Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: Other Destinations in Mexico
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011   #61 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,336
Thank you, Anne!

And I see you have started your trip report too....I have been waiting for that!
Rissask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #62 (permalink)
añejo
 
caramba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 7,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
Thank you, Anne!

And I see you have started your trip report too....I have been waiting for that!
Thanks. It's so much fun to relive a great trip by writing about it, huh?
caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #63 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by caramba View Post
Thanks. It's so much fun to relive a great trip by writing about it, huh?
It is also great to go back and read the reports a year or two later.

Amazing what we forget in that amount of time
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #64 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nebraska - Go Cornhuskers!
Posts: 1,073
Thanks! I always love your trip reports.
lindalou61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #65 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayaGroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southern 'burbs, Minnesota
Posts: 7,614
Catching up on my TR reading, thanks for sharing Maggie!

Adding Zihua to my places to visit someday! Gorgeous pictures.
PlayaGroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #66 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalou61 View Post
Thanks! I always love your trip reports.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaGroom View Post
Catching up on my TR reading, thanks for sharing Maggie!

Adding Zihua to my places to visit someday! Gorgeous pictures.
Thanks, Nick. I am sure you guys would love it, La Ropa is a great beach for little kids, too.
Rissask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #67 (permalink)
life=playa
 
cazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SE Minnesota
Posts: 769
Hey Maggie, Great trip report and pics . Reading this makes me think that sometime Dee Dee and I need to try the west side again. That's awesome that Don got a roosterfish too. Now he can go back and try for a bigger one

Tim
cazador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #68 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazador View Post
Hey Maggie, Great trip report and pics . Reading this makes me think that sometime Dee Dee and I need to try the west side again. That's awesome that Don got a roosterfish too. Now he can go back and try for a bigger one

Tim


You sure do know how fishermen think!!

He is planning on going to PV with a buddy on another fishing trip this November with exactly that aim in mind.
Rissask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #69 (permalink)
very sparkly
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 35
Loved your trip report. I've never been to the Pacific Side, and never really wanted to go. You may have changed my mind!

Thanks for the great pics as well!
beach4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012   #70 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach4me View Post
Loved your trip report. I've never been to the Pacific Side, and never really wanted to go. You may have changed my mind!

Thanks for the great pics as well!
You are welcome!

The Yucatan is almost a different country from the Pacific coast and the rest of Mexico. If you have only been there, I do think you are doing yourself a big disservice.

Our favourite places on the west coast are Zihua and Huatulco in particular and then the Manzanillo area, and then the beach towns of Sayulita and San Pancho north Puerto Vallarta.

PV proper would be last on my list of my favourites because the city has grown so huge and the water and beaches aren't that nice. (Too bad, because so many people go there once and then say "I hated the Pacific side (as if it is all like PV! ), the beaches were terrible!" ).
But the fishing is good, and the city is a foodie's Paradise.
Rissask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012   #71 (permalink)
añejo
 
Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 40 miles south east of Boston
Posts: 7,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
You are welcome!

The Yucatan is almost a different country from the Pacific coast and the rest of Mexico. If you have only been there, I do think you are doing yourself a big disservice.

Our favourite places on the west coast are Zihua and Huatulco in particular and then the Manzanillo area, and then the beach towns of Sayulita and San Pancho north Puerto Vallarta.

PV proper would be last on my list of my favourites because the city has grown so huge and the water and beaches aren't that nice. (Too bad, because so many people go there once and then say "I hated the Pacific side (as if it is all like PV! ), the beaches were terrible!" ).
But the fishing is good, and the city is a foodie's Paradise.
Thank's for the great TR Maggie, We should try somewhere new, but there is still more to see near Playa. You do make it enticing though!!
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #72 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Thank's for the great TR Maggie, We should try somewhere new, but there is still more to see near Playa. You do make it enticing though!!

There is more to see in much of the world, let alone Mexico, for sure.

Thanks for reading.
Rissask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #73 (permalink)
añejo
 
Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 40 miles south east of Boston
Posts: 7,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
There is more to see in much of the world, let alone Mexico, for sure.

Thanks for reading.
My wife has never been to Canada!!
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #74 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
hollywood65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 401
Very nice...Love the pics and the condo! My wife and I stayed in PV last May/June and again the end of Nov. Beginning of Dec. Looking for somewhere different. I do miss Playa but that place sure has me curious!
hollywood65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #75 (permalink)
way into it
 
prettymommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
I am going to make this short but sweet and mostly photos!

This was my fourth time to this area and Don's fifth.

Obviously we love Zihuatanejo, and no wonder- what is not to love?? Perfect winter weather, guaranteed hot and sunny. Ever. Single. Day.

Gorgeous sunsets. Jaw dropping mountain bay views. Bathtub warm and clear ocean water...and pools that are not going to freeze your nuts off (or whatever ).

Calm beaches for swimming and some for boogie boarding.


Great beaches and surprisingly good snorkeling (if you have only been to PV, the water is 100% nicer here!).

Great restaurants in this town- and the BEST seafood- lots of it and it is very reasonable- other than the lobster and shrimp.

Friendly, warm people everywhere, no timeshare sharks at all in Zihua- there are some at the airport, but they are not agressive at all, and quite a few in Ixtapa, another great reason to avoid Ixtapa, yuk yuk yuk ).

Guerrero DOES have advisories at this time, there is quite a lot of cartel activity and a fairly high murder rate related to that. Acapulco is about 2-3 hours away, and that city now has the second highest homicide rate in Mexico, after Cuidad Juarez. Also, it has a long term (and well-deserved) rep for lawlessness in general and massive corruption- BUT it is just as safe FOR TOURISTS as any other resort area in Mexico.

We felt VERY safe the entire time were there, and we walked all over downtown day and night. Our condo had 24 hour security guards, too. I was warned via PM from people on another website to not travel to certain other cities by car- Petatlan, Patzcuaro, and Morelia, which we were going to do- so we skipped that. But for a week there is PLENTY to see and do in Zihua- it is a city of 100,000, so pretty tough to get bored.
WOW WOW WOW.....Where is this? it kind of reminds me of Greece a little bit. I can see why you go back. Is this condo up for public rentals?
Oilpatchbratstayathomemom
From Alberta
prettymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.