Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011   #31 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnjim View Post
No sarcasm or malice intended by this question;
Why does it seem like so much bad stuff happens to Canadians down
there?

it doesn't. Not at all.

Look at the stats-FAR more Americans die in various ways in Mexico than Canadians, every year. We actually make up a very small percentage of foreign tourists to Mexico, compared to Americans.

Our press reports it more, I think. And a big reason why it is reported more is the sheer numbers- more deaths mean people and the press become desensitized to reports about them, naturally.

Another reason is there are more Canadians every year travelling to Mexico...so therefore more stories of things that do happen, even though they involve a tiny percentage of the whole.


There HAS been a couple of notable cases involving Canadians and Playa for some reason, like the Barcelo murders and the guy from Alberta who 'disappeared'. Which were also fishy.

Last edited by Rissask; 01-18-2011 at 12:32 PM..
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #32 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 109
It would have been helpful if hubby has known his rights before trying to assert ones he didn't have.

We just got back 2 days ago and didn't feel unsafe at all, ever, even 2 females walking 5th at 12:30am.
hooterville_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #33 (permalink)
beach geek
admin
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 10 year Playa resident lost in Sweden
Posts: 12,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I, too, hope they get to the bottom of this. Particularly seeing as I live here and this could potentially happen to me, should I have occasion to run-in with the local cops.
Or the Seattle cops, or California cops, another California example, Florida Cops, Toronto, Baltimore, Anchorage, Nashville, Newcastle....

It's amazing how many you find searching Google news for police accused rape.
__________________
Get your own signature countdown image!

james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #34 (permalink)
US Consular Agent PdC

 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 15,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Or the Seattle cops, or California cops, another California example, Florida Cops, or Toronto....

It's amazing how many you find searching Google news for police accused rape.
Absolutely. Which is exactly why I don't think it's impossible.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #35 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Golden Gopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda View Post
Really?

Getting drunk and belligerent in a public place should earn you a night in jail, not a night of rape and assault.
Zelda, please read my whole post. If this happened the way she has decribed it is a very horrible experience. My point is very simple. To avoid situations where this crime could even potentially take place, cut down on the liquor. Stay in control. If you get intoxicated in public, you may only deserve a night in jail, but sometimes you get way more than you or anybody with you deserves!!!!! Stay Safe.
Golden Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #36 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: THE Minnesota
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
it doesn't. Not at all.

Look at the stats-FAR more Americans die in various ways in Mexico than Canadians, every year. We actually make up a very small percentage of foreign tourists to Mexico, compared to Americans.

Our press reports it more, I think. And a big reason why it is reported more is the sheer numbers- more deaths mean people and the press become desensitized to reports about them, naturally.

Another reason is there are more Canadians every year travelling to Mexico...so therefore more stories of things that do happen, even though they involve a tiny percentage of the whole.


There HAS been a couple of notable cases involving Canadians and Playa for some reason, like the Barcelo murders and the guy from Alberta who 'disappeared'. Which were also fishy.
I was only able to find this regarding Americans:
Crimes Against Turits in Mexico – Mexico Travel Guide

"Next, the reader needs to understand that approximately 20 million Americans visit Mexico each year, far more than any other country in the world per the US Dept Commerce. Therefore, we know that about 50 individuals out of every 20 million US visitors to Mexico are murdered during a violent crime every year while in Mexico. "


If you have any comparable links showing the numbers for Canada, I would be interested in reading it. Not doubting it, just couldn't find any links to the subject.
Thanks!
minnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #37 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceelou View Post
ouf. this is a rough one.
The only sketch factor in here for me is the husband.
I don't get the whole "he heard from other inmates that his wife was being raped so he tried to kill himself to get the authorities attention" part.
It's just weird.
Looks like I'll be back on the defence to everyone about my May trip... it's getting tough!
This was the same thing I was thinking. Something is just not right.
Reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #38 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Bryzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 917
People tend to think they can act like idiots in Mexico, and it's all going to be just fine, for some reason. [/quote]

