Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > Changarros y más...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011   #16 (permalink)
añejo
 
Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 40 miles south east of Boston
Posts: 7,496
I just made these spicey chicken empanadas, the pastry comes frozen, the filling was my creation.


Last edited by Ranger; 09-25-2011 at 02:10 PM..
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #17 (permalink)
añejo
Merchant
 
Michele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen, QR, MX
Posts: 6,263
I think you have already found my favorite...Don Luis on the corner of 12 bis and Ave. 20 (across from the ADO station). I have been going to him for years. These are wheat flour based, FYI. You have to get there before 9:30am or he will be sold out and gone. The guy across the street has fresh OJ to round out your breakfast!

I also found a guy up on 307 at the Mini Super Leon, near the filtro policial. It is after the Pemex but before Chilly Willys. He makes corn flour based empanadas with a variety of fillings. I am partial to the chicharron. I know it is completely off the route of the average visitor but if you happen to be hitchhiking or whatnot , give them a try. He is there all day.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #18 (permalink)
añejo
 
Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 40 miles south east of Boston
Posts: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I think you have already found my favorite...Don Luis on the corner of 12 bis and Ave. 20 (across from the ADO station). I have been going to him for years. These are wheat flour based, FYI. You have to get there before 9:30am or he will be sold out and gone. The guy across the street has fresh OJ to round out your breakfast!

I also found a guy up on 307 at the Mini Super Leon, near the filtro policial. It is after the Pemex but before Chilly Willys. He makes corn flour based empanadas with a variety of fillings. I am partial to the chicharron. I know it is completely off the route of the average visitor but if you happen to be hitchhiking or whatnot , give them a try. He is there all day.
I'll be hunting , on 20 th

Guy on 307, transportation wise colectivo?
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #19 (permalink)
añejo
Merchant
 
Michele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen, QR, MX
Posts: 6,263
A very short colectivo ride. You could ride a bike? It's just south of the end of Playacar really, on the other side of 307.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #20 (permalink)
añejo
 
Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 40 miles south east of Boston
Posts: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
A very short colectivo ride. You could ride a bike? It's just south of the end of Playacar really, on the other side of 307.
OK, we may be ready to venture out in that direction, no bikes, I may try walking, that's where the collectivo may be good.

We haven't been in that direction without being on a bus, at least not that far!
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #21 (permalink)
añejo
 
duffey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Roscoe,IL
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
I just made these spicey chicken empanadas, the pastry comes frozen, the filling was my creation.


Looks good .

Did you bake or fry ? What brand of frozen pastry ?
duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #22 (permalink)
añejo
 
Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 40 miles south east of Boston
Posts: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffey View Post
Looks good .

Did you bake or fry ? What brand of frozen pastry ?
I fried them in veg. oil, the filling I made was pre-cooked chicken, hot pepper, green pepper, onion, carrot, celery, green onion and an envelope of taco seasoning.

Chopped all that and sauted it, chilled the mixture then made the pastries with Goya disco's...............



link
Goya Products
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #23 (permalink)
añejo
 
Paw'boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Adventure Port
Posts: 2,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I think you have already found my favorite...Don Luis on the corner of 12 bis and Ave. 20 (across from the ADO station). I have been going to him for years. These are wheat flour based, FYI. You have to get there before 9:30am or he will be sold out and gone. The guy across the street has fresh OJ to round out your breakfast!

I also found a guy up on 307 at the Mini Super Leon, near the filtro policial. It is after the Pemex but before Chilly Willys. He makes corn flour based empanadas with a variety of fillings. I am partial to the chicharron. I know it is completely off the route of the average visitor but if you happen to be hitchhiking or whatnot , give them a try. He is there all day.
MSL some of the coldest beer in town, a frequent stop on the way home to PA for a frosty The empanada guy is great!

Last edited by Paw'boy; 10-27-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Paw'boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #24 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Wilfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central BC, Canada
Posts: 680
There is a place on 5th between 28 y 30 on the left if you are traveling North, it has tall black tables on the street edge and reg height tables inside.

I enjoyed a lovely Empanada con Queso there 3 weeks ago. It was really delish, they did have other types, but I do love the Queso with salsa and purple onions.....mmmmmmm

Oh my god reading these threads has my stomach growling.
Wilfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #25 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 769
Manolos I think,and yes they do have good ones.On the short list after our arrival Sunday.
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #26 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Wilfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central BC, Canada
Posts: 680
I am in Playa fo 3 weeks for a Course and I think I will end up there as the food was yummy.

Thanks for the name.
Wilfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #27 (permalink)
añejo
 
snappysammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,064
manolo's is on vacation
i reckon they will b opening soon
on 32 and 5th

south american girl on the corner of 5th and 48 makes very good empanadas

Last edited by snappysammy; 10-26-2011 at 11:44 PM..
snappysammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #28 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 173
next to Centro Maya on side of entrance road

The best empanadas we have had are the fresh ones made by the ladies next to Centro Maya. They have a small structure where they make them while you wait and have plastic tables and chairs under a tarp where you can sit and eat. We order the Oxaha cheese empanadas. There has always been a lineup of taxi drivers and other locals waiting for their empanadas and all our daughter's friends order them for takeout for morning coffee breaks.
mominplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #29 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
lovetheroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominplaya View Post
The best empanadas we have had are the fresh ones made by the ladies next to Centro Maya. They have a small structure where they make them while you wait and have plastic tables and chairs under a tarp where you can sit and eat. We order the Oxaha cheese empanadas. There has always been a lineup of taxi drivers and other locals waiting for their empanadas and all our daughter's friends order them for takeout for morning coffee breaks.
We just tried this place a few weeks ago - loved it! I can't even remember what meat we selected for our empanadas but they were really good. Just take a cold beer with you, all they had was cokes. Yummy.
lovetheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #30 (permalink)
añejo
 
Paw'boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Adventure Port
Posts: 2,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheroo View Post
We just tried this place a few weeks ago - loved it! I can't even remember what meat we selected for our empanadas but they were really good. Just take a cold beer with you, all they had was cokes. Yummy.
Tio Cabana, one of my local stops when we are running errands. The Salbutes are great too.

Last week I bought the pre made empanada discs at Chedraui, made my own filling. egg wash and baked them, delish.
Paw'boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.