Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: All-Inclusive Resorts in the Riviera Maya

Reply

 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012   #76 (permalink)
way into it
 
stevesul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western NY
Posts: 209
Great report and pictures! It brought back some memories..

We went to Barcelo Palace in mid Feb 2010...through Orbitz...with USA Transfers...in the 8200 section of Michochan building...but only a 8 night stay.

The Palace was a very nice resort...as you said, the beach is better going south to the other resorts in the complex and there is great snorkeling in front of the palace restaurants. It was really cold the day we landed...so every day, the HUGE pools were empty. Only 2-3 polar bears braved them every day. I finally sucked it up and got in the last day. BRRR!! It's great you had such warm weather and be able to enjoy them!

The food was solid there...I remember eating coconut ice cream all week at lunch and I am not much of an ice cream person. I just wished they had a true outside beach grill at the palace...the buffets and grill all seemed to be the same thing to me. We often went to the tropical too for lunch since its open air. We had a pretty good bar crawl going to the different bars on the 5 resorts...
stevesul is offline   Reply With Quote
register to remove these adverts
Old 03-07-2012   #77 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 51,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesul View Post
Great report and pictures! It brought back some memories..

We went to Barcelo Palace in mid Feb 2010...through Orbitz...with USA Transfers...in the 8200 section of Michochan building...but only a 8 night stay.

The Palace was a very nice resort...as you said, the beach is better going south to the other resorts in the complex and there is great snorkeling in front of the palace restaurants. It was really cold the day we landed...so every day, the HUGE pools were empty. Only 2-3 polar bears braved them every day. I finally sucked it up and got in the last day. BRRR!! It's great you had such warm weather and be able to enjoy them!

The food was solid there...I remember eating coconut ice cream all week at lunch and I am not much of an ice cream person. I just wished they had a true outside beach grill at the palace...the buffets and grill all seemed to be the same thing to me. We often went to the tropical too for lunch since its open air. We had a pretty good bar crawl going to the different bars on the 5 resorts...

That is so funny you said that! That was our main wish too....they could have used a beach grill building right on the Palace beach, with more bathrooms! Somewhere you go grab a burger or something in your bathing suit.

We loved bar hopping in the evenings too....I read loads of complaints on TA about how far apart everything is, but we didn't think it was bad at all. About a 10 minute walk to the Colonial/Tropical lobby bar, another 5 minutes or so to the Beach/Caribe....pfffftht, that is nothing! Who doesn't need some exercise with all that eating and drinking?!?

I was in heaven when I discovered the Coral Grill had Negra Modelo on tap, too.


We were happy too about the pool temps, and the weather in general- we really lucked out!
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #78 (permalink)
sandbagger vidiot
 
James A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Bell Buckle, TN
Posts: 3,107
Right on! Loved it...
James A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #79 (permalink)
way into it
 
stevesul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western NY
Posts: 209
Exactly...the grill was basically a third buffet...you have to dry off, my wife put a coverup on, etc. I just want a burger or shrimp tacos for lunch...I don't need a steak grilled in front of me. I guess some people do... probably the same people with a pound of bacon on their plate every morning. haha

Yeah the walking wasn't bad and the grounds are really nice...people just like to complain on TA. I definitely needed the walking with the eating options. We walked down the beach to the hurricane damaged resort south of there until that resorts guard stopped us. Also went to a ruin just north of the restaurants...but I think they put up no trespassing signs now. Lots of things to do there for families or larger groups...and still 20 minutes from playa to go in a few evenings.

The shows were pretty bad...but what are you going to do. We just played cards at one of the bars.

The other thing I wished they has was a real beach bar...the coco bar would get very crowded from people getting drinks from the pool and beach. There was no beach service. I had to give the kids plenty of $ for tips so the bartenders would serve them in a decent time.
stevesul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #80 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
Thanks, Lindalou!






I don't blame you, beautiful resort....have a great time.

