bill. She had both private and travel insurance and to wait to

get reimbursed. This is a very serious question right now. Many people will

get a surprise of their lives if they have to pay upfront especially if they

were counting on hosptien do a direct billing. I contacted a company

recently that said they worked with Hospitals in Mexico however Hospiten

was not one of them. We really need to try and find out whats the deal

with hospiten.
maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #27 (permalink)
aņejo
 
rob mackay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nova scotia, canada
Posts: 9,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya View Post
There seems to be much confusion and or misinformation in regard to

Hospiten dealing with direct billing with insurance companies. I have been

doing extensive research on this topic and the best I can find is that

Hospiten will NOT to any direct billling for any foreign insurance company.

Yet I read in several posts that they did infact do a direct billing. I read

where actran had to first pay a deposit of $2000 and then $20,000 to

cover the bill. She had both private and travel insurance and to wait to

get reimbursed. This is a very serious question right now. Many people will

get a surprise of their lives if they have to pay upfront especially if they

were counting on hosptien do a direct billing. I contacted a company

recently that said they worked with Hospitals in Mexico however Hospiten

was not one of them. We really need to try and find out whats the deal

with hospiten.

i think it is more of an issue which insurance company you are dealing with, and what country your from, mostly canadians that i know who have the rbc policy have been treated without having to pay up front, i would say its best to ask some of the insurance companies in your country and see what they say since all are different
rob mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #28 (permalink)
life=playa
 
liloleme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya View Post
There seems to be much confusion and or misinformation in regard to

Hospiten dealing with direct billing with insurance companies. I have been

doing extensive research on this topic and the best I can find is that

Hospiten will NOT to any direct billling for any foreign insurance company.

Yet I read in several posts that they did infact do a direct billing. I read

where actran had to first pay a deposit of $2000 and then $20,000 to

cover the bill. She had both private and travel insurance and to wait to

get reimbursed. This is a very serious question right now. Many people will

get a surprise of their lives if they have to pay upfront especially if they

were counting on hosptien do a direct billing. I contacted a company

recently that said they worked with Hospitals in Mexico however Hospiten

was not one of them. We really need to try and find out whats the deal

with hospiten.
Yes Maya I agree there is some confusion.

From personal experience, and from two sets of neighbors personal experience, they DO DEAL DIRECTLY WITH INSURANCE COMPANIES. Before I went there for treatment I called them and Pedro (works the front desk and deals with billing issues for clients) told me it was their policy to try to work with insurance companies. My neighbor's daughter broke her leg and they billed their insurance company directly and my other neighbor had an allergic reaction and Hospiten dealt directly with the insurance company.

So now I can assure everyone that it is their policy to TRY to work with the insurance company so the patient pays nothing out of pocket.

The issue really lies with the insurance company. Many of the lesser known travel insurance companies, or insurance companies that are not travel-specific (and by that I mean a health insurance policy from work or pension that gives benefits to the member while traveling) will NOT participate in direct billing because they are not equipped to do so. Larger, more reputable insurance companies are not only equipped to offer this service, but many of them use this feature as a marketing tool to attract customers.

So if you are at Hospiten and are having to pay out of pocket it is probably because Hospiten cannot get authorization to defer billing from the insurance company.

That's why it's important when you're purchasing a travel insurance package to ask whether the insurance company offers this service.
liloleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #29 (permalink)
aņejo
 
actran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,510
During our experience the admissions guy in the ER said they used to work with my insurance company (Kaiser -a big HMO) but they no longer did. The "Public Relations" lady who they had me talk to once it was determined he needed a heart cath and most likely a stent, she very firmly told me they would not work with my insurance company.
actran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #30 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,041
insurance and hosptien

Quote:
Originally Posted by actran View Post
During our experience the admissions guy in the ER said they used to work with my insurance company (Kaiser -a big HMO) but they no longer did. The "Public Relations" lady who they had me talk to once it was determined he needed a heart cath and most likely a stent, she very firmly told me they would not work with my insurance company.

so the confusion does continue. It would make sense to check with both the insurance you are using and hospiten-most things people dont think about when going on vacation. I am in the states but live in PLaya. I will go to hosptien on my return May 9th and see about getting some kind of clarification on this and will post here. Unless there is someone in Playa reading this that possibly help out here. Thank goodness actran had a credit card to cover her husbands care-eh we dont have any credit cards or that kind of money pay up front.

Anyone out there that live in Playa have any experience with IMSS. A last resort but if an emergency arrises-I have been told the care is good.
maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.