Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > Changarros y más...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011   #61 (permalink)
añejo
 
snappysammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
I think that Don Sirloin was (a year or so ago) was located at the corner of AV. 10 and calle 26. They did not survive long at that location. Never tried it so I can not give an opinion as to their quality/taste.

since baba did not believe my friends, i went to check it out
great place
whatever the other review said and more
full bar
great tacos: arrachera, sirloin, chicken, pastor
quality, top notch, superior
taste: to die for, the arrachera was great, the sirloin too
the staff is friendly, the place is clean

i challenge anyone to go there and find fault
convince me, i'll pay your tab

it would probably be better to speak spanish, this place is in mexico
they don't give a fig about la quinta avenida, and i would be surprised if anyone speaks english
and if they do, they probably don't while they are there

the people coming in while i was there looked like hotel and resort workers coming in to have a taco and relax and hang out
a really nice place with good food, a bar and nice ambiance

i will be going back there, for sure

30th av almost to 34 th st

Last edited by snappysammy; 01-17-2011 at 02:10 AM..
snappysammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #62 (permalink)
back again, again
 
kirbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappysammy View Post
since baba did not believe my friends, i went to check it out
great place
whatever the other review said and more
full bar
great tacos: arrachera, sirloin, chicken, pastor
quality, top notch, superior
taste: to die for, the arrachera was great, the sirloin too
the staff is friendly, the place is clean

i challenge anyone to go there and find fault
convince me, i'll pay your tab

it would probably be better to speak spanish, this place is in mexico
they don't give a fig about la quinta avenida, and i would be surprised if anyone speaks english
and if they do, they probably don't while they are there

the people coming in while i was there looked like hotel and resort workers coming in to have a taco and relax and hang out
a really nice place with good food, a bar and nice ambiance

i will be going back there, for sure

30th av almost to 34 th st
Sounds like quite a walk, at least from the Mimi Del Mar.
kirbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #63 (permalink)
Sue
añejo
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 18,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyfan View Post
Sounds like quite a walk, at least from the Mimi Del Mar.
It is a bit of a walk, but walking around Playa and taking in your surroundings is one of my favorite things to do here. And it really isn't THAT far.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #64 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappysammy View Post
since baba did not believe my friends, i went to check it out
??
I said that?
I think not.

I only questioned your lousy quoting.

Last edited by Babaloo; 01-18-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #65 (permalink)
añejo
 
snappysammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
It is a bit of a walk, but walking around Playa and taking in your surroundings is one of my favorite things to do here. And it really isn't THAT far.
my longtime friend, jorge, has the best watch repair shop in playa between 26 and 28 on 30th st
there are a lot of really cool shops in the area
florists, shoe repair, bicycle shops, you name it
a walk up constituyentes and north on 30 could be a nice little excursion
start at noon and end at don sirloin for lunch and a cold one, or seven, back in the garden at don sirloin, almost at 34th
take a cab back or walk down 34 to a great part of the beach
by then you might want to take a right on fifth and a left on 26th and have a couple of chopes with chris and carrie at pg's

that would be a nice afternoon, and a change of pace for most people
you would get to see mexico, and end up back in the tourist comfort zone
guaranteed you will see things you won't see inside tenth ave
snappysammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #66 (permalink)
añejo
 
snappysammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
??
I said that?
I think not.

I only questioned your lousy quoting.

i getting worried that you're a stalker
snappysammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #67 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
AnnieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappysammy View Post
my longtime friend, jorge, has the best watch repair shop in playa between 26 and 28 on 30th st
there are a lot of really cool shops in the area
florists, shoe repair, bicycle shops, you name it
a walk up constituyentes and north on 30 could be a nice little excursion
start at noon and end at don sirloin for lunch and a cold one, or seven, back in the garden at don sirloin, almost at 34th
take a cab back or walk down 34 to a great part of the beach
by then you might want to take a right on fifth and a left on 26th and have a couple of chopes with chris and carrie at pg's

that would be a nice afternoon, and a change of pace for most people
you would get to see mexico, and end up back in the tourist comfort zone
guaranteed you will see things you won't see inside tenth ave
We loved doing this, even when it was hot, hot, hot last June. This was how we "discovered" Flor de Luna on 30th. And we even ran into SnappySammy himself one day at PG's
AnnieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #68 (permalink)
añejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,150
La Parilla de Manolo

