Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012   #1 (permalink)
añejo
 
mrsr05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: lawn guyland
Posts: 1,893
Happy fathers day!

to all the dads on here, happy day!!

hope you are all surrounded by your loved ones and the day is full of blessings!!
mrsr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #2 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsr05 View Post
to all the dads on here, happy day!!

hope you are all surrounded by your loved ones and the day is full of blessings!!
I just got up to feed the dogs and make coffee. My standard daily start. Colleen is making coffee and has fed the dogs. So I came back to bed.
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #3 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 77,923
I slept in until 8:00

Coffee was made and I had some with Kathy out on the front porch.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #4 (permalink)
añejo
 
Skiptown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where the Columbia and Snake Meet
Posts: 5,480
Dad is a pretty tough title to live up to.
Provider, teacher, defender, medic, mr fix it, Instructor (tricycle, bicycle, car), All knowing guru( without the crystal ball), setter of standards for who they choose as a mate (wether you realize that or not it is true), shoulder to cry on, heart mender, in their eyes you can leap tall buildings, and they probably know you would give your life for them. And just because they grow up the Dad thing never ends.
And when all is said and done, all you really want for them is to be happy in life.

Proud to be called Dad.
Skiptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #5 (permalink)
reposado
 
Friday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiptown View Post
Dad is a pretty tough title to live up to.
Provider, teacher, defender, medic, mr fix it, Instructor (tricycle, bicycle, car), All knowing guru( without the crystal ball), setter of standards for who they choose as a mate (wether you realize that or not it is true), shoulder to cry on, heart mender, in their eyes you can leap tall buildings, and they probably know you would give your life for them. And just because they grow up the Dad thing never ends.
And when all is said and done, all you really want for them is to be happy in life.

Proud to be called Dad.



You nailed it.

This 50 year old is SO thankful to still have my dad. I'm blessed.

I spoiled my husband this morning even though we're not parents. Just another great day to celebrate him.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #6 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,099
My dad has been gone a long time. He was a good dad. He was a mean old cuss. Military man, up at 5:00am so he felt like we should be too.


I don't have to miss him. All I have to do is look in a mirror, or hear my own voice scolding someone. Then I know he is right there with me. As hard as I tried not to be, I AM my father's son. Sometimes that's a bad thing for my kids.
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #7 (permalink)
añejo
 
SharonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,770
Sad day for me, my father died on June 15 and visitation was on Fathers Day, 6 years ago. My Mother wanted to hold visitation fom 2:00-4:00 (normally it's held after dinner in ths area) so others could have dinner with their fathers. I gained a new respect for her for making that decision. I miss him so much :-(
SharonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #8 (permalink)
añejo
 
eccentrictinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 3,432
The best Father's Day present ever!

My #2 daughter posted this on her Facebook page yesterday....

Quote:

"What would I do without my Daddy JD Strand? I wouldn't have stuff fixed. I wouldn't get goofy stuff from YouTube sent to me, I wouldn't have a personal shopper of garage sales, I wouldn't have someone who has "inventory" of everything in the world, I wouldn't know what a knight in shining armor looks like ..."
eccentrictinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #9 (permalink)
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: gone
Posts: 10,448
I skyped with my kid who is out in SF....we had a few cocktails and he was delighted to know that I spent his entire inheritance of two NY strip steaks for me and Mamma...

Going out to see the kids July 2....we will camp a few days up in Yosemite..
user 6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #10 (permalink)
añejo
 
melliedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 30,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrictinker View Post
The best Father's Day present ever!

My #2 daughter posted this on her Facebook page yesterday....
That is sweet, EC. This was my FB status:

Quote:
Happy Father's Day to all of the Dads out there. You are the bringer of gas cans, the BBQ kings, the fixer of broken lawn mowers. We love you even when you wear socks with sandals and hog the remote watching golf. To Dads, with us and gone, the daughters of the world salute you. Can I borrow 50 bucks?
melliedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #11 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by melliedee View Post
That is sweet, EC. This was my FB status:
I love both of your statuses!!!
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #12 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,903
I decided to blog about my dad on this Father's Day.

He hasn't read this yet, but hopefully he feels honored when he does.

Professor Boz: Thanks, Dad
January Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #13 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 77,923
I was a father.

The past tense seems mostly appropriate these days.

I have a father. He died.

I wonder, if there is something of the spirit-world, if Zach ever says "I have a father. He is alive."

I don't really believe it, but the thought crosses through the neurons that make up my brain
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #14 (permalink)
añejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 22,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
I was a father.

The past tense seems mostly appropriate these days.

I have a father. He died.

I wonder, if there is something of the spirit-world, if Zach ever says "I have a father. He is alive."

I don't really believe it, but the thought crosses through the neurons that make up my brain
You will always be Zachs Dad, in this world and in the next !

Happy Fathers Day Weekend to all the Dads.

I miss mine every single day. Time makes it easier and I smile at all the times we had together.

My hubby is a wonderful father and my brothers as well...so I still celebrate this weekend in honor of them and good Dads everywhere.
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #15 (permalink)
añejo
 
SharonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAPPY View Post
You will always be Zachs Dad, in this world and in the next !

Happy Fathers Day Weekend to all the Dads.

I miss mine every single day. Time makes it easier and I smile at all the times we had together.

My hubby is a wonderful father and my brothers as well...so I still celebrate this weekend in honor of them and good Dads everywhere.

This is the saddest of holidays for me and I see that many share the same sense grief on this day. For some, like Roni, it's the worst kind of grief, the loss of a child and he grieves the loss of being a father in the traditional sense of defining it. Tappy is correct, you will always be his Dad!

My father died 7 years ago today at 3:00 p.m. It hit me like a ton of bricks at work today as I was talking with, and hopefully comforting, a client who had just put his beloved cat to sleep.
SharonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.