Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010   #46 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Tracielynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 417
So glad you're feeling better Bump....yes the place is full of infections and 'bugs'. Stay more than 4 days and you're pooping through the eye of a needle!!
Tracielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #47 (permalink)
way into it
 
janlandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Innisfil Ont, Canada/ & PDC
Posts: 188
Hospiten

Two years ago we found out just how good their service was! They saved our son's life, after he fell through a sliding glass door and almost amputated his arm. Let me tell you you can count on the hospiten in Playa and Cancun, Canadian doctors were amazed at the quality of the work done in Mexico!!! I can recommend them highly!!!!!
janlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017   #48 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fijidawg View Post
Our feeling was that there is a dual pricing structure for Mexicans and anyone perceived to be a tourist.
Totally my experience. At the Hospiten at Riviera Maya I was charged $1,668 for 4 stitches. That was a total rip-off. But they had me over a barrel, what could I do? When I had the stitches removed in the USA, they said it would have cost me about $500 for 4 stitches.

The hospiten was clean, professional and in every other way fine but the price was a rip-off. What a way to treat tourists in a vacation place. This was the 4th year in a row I have vacationed in Mexico and after this experience, the last.
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017   #49 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 200
My wife spent the night at AmeriMed in Cancun a few years ago. They did not accept our insurance, but the care and facility was very good. On a side note, she was taken there from our hotel by Ambulance. As she was being admitted the driver pulled out his credit card reader and told me the bill was $500.00usd. I paid it, but 2 months later I got a call from a company in the states that told me I owed another $2K for the ambulance. They claimed the $500 was just a "deposit". They called me a few more times but gave up after I requested their contact info for my attorney. Quite the scam...
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017   #50 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
My wife spent the night at AmeriMed in Cancun a few years ago. They did not accept our insurance, but the care and facility was very good. On a side note, she was taken there from our hotel by Ambulance. As she was being admitted the driver pulled out his credit card reader and told me the bill was $500.00usd. I paid it, but 2 months later I got a call from a company in the states that told me I owed another $2K for the ambulance. They claimed the $500 was just a "deposit". They called me a few more times but gave up after I requested their contact info for my attorney. Quite the scam...
In non-emergencies, I would always recommend taking a taxi to a hospital or clinic.
In an emergency, I guess that an ambulance would be necessary.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017   #51 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 200
Trust me...we had no choice. Major food poisoning. I'll spare you all the gory details. I tell everyone our favorite excursion that trip was the midnight ambulance ride through Cancun!
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017   #52 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
Trust me...we had no choice. Major food poisoning. I'll spare you all the gory details. I tell everyone our favorite excursion that trip was the midnight ambulance ride through Cancun!
Yes, as I have inferred, sometimes, as in your wife's case, an ambulance is necessary (a necessary evil here maybe). Not sure how well trained ambulance crews are here.
I am not sure the local Red Cross here could have helped your wife. http://cruzrojamexicana.org.mx/servicios

This might be some help to others:Emergency Contacts For Travelers In Riviera Maya
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017   #53 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 200
Thanks Al. Good info that I hope no one ever needs to use!
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017   #54 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbert View Post
Totally my experience. At the Hospiten at Riviera Maya I was charged $1,668 for 4 stitches. That was a total rip-off. But they had me over a barrel, what could I do? When I had the stitches removed in the USA, they said it would have cost me about $500 for 4 stitches.

The hospiten was clean, professional and in every other way fine but the price was a rip-off. What a way to treat tourists in a vacation place. This was the 4th year in a row I have vacationed in Mexico and after this experience, the last.
Lacerations are billed by the inch (or by the cm in Mexico), not by the number of stitches - but you're right about the price, it's way out of whack. The reason is because only the surgeons are called to do the suturing, even if the job could be done any ER doc or competent medical student (as is often the case), and the surgeons charge an arm and a leg, so to speak.

Otherwise, Hospiten's charges are not only fair but much cheaper than in the US. I've complained about the price of sutures for years, to the point that I was made distinctly persona non grata there for about 5 years - the hospital manager assigned a guard to follow me around every time I went in - but I charged in anyway, brushed by the guards, and did my job - (duty calls, etc.). Oddly, that all changed in January when I had my own surgery done there (excellent work by Dr. Rico) and they are now amazingly friendly (different administration/management).