I had possibly the worst meal I've ever had in Playa at Manolo's last night, Ice cold baket potatoes, steak the texture of shoe leather. Not the same place as it was when on 10th.
CalifGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #69 (permalink)
añejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,150
Opa! - I don't think this place exists, at least not on 24th and 5th.
CalifGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #70 (permalink)
añejo
 
snappysammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGuy View Post
La Parilla de Manolo

I had possibly the worst meal I've ever had in Playa at Manolo's last night, Ice cold baket potatoes, steak the texture of shoe leather. Not the same place as it was when on 10th.
sorry to hear this
manolo's is one of my fave places, never had a bad meal there
and the beef there has been some of the best in playa, in my experience
i ate there last week, the goulash was really very good, the beef super tender, i think they used arrachera


Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGuy View Post
Opa! - I don't think this place exists, at least not on 24th and 5th.
opa is not there anymore
now a mexican restaurant in that spot
snappysammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #71 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Allen&Jessica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: north of Playa
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGuy View Post
La Parilla de Manolo

I had possibly the worst meal I've ever had in Playa at Manolo's last night, Ice cold baket potatoes, steak the texture of shoe leather. Not the same place as it was when on 10th.
We've had dinner there three times.

The first two were outstanding.

The third, a few weeks ago, was so-so. My dinner was good (kebabs), but my husband's steak was extremely undercooked, even after sending it back. Even looking past the rareness, it just was not a good cut of meat.

We'll probably go back again someday, but it will be a while.
Allen&Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #72 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Dpreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 324
I am open to contributions

I love the idea of being subsidized for making continued and frequent visits to all of the fine and not-so-fine eating establishments in Playa. I could promise you a monthly update if that could be arranged.

Until then, the best I can do to make substantive updates is 2 or 3 times a year. But remember that I do need your feedback so I know which places merit a visit or two. Keep up the good work.

And as a side note, I see that several people notice that my list might be weighted towards the North End, and that is a fact. Oen reason is that my condo is in the North End. But I do make regular sojourns to the south and try to keep current, but I have found that the South End has many of the older original restaurants, and many are really for tourists and the day trippers from Cozumel, and I would not want to go there. But there are many good places there, and I do try to include them.
Dpreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #73 (permalink)
añejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen&Jessica View Post
We've had dinner there three times.

The first two were outstanding.

The third, a few weeks ago, was so-so. My dinner was good (kebabs), but my husband's steak was extremely undercooked, even after sending it back. Even looking past the rareness, it just was not a good cut of meat.

We'll probably go back again someday, but it will be a while.
Maybe I was a little harsh, I've had many great steaks there in the past, especially when they were a smaller operation on Av 10. But when I mentioned to our waiter that the baked potatoes were ice cold he merely laughed a little and shrugged his shoulders. I ordered their special which was probably a mistake as it was not a top cut, but still there was no need for it to be so overcooked I had saw at it with my steak knife. I'll probably give them another try one of these days, but I think I'll try some of the many other steak houses first.
CalifGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #74 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGuy View Post
Maybe I was a little harsh, I've had many great steaks there in the past, especially when they were a smaller operation on Av 10. But when I mentioned to our waiter that the baked potatoes were ice cold he merely laughed a little and shrugged his shoulders. I ordered their special which was probably a mistake as it was not a top cut, but still there was no need for it to be so overcooked I had saw at it with my steak knife. I'll probably give them another try one of these days, but I think I'll try some of the many other steak houses first.
Forget Manolo's - try el DIEZ on the corner of AV. 5 and calle 30. There is a reason that they are busy every night. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out.
Best "Ruth Chris/Morton's type steaks are at Wicky's but they ain't cheap. Three of us had dinner there last week and without any alcohol bill was 1600+ pesos. It was by far the best meal that I have had in Playa for awhile.

Last edited by absoluteAL; 01-28-2011 at 11:34 PM..
absoluteAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011   #75 (permalink)
añejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Forget Manolo's - try el DIEZ on the corner of AV. 5 and calle 30. There is a reason that they are busy every night. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out.
Best "Ruth Chris/Morton's type steaks are at Wicky's but they ain't cheap. Three of us had dinner there last week and without any alcohol bill was 1600+ pesos. It was by far the best meal that I have had in Playa for awhile.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give El Diez a try.

$1,600 for three!!!!Did that include dancing girls?
CalifGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.