Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011   #16 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Bryzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 917
Mysterious story....I will with hold any comments on it for now also.......
Except if it is all true most of us that go often to Playa and love it...will want it not to be as that is just quit unnerving
Bryzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #17 (permalink)
Sue
aņejo
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 18,160
If you click on the page numbers at the bottom of the story, you can see photos of her in the hospital after her night in jail.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #18 (permalink)
aņejo
 
snappysammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,063
if the guy had not been belligerent none of this would have happened
drunk on nye?? not a problem
fight with the polis?? problem

this is mexico, not canada, the police can search you
if you resist, they will use force

if a cop wants to search you, just relax and all will be well
yes sir, no sir ciao

Last edited by snappysammy; 01-18-2011 at 10:26 AM..
snappysammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #19 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda View Post
Really?

Getting drunk and belligerent in a public place should earn you a night in jail, not a night of rape and assault.
true- of course she did not deserve to be beaten and raped, nor him beaten, regardless of how drunk they were.

but -you have to wonder if the whole thing would have happened if they had NOT been so intoxicated, no?

IMO it is stupid to behave in a way on vacation that you would not behave at home. People tend to think they can act like idiots in Mexico, and it's all going to be just fine, for some reason.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #20 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Luv2Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappysammy View Post
if the guy had not been belligerant none of this would have happened
drunk on nye?? not a problem
fight with the polis?? problem

this is mexico, not canada, the police can search you
if you resist, they will use force

if a cop wants to search you, just relax and all will be well
yes sir, no sir ciao
If her husband was the problem, why did they haul her in and allegedly rape her? Did I miss part of the story?
Luv2Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #21 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 109
These are the type of allegations that there is no middle ground...either it happened or it didn't. If it did, no rationalizations about how drunk they were or any other rationalizations, are acceptable. Rape is not an acceptable punishment for anything. It's just our way of telling ourselves this couldn't happen to us.

Not mentioned in the article, but featured in the news report, is that his Blackberry was allegedly stolen and updates made to his Facebook page in broken English.

One question I have, though, is if she was gang raped, even in the absence of DNA evidence, there should be physical evidence such as bruising and swelling. Maybe this is documented but it has not been mentioned by anyone.

In my gut I believe them, although I don't want to. I doubt anyone will ever get to the bottom of this.
hooterville_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #22 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooterville_mom View Post
These are the type of allegations that there is no middle ground...either it happened or it didn't. If it did, no rationalizations about how drunk they were or any other rationalizations, are acceptable. Rape is not an acceptable punishment for anything. It's just our way of telling ourselves this couldn't happen to us.

Not mentioned in the article, but featured in the news report, is that his Blackberry was allegedly stolen and updates made to his Facebook page in broken English.

One question I have, though, is if she was gang raped, even in the absence of DNA evidence, there should be physical evidence such as bruising and swelling. Maybe this is documented but it has not been mentioned by anyone.

In my gut I believe them, although I don't want to. I doubt anyone will ever get to the bottom of this.
Did you read the whole article?

It mentioned the Blackberry/Facebook thing. It also had pictures of her (as Sue mentioned) with bruising and cuts.


And no, of course rape is not acceptable punishment for public intoxication, nor 'belligerence'. But it might be responsible advice to remind people on a travel forum that when you are in a foreign country, it's maybe a good idea to behave in certain ways, too. It's not a rationalization to say that people sometimes make bad choices and there are unwanted consequences.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #23 (permalink)
US Consular Agent PdC

 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 15,166
I just posted this on a FB thread about this very article--after having watched the video:

I have no reason to not believe it's possible that she was raped--after all, such a thing, while horrific, is possible anywhere. But there is something so fishy about this story and their manner. I can't really put my finger on it--and I am distressed, of course, by the bad press, but if it is true that hardly matters.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #24 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Miguel de Allende, GTO
Posts: 193
Bad cops happen.
Those guys should be hung by their nuts.
FrankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #25 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I just posted this on a FB thread about this very article--after having watched the video:

I have no reason to not believe it's possible that she was raped--after all, such a thing, while horrific, is possible anywhere. But there is something so fishy about this story and their manner. I can't really put my finger on it--and I am distressed, of course, by the bad press, but if it is true that hardly matters.
It sort of doesn't matter if they're lying because the credibility of Mexican police and authorities is pretty close to zero, so short of video footage showing her during her entire stay with the police they really have no way to fight such an allegation.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #26 (permalink)
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: gone
Posts: 10,448
All I know for certain is that Mexican jails do indeed smell like urine. It seems like it would take half the Playa police force to cover this up if it did happen. I hope an investigation reveals the truth.
user 6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #27 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: THE Minnesota
Posts: 2,164
No sarcasm or malice intended by this question;
Why does it seem like so much bad stuff happens to Canadians down
there?
minnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #28 (permalink)
way into it
 
Ceelou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 172
ouf. this is a rough one.
The only sketch factor in here for me is the husband.
I don't get the whole "he heard from other inmates that his wife was being raped so he tried to kill himself to get the authorities attention" part.
It's just weird.
Looks like I'll be back on the defence to everyone about my May trip... it's getting tough!
Ceelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #29 (permalink)
aņejo
 
snappysammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Dance View Post
If her husband was the problem, why did they haul her in and allegedly rape her? Did I miss part of the story?
no, dahling
it is never right to get raped, that was not my point

if the guy did not get snarky with the cops, none of this would have happened
that does not excuse the polis any bad behavior, if the allegations are true

i have been treated much worse by police in the US than the police in mexico all other things being equal
the laws in mexico are not like in canada or the US, be cooperative with the local polis and most of the time there will be no problem
get agressive with them, and quite often you will be creating a problem for yourself that would not have happened with a little courtesy and cooperation
snappysammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #30 (permalink)
US Consular Agent PdC

 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 15,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPibil View Post
It sort of doesn't matter if they're lying because the credibility of Mexican police and authorities is pretty close to zero, so short of video footage showing her during her entire stay with the police they really have no way to fight such an allegation.
Right, and like I said, I have no reason to not believe that it's possible. I do think it's strange the rape kit came back negative--unlikely that a rapist would take the time to wear a condom, especially in Mexico, where condom use isn't exactly mandatory.

Her manner on the video seems sort of nonchalant to me, but who am I to say how someone should behave after something that terrible happened?

I, too, hope they get to the bottom of this. Particularly seeing as I live here and this could potentially happen to me, should I have occasion to run-in with the local cops.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.