Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: US and Canada
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012   #1 (permalink)
añejo
 
BonnyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Left Coast...So Cal
Posts: 13,407
The Dubs Go North....

We are on our way to the PNW Peepmeet....We left yesterday...of course "things" happened before we left which includes catsitters, envelopes, no checks and sprinklers...

However, before stopping at the first place to camp...we HAD to try our favorite fishing spot.
BonnyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #2 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,234
See you Thursday!
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #3 (permalink)
añejo
 
MikeW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moorpark, CA
Posts: 14,083
Technology. Sitting in the back of the 'Burb in a parking lot in Bishop, while Bonny goes into Vons to get Ice, lettuce and a toothbrush; 4g with my MacAir.

Things to start the trip:
I was extra anal this trip and wrote an itinerary with emergency numbers. Put it in an envelope addressed to staff at Michael's (our disabled son) assisted living program. The plan was to bring it with me to softball and bowling practice Saturday AM before we left to give to him. Of course I left it at home. So went home got it returned and gave it to him. 30 minutes behind schedule.

Got back home, problem with lawn sprinkers they won't turn off, broken valve. That will be expensive. Off to the screw it up all by myself store and bought valve and fittings. Got home, no PVC cement. Send Bonny off to get cement, while I cut off the old. She returns and we finish.

Finally finish loading and off we go. 1.5 hours behind schedule, but still earlier than previous years.

Hit the road.

After 1 mile, did we bring our check book? Stop a few miles down the road, top off the gas tank and I find mine, so we are good.

Hit the road again.

Did you know, when you climb 4,000 feet in 100 miles at 65MPH with the A/C on in your 3/4 ton 8.1L Suburban towing a trailer you only get 6.4 MPG? We found out.
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #4 (permalink)
añejo
 
Andiline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 10,034
Send a message via Skype™ to Andiline
I will live through you for the days to come.... pls. keep it coming!
Andiline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #5 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
Technology. Sitting in the back of the 'Burb in a parking lot in Bishop, while Bonny goes into Vons to get Ice, lettuce and a toothbrush; 4g with my MacAir.

Things to start the trip:
I was extra anal this trip and wrote an itinerary with emergency numbers. Put it in an envelope addressed to staff at Michael's (our disabled son) assisted living program. The plan was to bring it with me to softball and bowling practice Saturday AM before we left to give to him. Of course I left it at home. So went home got it returned and gave it to him. 30 minutes behind schedule.

Got back home, problem with lawn sprinkers they won't turn off, broken valve. That will be expensive. Off to the screw it up all by myself store and bought valve and fittings. Got home, no PVC cement. Send Bonny off to get cement, while I cut off the old. She returns and we finish.

Finally finish loading and off we go. 1.5 hours behind schedule, but still earlier than previous years.

Hit the road.

After 1 mile, did we bring our check book? Stop a few miles down the road, top off the gas tank and I find mine, so we are good.

Hit the road again.

Did you know, when you climb 4,000 feet in 100 miles at 65MPH with the A/C on in your 3/4 ton 8.1L Suburban towing a trailer you only get 6.4 MPG? We found out.
This has the beginings of a really good story.
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #6 (permalink)
añejo
 
BonnyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Left Coast...So Cal
Posts: 13,407
Just got cell phone coverage...woke up yesterday walked down to the stream. Mike played the part of a black lab and scared the fish upstream and under a wild rose bush. We pulled up. a couple of very large rainbows...
BonnyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #7 (permalink)
añejo
 
BonnyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Left Coast...So Cal
Posts: 13,407
We stayed the night at Trumble Lake...Mike has pictures, but can't load them...he is driving right now. We just crossed the border into Nevada...gas is a dollar less than California..%

Last edited by BonnyW; 07-31-2012 at 06:09 PM..
BonnyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #8 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnyW View Post
We stayed the night at Virginia Lake...Mike has pictures, but can't load them...he is driving right now. We just crossed the border into Nevada...gas is a dollar less than California..%
Fuel up as much as you can before you hit Oregon!!!! We have some of the highest prices in the country.
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #9 (permalink)
añejo
 
BonnyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Left Coast...So Cal
Posts: 13,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
Fuel up as much as you can before you hit Oregon!!!! We have some of the highest prices in the country.
Okay, thanks ...We just crossed the border back into California. Gas was fifty cents higher in this area...
BonnyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #10 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnyW View Post
Okay, thanks ...We just crossed the border back into California. Gas was fifty cents higher in this area...
I am paying $3.57 a gallon now
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #11 (permalink)
añejo
 
Mogley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,619
So far this trip report reads that you are traveling East and West between California and Nevada at 6 MPG trying to find gas cheap enough to head north...does that sum it up?
Mogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #12 (permalink)
añejo
 
MikeW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moorpark, CA
Posts: 14,083
Lone Pine Creek


Fish from Lone Pine Creek


Fish from Tuttle Creek


On the road towards Bishop


Climbing Sherwin Grade outside of Bishop

Last edited by MikeW; 08-03-2012 at 12:56 AM..
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #13 (permalink)
añejo
 
MikeW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moorpark, CA
Posts: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogley View Post
So far this trip report reads that you are traveling East and West between California and Nevada at 6 MPG trying to find gas cheap enough to head north...does that sum it up?
10MPG from Mojave to Bishop
6.11 from Bishop to Lee Vining
9.6 from Lee Vining to Reno
Leaving Susanville now, next fill up ???
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #14 (permalink)
añejo
 
MikeW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moorpark, CA
Posts: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
I am paying $3.57 a gallon now
That is less than where we live or Reno
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #15 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 7,956
Oh wow, what an adventure! I need a drink now!!
Have a safe trip you two. Can't wait to see you again!!
LucyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.