I think that comment is true for many spring breakers in Cancun, etc and some adults ....but I disagree that we ["people"] are mostly all idiots while in Mexico.
Bryzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #39 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnjim View Post
I was only able to find this regarding Americans:
Crimes Against Turits in Mexico – Mexico Travel Guide

"Next, the reader needs to understand that approximately 20 million Americans visit Mexico each year, far more than any other country in the world per the US Dept Commerce. Therefore, we know that about 50 individuals out of every 20 million US visitors to Mexico are murdered during a violent crime every year while in Mexico. "


If you have any comparable links showing the numbers for Canada, I would be interested in reading it. Not doubting it, just couldn't find any links to the subject.
Thanks!
New stats suggest Canadian tourists undeterred by Mexico drug war; visits rise - Travel - Living - Truro Daily News


Quote:
Canadian tourists don’t seem too deterred by the bloody drug war gripping Mexico and increasingly unflattering comparisons of that country to a narco-state.

In fact, numbers released to The Canadian Press suggest the volume of tourists jumped 18 per cent in the first half of 2010 compared with the same period last year.

The number of Canadian visitors has surged by nearly one-third since 2008 and has increased in each of the last six years, according to figures set to be released Tuesday by the Mexican government.

The most popular destination for the 925,000 Canadians who went to Mexico in the year’s first half was the turquoise-coloured shore of Cancun — which, deep in the country’s south, is far from the epicentre of the drug violence.

Over 500,000 visited Cancun’s famous beaches, while 157,000 went to Puerto Vallarta and 75,000 visited the capital, Mexico City.
The Mexican government credits the high Canadian dollar, and the quality of its own tourism industry, for the increase.

Only the United States sent more tourists to Mexico in 2009, with 5.4 million compared with the 1.2 million from Canada.

However, considering the total population of each country, the percentage of Canadian citizens travelling to Mexico was more than twice as high — 3.59 per cent, compared to 1.73 per cent from the U.S.

Less than three per cent of Canadians made the trip by car, while the vast majority chose air travel.

Mexico has been plagued for several years by battles between drug cartels that have resulted in the brutal killings of civilians, journalists, police and public officials.

Several Canadian tourists in recent years have also perished in events that received widespread publicity in this country.

The overall number of international tourists to Mexico did slide by almost 5 per cent in 2009 — with 21.5 million visitors, compared with 22.6 million the previous year, according to the United Nations World Tourism Organization.

But the country continued to hold its top 10 spot on the UN’s list of world tourism destinations.
Interesting....so even though our total number of tourists is lower, due to our lower pop our PERCENTAGE is higher than yours.

So that also maybe helps to explain why when something negative does happen to a Canadian tourist, it gets more press- more people either travel to Mexico or have close friends and family who do, therefore it is more newsworthy. Also the numbers of people affected is lower, therefore more rare and more newsworthy for that reason too.

Here is another story:


Quote:
As the family of a 51-year-old Ottawa-area man plan the repatriation of his remains after discovering his body stuffed in the trunk of a torched rental car in Mexico, the country’s tourist board is preparing to release news that more Canadians visited Mexico this year than ever before.

Daniel Dion, of Carleton Place, visiting Mexico on business, became the 15th Canadian to die an unnatural death there since 2006, many of them under shocking circumstances. Yet, more than 1½-million Canadians will visit Mexico in 2010.
Despite deaths, more Canadians visiting Mexico=

That is all I can find about numbers, 15 'unusual cases' since 2006....does not seem like very high number to me, out of 5 million or so. (and I know at least 2 of those were long term stay ex-pats, not one or two week vacationers, too.)
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #40 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzee View Post

I think that comment is true for many spring breakers in Cancun, etc and some adults ....but I disagree that we ["people"] are mostly all idiots while in Mexico.