I recommended them back then - even when I was persona non grata - because I elbowed my way in and looked over enough shoulders to know who was good and whether the job would be done right. I still recommend them - at the moment there is no other Hospital that even comes close to the care at Hospiten - everybody else is an also-ran. We're very fortunate to have them.

There is a dual pricing structure - residents get a 20-30% discount. An unofficial definition for a 'resident' is somebody who stays for a month (the rules are lax) - show your CFE or water bill at the desk (they want confirmation of your address, i.e., that you 'live' here, no matter how long, not your name - the CFE and water bills will be in your landlord's name) - it's the standard way it's done here, nothing at all shady about it. Suerte

Last edited by beam-eye; 06-10-2017 at 05:09 PM..
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017   #55 (permalink)
way into it
 
bajathecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: South of Playa
Posts: 210
Hospiten Prices

On May 18, 2008, my husband was shot (yes, shot with a 9mm) during a home invasion while we were living in Yalku Ha (10 minutes north of Akumal). After much ado, ambulance took us to Hospiten Playa. To make a very long and painful (literally and figuratively) story short, I cannot give Hospiten et al enough credit. Bullet passed through his arm, entered his side and after bouncing around, tearing through his intestines, rested on his tailbone His life was saved, he endured three surgeries to repair all of the damage and spent 7 days in ICU after being transferred to Hospiten Cancun. One of the surgeries was to install new hardware in his arm - synthetic bone and 8-inch titanium plate. Now to my point - at the end of all of this the cost was $80,000 (yes, we have health insurance). What would the cost have been in the US? Hospiten is not expensive. And AbsoluteAll is a fantastic physical therapist
bajathecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017   #56 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajathecat View Post
On May 18, 2008, my husband was shot (yes, shot with a 9mm) during a home invasion while we were living in Yalku Ha (10 minutes north of Akumal). After much ado, ambulance took us to Hospiten Playa. To make a very long and painful (literally and figuratively) story short, I cannot give Hospiten et al enough credit. Bullet passed through his arm, entered his side and after bouncing around, tearing through his intestines, rested on his tailbone His life was saved, he endured three surgeries to repair all of the damage and spent 7 days in ICU after being transferred to Hospiten Cancun. One of the surgeries was to install new hardware in his arm - synthetic bone and 8-inch titanium plate. Now to my point - at the end of all of this the cost was $80,000 (yes, we have health insurance). What would the cost have been in the US? Hospiten is not expensive. And AbsoluteAll is a fantastic physical therapist
Glad everything worked out, Do you still live there ?
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017   #57 (permalink)
way into it
 
bajathecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: South of Playa
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve balt View Post
Glad everything worked out, Do you still live there ?
No longer own in the house in Yalku Ha but still live in Akumal. 15 years in to this journey
bajathecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017   #58 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajathecat View Post
On May 18, 2008, my husband was shot (yes, shot with a 9mm) during a home invasion while we were living in Yalku Ha (10 minutes north of Akumal). After much ado, ambulance took us to Hospiten Playa. To make a very long and painful (literally and figuratively) story short, I cannot give Hospiten et al enough credit. Bullet passed through his arm, entered his side and after bouncing around, tearing through his intestines, rested on his tailbone His life was saved, he endured three surgeries to repair all of the damage and spent 7 days in ICU after being transferred to Hospiten Cancun. One of the surgeries was to install new hardware in his arm - synthetic bone and 8-inch titanium plate. Now to my point - at the end of all of this the cost was $80,000 (yes, we have health insurance). What would the cost have been in the US? Hospiten is not expensive. And AbsoluteAl is a fantastic physical therapist

Long retired. I came out of retirement for Russ. And was lucky enough to meet you and Russ.
Heard that his golf game is as lousy as it always was!
Either you all have to get to Playa more often or I need to get to Akumal more often
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017   #59 (permalink)
way into it
 
bajathecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: South of Playa
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post

Long retired. I came out of retirement for Russ. And was lucky enough to meet you and Russ.
Heard that his golf game is as lousy as it always was!
Either you all have to get to Playa more often or I need to get to Akumal more often
Come to Akumal!!
bajathecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017   #60 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajathecat View Post
Come to Akumal!!
More to do in Playa
And better places to eat here.......that is, not unless you are cooking
I remember that you are a great cook. I am surprised that Russ isn't fatter
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.