I think we may have screwed up making our first stay there at the Palace....it would be difficult to go 'back down' to a different section now!
thank you ...we always do.....
defleppardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #81 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 51,996
Glad you liked it, James.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesul View Post
Exactly...the grill was basically a third buffet...you have to dry off, my wife put a coverup on, etc. I just want a burger or shrimp tacos for lunch...I don't need a steak grilled in front of me. I guess some people do... probably the same people with a pound of bacon on their plate every morning. haha

Yeah the walking wasn't bad and the grounds are really nice...people just like to complain on TA. I definitely needed the walking with the eating options. We walked down the beach to the hurricane damaged resort south of there until that resorts guard stopped us. Also went to a ruin just north of the restaurants...but I think they put up no trespassing signs now. Lots of things to do there for families or larger groups...and still 20 minutes from playa to go in a few evenings.

The shows were pretty bad...but what are you going to do. We just played cards at one of the bars.

The other thing I wished they has was a real beach bar...the coco bar would get very crowded from people getting drinks from the pool and beach. There was no beach service. I had to give the kids plenty of $ for tips so the bartenders would serve them in a decent time.

yes, I agree- a beach bar/snack grill with bathrooms would be much appreciated. Then they could not have one half of the buffet open, even, or at least the Coral Grill one could close for lunch.

I suppose the reason is trucking the food back and forth from the kitchens would be a lot of work, and sanitation reasons too.

and yes, those Coco bar bartenders were totally run off their feet!

The guys went fishing to the lagoon by Puerto Aventuras once or twice and I walked halfway there once with my friend -lots of garbage collects in there, sad. We also walked down down to the hurricane damaged resort (that looks like it must have been nice at one time! Bali-ish . I guess those types don't withstand hurricanes too well.) and were turned back by the scruffy looking 'guard' too.

Also we went to see the cenote on the grounds....disaPPOINted! tiny little scummy pond- and those silly fish would not give me a pedicure!!

We really should have gone to see Cenote Azul, we could have walked there fairly easily....but we had seen it and no one else wanted to go.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #82 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Mr Cancun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Far North Dallas
Posts: 3,394
Send a message via AIM to Mr Cancun Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Cancun
Another wonderful trip report, we stayed there once before, brings back great memories !!
Mr Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #83 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 51,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cancun View Post
Another wonderful trip report, we stayed there once before, brings back great memories !!
Good!

And where is YOUR report?
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #84 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Marj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Winnipeg MB Canada
Posts: 881
Well I can see now why we didn't get to meet you Maggie. That was quite a large group you were traveling with. I was at Wa Wa the night you were suppose to meet Kim and we were wondering where you had gotten to. Glad you had a great time and thanks for sharing
Marj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #85 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 51,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj View Post
Well I can see now why we didn't get to meet you Maggie. That was quite a large group you were traveling with. I was at Wa Wa the night you were suppose to meet Kim and we were wondering where you had gotten to. Glad you had a great time and thanks for sharing
Yes, logistically it was a bit tricky with that large of a group....and that was the night I first got my cold too, so I wasn't eager to go anywhere.

But I sure am sorry about that!

I have to on FB and check out your pics!
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #86 (permalink)
life=playa
 
mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: White Rock, B.C.
Posts: 559
Great trip report Rissask thanks so much for sharing
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #87 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 51,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
Great trip report Rissask thanks so much for sharing

don't be embarrassed ...you're welcome!
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #88 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Dan in Ct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenwich, Ct
Posts: 542
Thanks for the lobby pics of the works of David Vilasenor. I really want

One of his large works for my foyer. Great reort as usual.
Dan in Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #89 (permalink)
life=playa
 
cazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SE Minnesota
Posts: 769
Hey Maggie,
I just found this today. Great trip report . Bummer that Don's fishing trip wasn't better. One of these times I need to try fishing there, but like you said, it isn't the best time of the year for fishing.
Tim
cazador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #90 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 51,996
Thanks for reading, Dan and Tim.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cazador View Post
Hey Maggie,
I just found this today. Great trip report . Bummer that Don's fishing trip wasn't better. One of these times I need to try fishing there, but like you said, it isn't the best time of the year for fishing.
Tim

Yeah, the fishing is certainly not a draw in this area.

Now- for truly great fishing in Mexico- you really should go to Zihuatanejo!

or if you are interested, Don is heading to Puerto Vallarta to go on a fishing trip in November with a buddy. They are staying Punta de Mita. You could join them.



I am such a good wife.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.