Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: All-Inclusive Resorts in the Riviera Maya

Reply

 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012   #1 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Exclamation Paradisus La Perla - Money stolen from room safe

Hey! I recently came back from Paradisus La Perla and have learned a really valuable lesson while there. I stayed in a room with my husband and we have been victims of a theft. We have been storing all our valuables in the room safe including $800 which I have left in my wallet to bring back to NY with me. For our entire trip I have not touched my wallet, because my husband had money that we were spending on tips. We did not leave the hotel throughout our entire trip. We had $100 in singles which we brought with us and used for tips. On the day of our departure I went into my wallet to count the money and I was missing $340

When we reported the incident to the hotel, they acted disinterested and basically told us that we were out of luck! I mean yea, obviously we were out of luck, but we were also out of $340.

Just wanted to share this with those who are thinking of going there. Do not trust them with your belongings, even if you think they are locked up and secure in the safe. The safes are bogus and the staff knows how to get into them. So be aware!
Jetset76 is offline   Reply With Quote
register to remove these adverts
Old 12-30-2012   #2 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 24,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetset76 View Post
Hey! I recently came back from Paradisus La Perla and have learned a really valuable lesson while there. I stayed in a room with my husband and we have been victims of a theft. We have been storing all our valuables in the room safe including $800 which I have left in my wallet to bring back to NY with me. For our entire trip I have not touched my wallet, because my husband had money that we were spending on tips. We did not leave the hotel throughout our entire trip. We had $100 in singles which we brought with us and used for tips. On the day of our departure I went into my wallet to count the money and I was missing $340

When we reported the incident to the hotel, they acted disinterested and basically told us that we were out of luck! I mean yea, obviously we were out of luck, but we were also out of $340.

Just wanted to share this with those who are thinking of going there. Do not trust them with your belongings, even if you think they are locked up and secure in the safe. The safes are bogus and the staff knows how to get into them. So be aware!
As long as they were going to the trouble, I wonder why they didn't take it all.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #3 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
As long as they were going to the trouble, I wonder why they didn't take it all.
not sure (shrug)
Jetset76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #4 (permalink)
Travel Insurance Tester

 
Shammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Joisey Shore
Posts: 18,204
Just had clients come back from that hotel in mid December. They loved every minute of their vacation and didn't have a single bad word to say about the hotel, service, staff, etc.

Have to admit, I did read your numerous reports about this over on Trip Advisor. I now see that almost all of your posts have been removed but this quote remained, apparently posted by your husband(?)....

"Just to let everyone know our money was stolen from the safe of our room at paradisus la perla on 12.20.2012. A hotel representative just phoned us this morning and told us they found the theif who stole $340 from our room safe. They offered to compensate us, as long as we do not make any more publicity on this incident. We refused the bribe! "

So did they call you or not?

Shammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #5 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Medford, Oregon
Posts: 10
Re: Jetset76

Bogus Allegation.

Last edited by jcfinc; 12-31-2012 at 02:26 PM..
jcfinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #6 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Y2YTraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
Have to admit, I did read your numerous reports about this over on Trip Advisor. I now see that almost all of your posts have been removed but this quote remained, apparently posted by your husband(?)....

"Just to let everyone know our money was stolen from the safe of our room at paradisus la perla on 12.20.2012. A hotel representative just phoned us this morning and told us they found the theif who stole $340 from our room safe. They offered to compensate us, as long as we do not make any more publicity on this incident. We refused the bribe! "

So did they call you or not?

One of the most entertaining threads on the TA forum in years.....too bad it had to be removed
Y2YTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #7 (permalink)
Travel Insurance Tester

 
Shammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Joisey Shore
Posts: 18,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2YTraveller View Post
One of the most entertaining threads on the TA forum in years.....too bad it had to be removed
Right! Some crazy stuff there!
Shammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #8 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Y2YTraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
Right! Some crazy stuff there!
Almost had to wonder if it was part of some elaborate psych experiment!
Y2YTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #9 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Glencoe IL.
Posts: 302
You guys are talking "Greek": Was/Is she a flamer against the hotel? Did not read TA
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #10 (permalink)
Travel Insurance Tester

 
Shammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Joisey Shore
Posts: 18,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
You guys are talking "Greek": Was/Is she a flamer against the hotel? Did not read TA
I was not involved but that's what has been suggested. Her posts as well as the hotel review have been removed.
Shammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #11 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Y2YTraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
You guys are talking "Greek": Was/Is she a flamer against the hotel? Did not read TA
Her story began with a few inconsistencies, and when questioned on them, her responses became increasingly outlandish and bizarre.
Y2YTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #12 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Medford, Oregon
Posts: 10
Re: JetSet76

The poster JetSet76 is attempting to get the hotel to pay her to stop posting, she bragged on Trip Advisor that there were over 300 google entries of the alleged theft.

The poster originally wrote a review on TA claiming that the hotel refused to let her use a $100 spa credit given to her by her travel provider. Thus the hotel was rated poor.

She then attempted (her own words) to submit 4 more reviews that were all declined (Same IP Address) by trip advisor.

Then started the posting campaign on TA, multiple threads all slightly different, all basically claiming that she left the hotel without a word about any money missing from the safe.

She said originally that her husband did not carry cash and that she was in charge of the finances. Her husband did not know the safe password and could not access the safe. (Really?)

She called the hotel once at home claiming $340.00 was missing from her wallet and that it could have possible gone missing from the safe. (Confirmed truth)

The hotel manager launched an investigation into room 1144, pulled the server records for the safe. This is a new hotel and all safes are tied into a computer server. The manager determined that the safe was only opened by her uniquie password and at times when there was no one other than this customer and/or her husband in the room. (Keycards)

The hotel advised the customer of this fact, case closed and the name smear began.

At one point a new poster was created by the Jetset76, that claimed to be the husband and he made the claim that the hotel had caught the thief and that the hotel was offering to pay it back to them on the condition that they stop posting.

The hotel confirmed to a TA Memeber that no such agreement had been made and no theft had occured, in their honest belief.

Once that was discovered the poster came back using multiple fake names and continued to post slams again the hotel, all have been removed by TA.

Last edited by jcfinc; 01-01-2013 at 12:58 PM..
jcfinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #13 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Glencoe IL.
Posts: 302
Thank You all for the full details!!! It sounds like what a flamer would do; however, I guess they actually stayed there. Sounds like they were trying to get a handout; maybe, they were worried about going over the Fiscal Cliff?
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #14 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
The review about the $100 resort credit was not from me. Our hotel was booked thru Expedia and we did not have any kind of resort credit. That review that you are referring to is regarding a bookit.com reservation, and I had no relation to it.

My story was posted for informational purposes, I am not here to defend myself against posters who are trying deliberately to shut me down for some personal dislike.
Jetset76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #15 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 24,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetset76 View Post
The review about the $100 resort credit was not from me. Our hotel was booked thru Expedia and we did not have any kind of resort credit. That review that you are referring to is regarding a bookit.com reservation, and I had no relation to it.

My story was posted for informational purposes, I am not here to defend myself against posters who are trying deliberately to shut me down for some personal dislike.
So, your reviews were not removed frm TA?
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.