Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011   #16 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Maddison1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 863
One of the girls in our group was also told about this open container policy one night as we were leaving/walking up 12th from 1st. The officer said it was a new law.
Maddison1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #17 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Yep. Brand new ordinance passed the other day.
As strange as it sounds, it governs Calle 12 between 1st Ave and 1st Ave Biz.
.
I am confused. Isn't this about a 1/2 block area so this shouldn't be a big deal? How are people getting busted on 5th then?
January Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #18 (permalink)
aņejo
 
jevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuh Vaaa Duh
Posts: 2,247
come drink in nevada. pretty much anything is legal.
jevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #19 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Luv2Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,301
What is wrong with finishing your drink at an establishment and then move on? I don't think I've ever felt the need to walk about in a city/town with a drink. I thought it was bizarre in New Orleans.
Luv2Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #20 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Dance View Post
What is wrong with finishing your drink at an establishment and then move on? I don't think I've ever felt the need to walk about in a city/town with a drink. I thought it was bizarre in New Orleans.
I agree.
mexisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #21 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Dance View Post
What is wrong with finishing your drink at an establishment and then move on? I don't think I've ever felt the need to walk about in a city/town with a drink. I thought it was bizarre in New Orleans.
Let's say that I am leaving the Luna Blue and making the 3/4 mile walk down to Bad Boys on a Thursday night. What is wrong with carrying a beer as I stroll down 5th? It is one of my favorite things to do in Playa.

I understand your point, but part of the reason I like Mexico is the "no shoes, no shirt, no problems" mentality, and I think this rule sucks if it applies to 5th, although from what I have read, I am not sure it applies to 5th.
January Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #22 (permalink)
life=playa
 
reddeb1530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by January Guy View Post
Let's say that I am leaving the Luna Blue and making the 3/4 mile walk down to Bad Boys on a Thursday night. What is wrong with carrying a beer as I stroll down 5th? It is one of my favorite things to do in Playa.

I understand your point, but part of the reason I like Mexico is the "no shoes, no shirt, no problems" mentality, and I think this rule sucks if it applies to 5th, although from what I have read, I am not sure it applies to 5th.
Agree.....and if they are going to start dishing out fines....make it public knowledge for awhile first. Ya...I know...it's Mexico...
reddeb1530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #23 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,105
That was one of the great things about Playa. Buy a cold single bottle at the Playa Mart and drink it as we walked to the restaurant chosen for that night.

And I agree that it sounds like the area in the ordinance is a very small area and not 5th Avenue itself down by the Calle 4 area.
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #24 (permalink)
aņejo
Merchant
 
Anna Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: playa del carmen...urgh
Posts: 10,193
i don't see the problem with not being able to drink on the streets ( the only problem was for the guys that got ripped off). If I remember well in the Us you can't drink on the streets, so there is no big change of things for tourists
Anna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #25 (permalink)
reposado
 
PAUL250268's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 1,165
I always thought it was illegal.

Paul
PAUL250268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #26 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Tortuga View Post
i don't see the problem with not being able to drink on the streets ( the only problem was for the guys that got ripped off). If I remember well in the Us you can't drink on the streets, so there is no big change of things for tourists
Part of the reason I go to Mexico is that it is not the US. Part of the reason that tourists go to Mexico is to live a life different than they live in the US.
January Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #27 (permalink)
aņejo
 
WaterRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by January Guy View Post
Part of the reason I go to Mexico is that it is not the US. Part of the reason that tourists go to Mexico is to live a life different than they live in the US.
Is the new law really going to affect your Mexican experience that much?

Thought about diversifying a bit?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #28 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Is the new law really going to affect your Mexican experience that much?

Thought about diversifying a bit?
Diversifying what?

No it won't affect my experience that much. But it doesn't mean I can't think the new law sucks if it applies to 5th...
January Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #29 (permalink)
aņejo
 
WaterRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by January Guy View Post
Diversifying what?

No it won't affect my experience that much. But it doesn't mean I can't think the new law sucks if it applies to 5th...
Your interests and activities. With a little diversity, perhaps it won't affect your Mexican experience at all.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #30 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Your interests and activities. With a little diversity, perhaps it won't affect your Mexican experience at all.
Okay, next time I book a vacation to Mexico, I will ask you to schedule my activities.

Thanks so much for your concern.
January Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.