Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > Changarros y más...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011   #16 (permalink)
añejo
 
canadiense loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer,Alberta,Canada
Posts: 2,105
Had the arrachera at the HC 1st St. Sur location on my last trip in February, and it was not until I was served my meal that I noticed it was no longer a CH Super Carne. I did not find the arrachera as good this time around.
Just a bad day or has anyone else experienced the same thing?
canadiense loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #17 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 284
We were there in early Mar. and I was also surprised to see the HC logo. I also thought the meat wasn't as good. It was marinated more and the pieces were not cut into small pieces like CH used to be. It was also more expensive by about 30 pesos. I was disappointed that it was taken over by HC.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #18 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: shepshed, england
Posts: 21
good food.

We will be there again on the 18th.May and we will be straight to Mannies beer garden .We have had all his specials and it would be safe to say we have not been disappointed,my wife always needs a doggy bag as the portions are huge. We will also be back to Indigo on the beach it is excellently cooked food and very friendly,sea view added bonus.
j5avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #19 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by j5avs View Post
We will be there again on the 18th.May and we will be straight to Mannies beer garden .We have had all his specials and it would be safe to say we have not been disappointed,my wife always needs a doggy bag as the portions are huge. We will also be back to Indigo on the beach it is excellently cooked food and very friendly,sea view added bonus.
I thought I read Manne is going to be vacationing in Berlin (where it's always wet season ) starting May 15th, so you might be disappointed.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #20 (permalink)
US Consular Agent PdC

 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 15,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiense loco View Post
Had the arrachera at the HC 1st St. Sur location on my last trip in February, and it was not until I was served my meal that I noticed it was no longer a CH Super Carne. I did not find the arrachera as good this time around.
Just a bad day or has anyone else experienced the same thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
We were there in early Mar. and I was also surprised to see the HC logo. I also thought the meat wasn't as good. It was marinated more and the pieces were not cut into small pieces like CH used to be. It was also more expensive by about 30 pesos. I was disappointed that it was taken over by HC.
It was originally HC and then it became CH (and CH bought their meat from HC), and now it's HC again? Who can keep up?

I never noticed any difference in HC vs. CH arrachera--maybe because it was the same.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #21 (permalink)
way into it
 
PincheMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPibil View Post
I thought I read Manne is going to be vacationing in Berlin (where it's always wet season ) starting May 15th, so you might be disappointed.
Glad to see that I'll arrive before their vacation. I've heard good things and plan to consume a few beverages there Sunday of next week!
PincheMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011   #22 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: La Toscana, Playa
Posts: 306
Quote:
I know people rave about El Fogon, it seems like it is the 'only game in town' for 'authentic' Mexican for tourists

That's the problem: it is food for tourists. I went there and thought that everything tasted horrible. The meat tasted like roadkill and the salsas like water. I visited several taquerias looking for authentic mexican pastor tacos and never found anything.

Will continue to look in a couple of weeks when I am there... there must be some place with good, authentic mexican tacos with hot salsas, and not the typical bland, flavorless stuff meant for tourists.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011   #23 (permalink)
Sue
añejo
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 18,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman View Post
That's the problem: it is food for tourists. I went there and thought that everything tasted horrible. The meat tasted like roadkill and the salsas like water. I visited several taquerias looking for authentic mexican pastor tacos and never found anything.

Will continue to look in a couple of weeks when I am there... there must be some place with good, authentic mexican tacos with hot salsas, and not the typical bland, flavorless stuff meant for tourists.
Try the green sauce at Don Sirloin, my new favorite place for tacos.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011   #24 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman View Post
That's the problem: it is food for tourists. I went there and thought that everything tasted horrible. The meat tasted like roadkill and the salsas like water. I visited several taquerias looking for authentic mexican pastor tacos and never found anything.

Will continue to look in a couple of weeks when I am there... there must be some place with good, authentic mexican tacos with hot salsas, and not the typical bland, flavorless stuff meant for tourists.

Try Billy the Kid on Calle 4 at Ave 15. Cheap delish tacos, hot, hot sauce.

Also Sandras on Calle 4 at Ave 25. Not as good as Billy the Kid but good. Hot sauces.