I did not say 'ALL people'.... although I did not say 'some people', either. And yes, I should have said 'some people'....or 'too many', perhaps.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #41 (permalink)
añejo
 
Mr Cancun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Far North Dallas
Posts: 3,586
Send a message via AIM to Mr Cancun Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Cancun
Canaidian Tourist has run in with PdC Police

A Canadian woman alleges that Mexican police gang-raped her in jail after she and her fiancé were arrested while on vacation in Mexico for New Year's Eve, CBC News has learned.

Rebecca Rutland, 41, says police in the Mexican resort town of Playa del Carmen took the Ontario couple into custody in the late hours of Dec. 31 following a confrontation between officers and her fiancé.

Read more: CBC News - World - Canadian tourist accuses Mexican police of raping her
Mr Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #42 (permalink)
añejo
Merchant
 
Anna Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: playa del carmen...urgh
Posts: 10,193
How sad. Must have been horrible
Anna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #43 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Wilfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central BC, Canada
Posts: 680
How desensitized many of you sound, I am a bit saddened by this.

The word used is RAPE, not beaten, not abused, not anything else, to be concerned more about which country has worse stats or that police in other areas have been accused of RAPE is really so upsetting to me.

I feel that it should not matter what the rules are in a country you come from or go to, RAPE is illegal in all of our countries, it should not matter what you do or who you piss off RAPE is not OK in any way for any reason.

I think once you have been RAPED you will be entitled to judge how one should act or how to tell who is fishy or not fishy. I have seen more emotion and understanding shown on questions regarding Speeding Morditas.

This thread is sad in more ways than one
Wilfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #44 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 447
I CAN picture a drunken tourist getting completely out of control and mouthing off to police.

I CAN picture a rip roaring drunk tourist feeling mean, entitled, and bullet proof.

I CAN picture a tourist wanting to fight anyone who disagrees with him.

The police have a duty to stop dangerous disruptive behavior.

If you drunkenly fight the police they will take you to jail. I'll wager the USA and Mexico are the same in that respect.

I CAN picture two disruptive intoxicated tourists being taken to jail.



Can only speak for myself but after a dozen Playa trips have NEVER had a problem with police.
PlayaRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #45 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Y2YTraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdiver View Post
This was the same thing I was thinking. Something is just not right.
I have read the story a few times and my inclination is to disbelieve the allegations for the following reasons:

1) Hubby's story is entirely lacking in credibility; it is bizarre and implausible and internally inconsistent.
2) False allegations of rape & sexual assault are not at all uncommon; secondary gain, whether it be the prospect of financial compensation or something more complex, is an extremely powerful motivator. False sex assault claims are especially problematic because they are extremely difficult to disprove and they frequently result in some type of "reward" to the complainant. For example, they are an all-too frequent feature of many divorce and custody disputes, with studies suggesting the rate of false accusations may be as high as 50% in that context.
3) Absence of physical evidence - a negative rape kit test implies that either the alleged rape lacked physical roughness (which would be inconsistent with the bruising and alleged bite marks), or that the alleged attacker wore a condom, which certainly seems quite inconsistent with the rest of the victim's story. I note that the CBC's "expert" on that point is a nurse-clinician and victims' advocate with no forensic training whatsoever
4) The fact that the only major Canadian news outlet to pick this story up so far is the CBC, which has a history of running with stories which turn out to have no "legs", certainly raises a red flag for a lot of people.
5) Finally, the alleged victim's demeanour doesn't quite fit. Genuine victims of rape, especially those who have suffered at the hands of authority figures, tend to be fearful & withdrawn to shun attention and publicity, often having to be carefully encouraged and supported in order to find the strength to confront their attackers and engage the justice system. This woman displays quite the opposite demeanour. While this factor in isolation probably doesn't mean much, when combined with the other inconsistencies in the story, it is definitely problematic.

None of the above conclusively rules out the possibility that these allegations are true or partly true, however the preponderance of implausibility strongly suggests that they are either fabricated or grossly exaggerated. Certainly, no court in Canada would convict on evidence as flimsy as this.

Therefore, unless some corroboration arises, I remain unconvinced.
Y2YTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.