Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014   #136 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
"Proving" is a stretch.
apples "can be" harmful to ones health...
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #137 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
"Proving" is a stretch.

a really really big one, yup

Then again, take a look at the website's Facebook page....

https://www.facebook.com/CollectiveEvolutionPage


Not exactly a glowing example of a 'reputable source'.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #138 (permalink)
añejo
 
melliedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 30,723
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I thought this story was interesting.

Largest Grocery Chain in US Being Sued for Misleading Customers on 'Natural' Chicken Claims | Live Free, Live Natural
melliedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #139 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 76,736
Food Babe Eating Guides
roni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #140 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: PDC
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
"Proving" is a stretch.
actually I read the whole article and followed up on the reports, there looks to be a lot of proof. Please give reasons why you think it is a stretch. Maybe something I missed.
P.S. I grow GMOs so I need to be aware of possible winds of change. I believe in being educated and keep my personal feelings in the background. That has saved me many dollars over the years.
brenc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #141 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
From the Food Babe home page:

Quote:
'Do you want to make eating an organic & non-GMO diet easier and almost mindless?'
More right than she knows, apparently...

Last edited by beam-eye; 04-12-2014 at 09:40 PM..
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #142 (permalink)
añejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 22,385
In a quest to eat healthy, and be socially kind to animals - I aim to break my dairy addiction. I tried Ripple Milk. (yes Ripple - has nothing to do with Ripple Wine)

https://www.ripplefoods.com/

It is the most VILE drink I have ever tasted. I cant do Soy and I don't like Almond/Nut Milks.

I guess I will stick to Fairlife Milk for now. Any one have any luck with Dairy Alternatives ?
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #143 (permalink)
añejo
 
melliedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 30,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAPPY View Post
In a quest to eat healthy, and be socially kind to animals - I aim to break my dairy addiction. I tried Ripple Milk. (yes Ripple - has nothing to do with Ripple Wine)

https://www.ripplefoods.com/

It is the most VILE drink I have ever tasted. I cant do Soy and I don't like Almond/Nut Milks.

I guess I will stick to Fairlife Milk for now. Any one have any luck with Dairy Alternatives ?
I don't drink milk, but I do like something milk-like in smoothies. Have you tried a nut milk blend? I like the almond/coconut milk blend.

As far as cheese goes, I don't think there are any non-dairy options that are any good. Most vegan options are cheese like substances filled with chemicals. You're better off with small amounts of high quality and full fat cheeses.

If you like coconuts, I think they are the best creamy non-dairy stand in. A can a full fat coconut milk can be whipped just like whipped cream. If you have a high speed blender, you can turn a bag of shredded coconut into coconut butter. Coconut milk can stand in for dairy in a number of cream soups and curries, and can even be made into pretty decent ice cream, but you do have to like the taste of coconut.
melliedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #144 (permalink)
añejo
 
Debbiec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwestern New Jersey - in the boonies
Posts: 3,376
I just made myself an awesome late breakfast at home here in Florida...

Avocado toast (because here you walk in n to the store and there is a mountain of RIPE avocados) made with tomato, lime juice, salt pepper on fresh sourdough bread lightly toasted; a fantastic sliced peach from I have no idea where they get fresh peaches from here at this time of year; and a side of 3 Bob Evans sausage links.

😂😂😂. Now Mel’s head EXPLODES
Debbiec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #145 (permalink)
añejo
 
MikeW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moorpark, CA
Posts: 14,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiec View Post
I just made myself an awesome late breakfast at home here in Florida...

Avocado toast (because here you walk in n to the store and there is a mountain of RIPE avocados) made with tomato, lime juice, salt pepper on fresh sourdough bread lightly toasted; a fantastic sliced peach from I have no idea where they get fresh peaches from here at this time of year; and a side of 3 Bob Evans sausage links.

😂😂😂. Now Mel’s head EXPLODES
The sausages put it and this thread over the top.
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #146 (permalink)
añejo
 
melliedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 30,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiec View Post
I just made myself an awesome late breakfast at home here in Florida...

Avocado toast (because here you walk in n to the store and there is a mountain of RIPE avocados) made with tomato, lime juice, salt pepper on fresh sourdough bread lightly toasted; a fantastic sliced peach from I have no idea where they get fresh peaches from here at this time of year; and a side of 3 Bob Evans sausage links.

😂😂😂. Now Mel’s head EXPLODES
I feel like pushing small children out of the way when avocados are involved.

That's mostly what I do at Costco with free samples.
melliedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #147 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenc101 View Post
actually I read the whole article and followed up on the reports, there looks to be a lot of proof. Please give reasons why you think it is a stretch. Maybe something I missed.
P.S. I grow GMOs so I need to be aware of possible winds of change. I believe in being educated and keep my personal feelings in the background. That has saved me many dollars over the years.
For example - the first paper linked claims to have found gmo pesticide related proteins in over 90% of pregnant women in quebec.

Given the denaturing rate, this would mean 90% of pregnant women in quebec eat GMO corn EVERY DAY.

Assuming these corn-fed mothers last ate 6 hours before being tested, the levels in the study would mean they've eaten 15 ears of corn.

So, like, internet crank bullshit.

If you want an explanation of how the idiots came up with it, see:

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.reprotox.2012.01.012
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #148 (permalink)
añejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 22,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by melliedee View Post
I don't drink milk, but I do like something milk-like in smoothies. Have you tried a nut milk blend? I like the almond/coconut milk blend.

As far as cheese goes, I don't think there are any non-dairy options that are any good. Most vegan options are cheese like substances filled with chemicals. You're better off with small amounts of high quality and full fat cheeses.

If you like coconuts, I think they are the best creamy non-dairy stand in. A can a full fat coconut milk can be whipped just like whipped cream. If you have a high speed blender, you can turn a bag of shredded coconut into coconut butter. Coconut milk can stand in for dairy in a number of cream soups and curries, and can even be made into pretty decent ice cream, but you do have to like the taste of coconut.
I am cheese addicted....

Milk is another issue, I have not tried the coconut version...but plain almond milk sort of tastes like spoiled milk to me.
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #149 (permalink)
añejo
 
horizon200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Delaware
Posts: 15,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
The sausages put it and this thread over the top.
My wife makes a great three been vegan casserole to which she offsets the three beans with bacon, pork loin and sausage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliedee View Post


I feel like pushing small children out of the way when avocados are involved.

That's mostly what I do at Costco with free samples.
Be careful! If you get avocado in your eye, you could end up with guacoma!
horizon200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.