Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > Introductions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012   #1 (permalink)
T&L
way into it
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 200
T&L (Hola)

Couple (40ish) from the Boston area looking forward to our first visit to PDC. We have been googling the chips out of of AI Resorts and keep agreeing on The Royal (REAL). We are shooting for the begining of November 2012 figuring that it will be just beyond the hurricane/wet season and could get some decent rates.

Luckily our searching has landed us here, to a wealth of information from some preety impressive frequent flyers.

Hope to get to know you all seeing I have a million questions. Dont worry though i promise to search this site up and down before either of us ever post a thread. So im gonna go back to my lurking and dreaming considering my trip is over 10 months away.

Ohhhh By the way .... How many pesos in a dollar? ... ... buenas noches
T&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #2 (permalink)
way into it
 
mexipat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&L View Post

Ohhhh By the way .... How many pesos in a dollar? ... ... buenas noches
Lots of ways to check that. Here's one,

Currency Exchange Rate Conversion Calculator
mexipat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #3 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Glencoe IL.
Posts: 304
You need to check the exchange rate a few days prior to your arrival!!!
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #4 (permalink)
T&L
way into it
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 200
Thanks for the input .... Now where would the best place be to exchange dollars for pesos ... here in the states ... airport ... or the 5th. I relaize that exchanging some immediately upon arrival at the airport would be necesary to pay transfers etc. But inquiring more about in town ... are there any banks should I use a debit card or should i use cash...
T&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #5 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&L View Post
Couple (40ish) from the Boston area looking forward to our first visit to PDC. We have been googling the chips out of of AI Resorts and keep agreeing on The Royal (REAL). We are shooting for the begining of November 2012 figuring that it will be just beyond the hurricane/wet season and could get some decent rates.

Luckily our searching has landed us here, to a wealth of information from some preety impressive frequent flyers.

Hope to get to know you all seeing I have a million questions. Dont worry though i promise to search this site up and down before either of us ever post a thread. So im gonna go back to my lurking and dreaming considering my trip is over 10 months away.

Ohhhh By the way .... How many pesos in a dollar? ... ... buenas noches
Welcome! No need to lurk. Ask away. If someone knows of a thread pertaining to your question, or has an answer or opinion, they will post it. 10 months isn't too far to start gathering info. Lots of good stuff here.

November is our favorite time to go for the reasons you mentioned. Others have their favorite times. We will be returning in November this year. I always get excited when I think of getting back.

I don't know the current peso rate. 12.5 to 1? When planning on what spending money to take, I base everything on 10 to 1 for good measure.

Last edited by Uno; 01-05-2012 at 07:00 PM..
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #6 (permalink)
T&L
way into it
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 200
Thank you all for the warm welcome!!!!
T&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #7 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&L View Post
Now where would the best place be to exchange dollars for pesos ... here in the states ...
Bank ATMs (not independents along 5th) will give you the best rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post

I don't know the current peso rate. 12.5 to 1? When planning on what spending money to take, I base everything on 10 to 1 for good measure.
The exchange rate is ~13.75 (now) to one. If you base everything on 10 to 1 you'll be off almost 40%.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #8 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Bank ATMs (not independents along 5th) will give you the best rate.



The exchange rate is ~13.75 (now) to one. If you base everything on 10 to 1 you'll be off almost 40%.
That's huge. What is a good (pre-plan) rate? 12? 13?
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #9 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
That's huge. What is a good (pre-plan) rate? 12? 13?
I don't understand your question.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #10 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
I don't understand your question.
Based on: If I (or he) was trying to figure out spending money 10 months in advance, what would be a good figure to work with?
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #11 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
Based on: If I (or he) was trying to figure out spending money 10 months in advance, what would be a good figure to work with?
Ahhh. Hard to answer. I'd say 12.5. But any "burp" in the economy can change it quickly.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #12 (permalink)
T&L
way into it
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Ahhh. Hard to answer. I'd say 12.5. But any "burp" in the economy can change it quickly.
Ya and by the looks of it the Peso is dropping steadily ... so no sense in buying ahead. Ill keep an eye on it ... for educational purposes only. It wouldnt make any difference to me.... I will purchase my first peso somewhere in the airport at Cancun... I imagine.
T&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #13 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&L View Post
Ya and by the looks of it the Peso is dropping steadily ... so no sense in buying ahead. Ill keep an eye on it ... for educational purposes only. It wouldnt make any difference to me.... I will purchase my first peso somewhere in the airport at Cancun... I imagine.
Have fun. Get hooked. PDC is awesome. (In my opinion anyway.)
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #14 (permalink)
T&L
way into it
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 200
Quote:
Have fun. Get hooked. PDC is awesome. (In my opinion anyway.)
Muchas Gracias
T&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #15 (permalink)
T&L
way into it
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 200
k enough of the Peso ... now back to we!

Neither of us have been out of the country for a while ... basically stay local and 'day trip'. Are last memorable day trip was to a little island off the coast of New Bedford called Cuttyhunk... Just shy of the infamous Marthas Vineyard. How one person put it .... It is what Marthas Vineyard is not.

Basically what im saying is we have been practicing ... we are rather good at it too!












Last edited by T&L; 08-25-2015 at 10:24 PM..
T&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.