Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011   #31 (permalink)
aņejo
 
kathy.web's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Missouri-North of KC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold-R View Post
AI's are a good question because I don't know how much the folks that work there are getting. We stayed at Secrets last year and I was tipping 10 peso's per visit by a wait person bringing drinks. The problem I had was getting pesos. The front desk didn't have much small cash, they told us they would get us some but never did, I will be better prepared this trip.
I always tip in pesos whenever possible. I also bring a stash of USD singles for when I'm in a position of needing to tip and only having big peso bills. You're in Mexico, use pesos, BUT I'm sure a waiter would rather have USD than nothing!
kathy.web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #32 (permalink)
Travel Insurance Tester

 
Shammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Joisey Shore
Posts: 18,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold-R View Post
AI's are a good question because I don't know how much the folks that work there are getting. We stayed at Secrets last year and I was tipping 10 peso's per visit by a wait person bringing drinks. The problem I had was getting pesos. The front desk didn't have much small cash, they told us they would get us some but never did, I will be better prepared this trip.
I am a believer in using pesos when I'm in Mexico but....when I go to an AI resort, I do tip in USD. The reason - it's extremely difficult to have the proper denomination of pesos to use for tipping. If I go to an ATM, I get 500 pesos notes or other bigger bills and it's tough to get those broken down at a resort, it's tough to get anything broken down into the proper tipping amounts and have it on hand at all times. I mean you can only go to the front desk to ask for change so many times before you make a pest out of yourself and the front desk doesn't always have change. For this reason, I bring a stack of $1's and $5's with me for the sole purpose of tipping. This way I always have the right bills to leave the staff. I get that they have to change them over to USD, but as far as I'm concerned, it's better to have tipping money on hand at all times to reward the staff than to struggle with getting change and not have money on hand TO tip.
Shammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #33 (permalink)
aņejo
 
kathy.web's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Missouri-North of KC
Posts: 3,657
Another tip: I have seen waiters spending USD at Walmart. The cashier will not take the really beat-up bills, so I always make sure the USD I bring are not too badly worn.
kathy.web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #34 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Doggiemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Humble, Texas
Posts: 9,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy.web View Post
Another tip: I have seen waiters spending USD at Walmart. The cashier will not take the really beat-up bills, so I always make sure the USD I bring are not too badly worn.
So true, nothing worn too much or torn!
Doggiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #35 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
I am a believer in using pesos when I'm in Mexico but....when I go to an AI resort, I do tip in USD. The reason - it's extremely difficult to have the proper denomination of pesos to use for tipping. If I go to an ATM, I get 500 pesos notes or other bigger bills and it's tough to get those broken down at a resort, it's tough to get anything broken down into the proper tipping amounts and have it on hand at all times. I mean you can only go to the front desk to ask for change so many times before you make a pest out of yourself and the front desk doesn't always have change. For this reason, I bring a stack of $1's and $5's with me for the sole purpose of tipping. This way I always have the right bills to leave the staff. I get that they have to change them over to USD, but as far as I'm concerned, it's better to have tipping money on hand at all times to reward the staff than to struggle with getting change and not have money on hand TO tip.

I agree with this.

it can be difficult to get smaller denomination pesos quite often when in Mexico.

Our problem is our $2 and $1 are coins in Canada, and they don't want that, for sure. But we had leftover USD from trips to the US sometimes and have brought that along to use for tipping in a pinch.

We have always found that when we ask for smaller denominations and give them a 200 peso in the mornings at the hotel desk, and tell them it is for tipping, they are usually very accomodating, as long as they have it of course.....but yeah, sometimes they just can't make change.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #36 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 690
My novia`s son-in-law is a taxi driver and their favorite joke of the day is telling stories of gringos overtipping or falling for stories about gas prices, national holidays, zone changes, etc.
ranchhand1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #37 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 7,956
Will keep in mind to tip the maids daily.

We usually tip 15-20% at restaurants/bars. I always let Michael do the math b/c after a few drinks I forget my math.

As for Taxi's there have been times when we tip them and when we rented a condo in Playacar we experienced the driver that only opened the trunk and let us get our groceries out... I think Michael still tipped him!
LucyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #38 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
TCed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Traverse City, Mi
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
I am a believer in using pesos when I'm in Mexico but....when I go to an AI resort, I do tip in USD. The reason - it's extremely difficult to have the proper denomination of pesos to use for tipping. If I go to an ATM, I get 500 pesos notes or other bigger bills and it's tough to get those broken down at a resort, it's tough to get anything broken down into the proper tipping amounts and have it on hand at all times. I mean you can only go to the front desk to ask for change so many times before you make a pest out of yourself and the front desk doesn't always have change. For this reason, I bring a stack of $1's and $5's with me for the sole purpose of tipping. This way I always have the right bills to leave the staff. I get that they have to change them over to USD, but as far as I'm concerned, it's better to have tipping money on hand at all times to reward the staff than to struggle with getting change and not have money on hand TO tip.
Having just returned I agree.
TCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #39 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
JohnnyVirgil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 267
It seems I over-tip. They are probably making fun of me as I type this. The only guy I hated tipping was the guy in the cancun men's room who handed me a paper towel and then stood in front of me blocking the door. I gave him a buck US because it's all I had.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #40 (permalink)
US Consular Agent PdC

 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 15,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
It seems I over-tip. They are probably making fun of me as I type this. The only guy I hated tipping was the guy in the cancun men's room who handed me a paper towel and then stood in front of me blocking the door. I gave him a buck US because it's all I had.
If only you had known, you could have wiped with it first.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #41 (permalink)
aņejo
 
beer_dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
If only you had known, you could have wiped with it first.
beer_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #42 (permalink)
aņejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 21,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
I am a believer in using pesos when I'm in Mexico but....when I go to an AI resort, I do tip in USD. The reason - it's extremely difficult to have the proper denomination of pesos to use for tipping. If I go to an ATM, I get 500 pesos notes or other bigger bills and it's tough to get those broken down at a resort, it's tough to get anything broken down into the proper tipping amounts and have it on hand at all times. I mean you can only go to the front desk to ask for change so many times before you make a pest out of yourself and the front desk doesn't always have change. For this reason, I bring a stack of $1's and $5's with me for the sole purpose of tipping. This way I always have the right bills to leave the staff. I get that they have to change them over to USD, but as far as I'm concerned, it's better to have tipping money on hand at all times to reward the staff than to struggle with getting change and not have money on hand TO tip.
Amen sista !
(cause that is what I do as well)
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.