Also if she is still there good quesdillas on Ave 30 just south of Calle 4, just almost under Mom's Hotel. A little hole in the wall, the green sauce will light you up. She also has a chipole sauce that is wonderful.

Also a little place on the corner of Calle 2 and Ave 30. Good place, all locals.


All these places are very reasonable, all locals.
mexisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011   #25 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 362
Exclamation Hot stuff

The salsa at El Pirata (cocteleria?) on calle 40 between 5th ave and 10th ave is a 7 hiccup salsa. Also La Tarraya has some pretty hot stuff too.
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #26 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMN View Post
The salsa at El Pirata (cocteleria?) on calle 40 between 5th ave and 10th ave is a 7 hiccup salsa. Also La Tarraya has some pretty hot stuff too.
Chopped Habanero salsas have that effect - you try a little, carefully, then you gain some confidence and try more, then you gain too much confidence and find yourself sitting there speechless trying to do something about the burn. Gotta love it.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #27 (permalink)
añejo
 
Big Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPibil View Post
Chopped Habanero salsas have that effect - you try a little, carefully, then you gain some confidence and try more, then you gain too much confidence and find yourself sitting there speechless trying to do something about the burn. Gotta love it.
So perfectly described
Done that too many times! One of our first times in Playa we had a killer of a taco from Dr Tacos (self induced of course) and hubby loaded up as he adores the hottest stuff. Offered me some who forgot for a hungry second who had done the loading and it just about blew my brains out as we were walking back down 10th onto 5th . With watery eyes, and gasping for breath as we were rounding the corner, I spotted a 7/11, ran in, grabbed a yoghurty drink and downed it before even paying! Its sneaky stuff that habanero salsa
Big Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #28 (permalink)
añejo
 
queencityfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,397
Hey Prof,

Just wanted to thank you for your review of Luna Maya, we celebrated our Anniversary there last week and had one of the best meals we have had in Playa.

We started with the pulled chicken appetizer, there were 3 and I had to fight Joe over the 3rd.

Joe had a ribeye, perfectly cooked and served with a side of double cream corn that was soooo good.

I enjoyed the lamb chops, and the little beautiful rolls( some with some kind of cheese filling)

We had not planned on dessert but the Hostess remembered it was our Anniversary ( mentioned to her 2 days earlier when we went up to check the place out) and they brought out a wonderful creme brulee with fresh black rasberries.....drool!

The atmostsphere is beautiful and the service was correct and friendly.

We had dinner 3 nights at this intersection, Como Como ( had the special, pumpkin/raddichio raviolis w/a parmesean cream sauce, it was omg GOOD) and also had a delicious Chili en Nogada at La Cuevo Del Chango.
queencityfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #29 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Dan in Ct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenwich, Ct
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencityfan View Post
Hey Prof,

Just wanted to thank you for your review of Luna Maya, we celebrated our Anniversary there last week and had one of the best meals we have had in Playa.

We started with the pulled chicken appetizer, there were 3 and I had to fight Joe over the 3rd.

Joe had a ribeye, perfectly cooked and served with a side of double cream corn that was soooo good.

I enjoyed the lamb chops, and the little beautiful rolls( some with some kind of cheese filling)

We had not planned on dessert but the Hostess remembered it was our Anniversary ( mentioned to her 2 days earlier when we went up to check the place out) and they brought out a wonderful creme brulee with fresh black rasberries.....drool!

The atmostsphere is beautiful and the service was correct and friendly.

We had dinner 3 nights at this intersection, Como Como ( had the special, pumpkin/raddichio raviolis w/a parmesean cream sauce, it was omg GOOD) and also had a delicious Chili en Nogada at La Cuevo Del Chango.
By your post I'm guessing Luna Maya is around 38th and 5th correct?

And what is the address for Don Sirloin? please and thank you
Dan in Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #30 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Ct View Post
By your post I'm guessing Luna Maya is around 38th and 5th correct?

And what is the address for Don Sirloin? please and thank you
Luna Maya is on the Northeast corner of AV. 5 and calle 38 and is on the 2nd level above Baremar.

Don Sirloin is on AV. 30 between calle 32 and 34, east side of the street.

Last edited by absoluteAL; 09-12-2011 at 09:45 AM..
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.