Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > Changarros y más...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011   #46 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 249
Any reviews of the new Don Sirloin?

Does anyone recommend any good dishes from them as well?
Emosh73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #47 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emosh73 View Post
Any reviews of the new Don Sirloin?

Does anyone recommend any good dishes from them as well?
Same as the other one.

Frioles Don Charros
Don Burro Burrito
Fajitas
Alambres
Tortas
Sirloin, Chicken tacos
Approach the salsa verde with caution
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #48 (permalink)
añejo
 
Jimontheriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Illinois on the Mississippi
Posts: 2,167
So, haws anyone tried the NEW Don Sirloin?
Jimontheriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #49 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimontheriver View Post
So, haws anyone tried the NEW Don Sirloin?
No. But it's the same people. They moved the boss and some of the staff from 30th to 10th, so I'm guessing it's exactly the same.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #50 (permalink)
añejo
 
snappysammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
No. But it's the same people. They moved the boss and some of the staff from 30th to 10th, so I'm guessing it's exactly the same.

like rick said, same people, same menu, same prices
waiting on the license to sell alcohol

it will be here "soon"
jajajaja

they will be successful
snappysammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #51 (permalink)
añejo
 
Big Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 1,954
We decided to try the old DS first a couple wks ago - ya know, to have the right comparison as the new one had only been open 1 day and we thought we would let them iron out the kinks first.

Absolutely delicious...we had pollo tacos, pastor and sirloin tacos (i actually preferred these 2 over the pollo), alhambre and frijoles don charro. Todo bien EXCEPT when the bill came...they tried to overcharge us on 2 items, which I caught them on. I walked over and got a menu to double check and sure enough....so called the waiter over. It took quite a while for them to change the bill.
So that was a real shame...but they weren't the only place that did that...

the next night we went to Como Como and the same thing happened2 for 2 nights....so remember to .........

CHECK YOUR BILLS (and pay attention to menu prices)
Big Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #52 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
We decided to try the old DS first a couple wks ago - ya know, to have the right comparison as the new one had only been open 1 day and we thought we would let them iron out the kinks first.

Absolutely delicious...we had pollo tacos, pastor and sirloin tacos (i actually preferred these 2 over the pollo), alhambre and frijoles don charro. Todo bien EXCEPT when the bill came...they tried to overcharge us on 2 items, which I caught them on. I walked over and got a menu to double check and sure enough....so called the waiter over. It took quite a while for them to change the bill.
So that was a real shame...but they weren't the only place that did that...

the next night we went to Como Como and the same thing happened2 for 2 nights....so remember to .........

CHECK YOUR BILLS (and pay attention to menu prices)

Did they also add their own tip to the bill?

Oh and did you still leave a good tip after all that?
Emosh73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #53 (permalink)
añejo
 
Big Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emosh73 View Post
Did they also add their own tip to the bill?

Oh and did you still leave a good tip after all that?
They did not add their own tip....I believe hubby left him less of a tip than what he would have got...but probably still pretty good despite what he did, knowing him!

The prices are not high so that parts not a big deal...its the principal - don't try and screw us over.... we own a place there and love to frequent the more local places a lot, but really don't appreciate when they see a foreighner and try to jack up the prices just because you are one. Just teaches us to be more diligent thats all!
Big Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #54 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 7,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
They did not add their own tip....I believe hubby left him less of a tip than what he would have got...but probably still pretty good despite what he did, knowing him!

The prices are not high so that parts not a big deal...its the principal - don't try and screw us over.... we own a place there and love to frequent the more local places a lot, but really don't appreciate when they see a foreighner and try to jack up the prices just because you are one. Just teaches us to be more diligent thats all!
So true. I am going to have to remember to keep a menu for reference when the bill comes. Hubby usually does not pay attention, even though I've told him what they do.
LucyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #55 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyE View Post
So true. I am going to have to remember to keep a menu for reference when the bill comes. Hubby usually does not pay attention, even though I've told him what they do.
Good idea indeed. My girlfriend is an accountant and she really pays close attention to finances and figures. She speaks Spanish fluently as well, so she can get her point across better, if being taken advantage of. This trip she is in charge of the tips because I have been accused of giving really good tips in my past trips

As for me, I am like your husband in that I don't usually pay attention to such details
Emosh73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #56 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 7,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emosh73 View Post
Good idea indeed. My girlfriend is an accountant and she really pays close attention to finances and figures. She speaks Spanish fluently as well, so she can get her point across better, if being taken advantage of. This trip she is in charge of the tips because I have been accused of giving really good tips in my past trips

As for me, I am like your husband in that I don't usually pay attention to such details
yes, he is just happy to be there, enjoying the meal... and he does tend to tip good... I on the other hand try to make him stick to 15% because "we have a lot of other places to eat at, so we need the $$"
LucyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #57 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyE View Post
yes, he is just happy to be there, enjoying the meal... and he does tend to tip good... I on the other hand try to make him stick to 15% because "we have a lot of other places to eat at, so we need the $$"
This trip I am on a tighter budget than before. Many places to eat as well.

I am guessing if someone gets 10% they will be lucky

Damn Accountants
Emosh73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #58 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 7,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emosh73 View Post
This trip I am on a tighter budget than before. Many places to eat as well.

I am guessing if someone gets 10% they will be lucky

Damn Accountants

LucyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #59 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 769
Hit the original location twice on our recent trip and it was very good-think it actually edged out El Fogon which I would have thought impossible.
Question for the regulars-on our first visit we got them to do a "feeds 4" for 2(3) and everything was excellent sirloin/chourico/pollo and arrechera.On the second visit we tried to get single components ( one arrechera and one sirloin) and they weren't even similar! Is there something different about the combo that we need to note on the single order or was it just better one night than another?
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #60 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 7,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Hit the original location twice on our recent trip and it was very good-think it actually edged out El Fogon which I would have thought impossible.
Question for the regulars-on our first visit we got them to do a "feeds 4" for 2(3) and everything was excellent sirloin/chourico/pollo and arrechera.On the second visit we tried to get single components ( one arrechera and one sirloin) and they weren't even similar! Is there something different about the combo that we need to note on the single order or was it just better one night than another?
How did they bring you the food, on a regular plate or on one of those warmers... If it was a warmer type pan, maybe all the juices from the different meats were all flowing and made it taste better?
LucyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.