Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012   #76 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Emily83g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsr05 View Post
totally read my mind!!!
Hahaha... What am I missing? I know nothing. Is there something wrong with that tequila?
Emily83g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #77 (permalink)
reposado
 
VermiciousKnid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily83g View Post
Hahaha... What am I missing? I know nothing. Is there something wrong with that tequila?
yes, yes there is
VermiciousKnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #78 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Emily83g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsr05 View Post
totally read my mind!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermiciousKnid View Post
yes, yes there is

You guys need to teach me the laws of land!!
Emily83g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #79 (permalink)
Sue
aņejo
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 18,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily83g View Post
Hahaha... What am I missing? I know nothing. Is there something wrong with that tequila?
It's a mixto, and therefore not worth a tryo.
Sue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #80 (permalink)
Sue
aņejo
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 18,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily83g View Post
Well then I was totally jipped at Wah Wah! I had this funny feeling that I thought it was free and he kept saying the tables were free but the chairs weren't! Boooooo!

And the tequila... I have no clue about tequila.. I ended up giving the bottle to a friend.
Were you actually charged for the chairs, when you paid your bill? Was the price of the chairs included on your bill? Or did you pay cash to someone? If you did, to whom?
Sue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #81 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily83g View Post
You guys need to teach me the laws of land!!
From the "read more" section (there is a lot of good info on this site )

Playa del Carmen - Tequila


The four classifications of tequila are as follows:

Joven (young) - Tequila which is almost always a mixto, and to which colorings and flavorings may be added. This is often called gold tequila. This is the stuff you drank in college. That's what the resort gave you.

Blanco - Also referred to as plata, silver, clear, or white tequila. This is tequila bottled after double distillation with only a brief resting period, but no aging, and typically no exposure to wood (i.e. stored in plastic or steel containers). Blanco can be excellent tequila, or it can taste like paint thinner. A blanco can be 100% blue agave.

Reposado - Tequila placed in pine or white oak barrels for at least two months and no more than one year before bottling. It is normally a light straw color. Our favorite - affordable and quite tasty - Gran Centenario Reposado.

Aņejo - Tequila aged in wooden barrels for at least a year before bottling. Usually darker than reposado and often lighter than Joven Abocado. I wouldn't turn down one of these

Now that you have the background and the basics covered, you are ready to hit 5th Avenue and try some drinks.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #82 (permalink)
reposado
 
Peach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Augusta, Ga
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Were you actually charged for the chairs, when you paid your bill? Was the price of the chairs included on your bill? Or did you pay cash to someone? If you did, to whom?
Sounds like "Mosquito" might have some 'splainin' to do
Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #83 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Emily83g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Were you actually charged for the chairs, when you paid your bill? Was the price of the chairs included on your bill? Or did you pay cash to someone? If you did, to whom?
I never paid cash, we put it on our card. I honestly can't even remember if it was on the bill or not. But I do remember he kept insisting that the chairs were $10 and the table were free. I said, Even if we order food? He said.. You can sit at the tables for free and order your food but the chairs would still be another $10. I honestly wasn't going to fight him on it cause it sounded true. I couldn't remember which chairs on the beach were free.
Emily83g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #84 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Emily83g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
Sounds like "Mosquito" might have some 'splainin' to do
Uh oh.. i didn't mean for anyone to get in trouble.
He gave us good service though and took care of us very well...
Emily83g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #85 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Emily83g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
From the "read more" section (there is a lot of good info on this site )

Playa del Carmen - Tequila


The four classifications of tequila are as follows:

Joven (young) - Tequila which is almost always a mixto, and to which colorings and flavorings may be added. This is often called gold tequila. This is the stuff you drank in college. That's what the resort gave you.

Blanco - Also referred to as plata, silver, clear, or white tequila. This is tequila bottled after double distillation with only a brief resting period, but no aging, and typically no exposure to wood (i.e. stored in plastic or steel containers). Blanco can be excellent tequila, or it can taste like paint thinner. A blanco can be 100% blue agave.

Reposado - Tequila placed in pine or white oak barrels for at least two months and no more than one year before bottling. It is normally a light straw color. Our favorite - affordable and quite tasty - Gran Centenario Reposado.

Aņejo - Tequila aged in wooden barrels for at least a year before bottling. Usually darker than reposado and often lighter than Joven Abocado. I wouldn't turn down one of these

Now that you have the background and the basics covered, you are ready to hit 5th Avenue and try some drinks.
THANK YOU!! Well now I know.. I'm beyond terrified of tequila.
I've had a few bad experiences with it.. so now every time I think of drinking tequila.. my stomach churns..

The bad experiences were my fault by the way.. mixing liquor is not smart.. drinking 101.
Emily83g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #86 (permalink)
aņejo
 
canadiense loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer,Alberta,Canada
Posts: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily83g View Post
THANK YOU!! Well now I know.. I'm beyond terrified of tequila.
I've had a few bad experiences with it.. so now every time I think of drinking tequila.. my stomach churns..

The bad experiences were my fault by the way.. mixing liquor is not smart.. drinking 101.
Reminds me of this video:


Jim Breuer - Alcohol - YouTube
canadiense loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #87 (permalink)
aņejo
 
mrsr05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: lawn guyland
Posts: 1,893
emily, i think most of the time that people get sick from drinking tequila its because they are drinking the mixtos like jose cuervo... the sugars added give you a wicked sugar hangover the next day...

typically better tequilas equal less hangovers...unless of course, like you mentioned, your mixing alcohols... ughh.. no bueno mamita
mrsr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #88 (permalink)
life=playa
 
PassionateFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily83g View Post
THANK YOU!! Well now I know.. I'm beyond terrified of tequila.
I've had a few bad experiences with it.. so now every time I think of drinking tequila.. my stomach churns..

The bad experiences were my fault by the way.. mixing liquor is not smart.. drinking 101.
I was beyond terrified of tequila as well until I was 'forced' to have a shot at Bad Boys. I told the waiter (Bally I believe) that I could not do tequila but he would not take no for an answer and came back with what he claimed was their best. No salt, no limes NO PROBLEM
PassionateFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #89 (permalink)
Sol
aņejo
 
Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Gem State
Posts: 16,292
Great trip report and pictures! I cannot wait to read the rest of your TR.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #90 (permalink)
reposado
 
VermiciousKnid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,044
I too was terrified of tequila, probably from bad Cuervo. Before my trip I was determined to learn to like it. I started with blanco because I tend to not prefer oaky aged liquors. I was surprised at how much I liked it. It wasn't until I was in Playa that I moved on to reposado...and I liked that too. Just started trying out some anejos and am really enjoying what Ive tried so far. Of course I still like my salt and lime, but I can do it without if I have to!
VermiciousKnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.