Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013   #61 (permalink)
reposado
 
sonofdob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: in the wind...
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmagicat View Post
Free at WahWah and the beach was nice when I was there November... Thats my hang out during the day... But I can see you guys at Yan and Ten....
ya...they're free at Wah Wah and it seems the word is out...it is pretty tough to get a chair there...when we stopped by last week it seemed that most people in those chairs were not buying any drinks either......sonofdob

Last edited by sonofdob; 02-20-2013 at 01:03 AM..
sonofdob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #62 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Maddison1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmagicat View Post
You are the one who let the cat out of the bag ! I was just giving direction to a fellow traveler........
Shhh...I know nothing.
March 16-23 staying in an undisclosed location....
Maddison1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #63 (permalink)
back again, again
 
kirbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmagicat View Post
Free at WahWah and the beach was nice when I was there November... Thats my hang out during the day... But I can see you guys at Yan and Ten....
Well we are staying right between the two places and free sounds good to me! We will definitely head over to Wah Wah and see how we like it...I know I love their pizza and nightly entertainment!
kirbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #64 (permalink)
life=playa
 
redmagicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 554
The secret is to get there early...
redmagicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #65 (permalink)
reposado
 
sonofdob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: in the wind...
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddison1002 View Post
Shhh...I know nothing.
March 16-23 staying in an undisclosed location....
atta girl......do you know what room your in......sonofdob
sonofdob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #66 (permalink)
reposado
 
sonofdob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: in the wind...
Posts: 1,416
What a day…started out very nicely. The sun was out and it was hot. We thought we might hit the bank and grab a coffee and some breakfast. Well at the bank my card worked but Mick’s would not. Oh well…that has happened before and no problem…we’ll just go to another bank. Head off to Starbucks…Mick’s choice…not mine…as I am not a fan of Starbucks. Grab a coffee with all the usual challenges of getting a coffee at Starbucks and decide to forego breakfast out and just cook up something back at the apartment.

Head out after a bit to Yan and Ten but it is starting to cloud over and as soon as we get to Yan and Ten it is starting to rain. Oh well back to the apartment…at least we had a nice beach stroll. After a bit it starts clearing and we think we might as well make a Mega run to hit a bank machine and restock on beer, wine and rum.

All goes well and we make our way back home…going to have a shower…a drink…and on to dinner at El Fogon and then onto the Luna Blue. This is where it all goes sideways. Mick wants to do some on line banking and checks the safe but her bank card is not there…she asks me where her card is…I said I thought she had it…she thinks I have it. I was the last to have it when we were at Mega. I rush back there to see if a card has been turned in. No luck. We go to online customer service chat with the Royal Bank back in Canada and verify our use of the card earlier and get the card cancelled. Mick will get a new one when get back home. The whole thing was a little more frustrating than that and a little more challenging than that…but…it’s all OK now.

Now that is all taken care of we are several hours off schedule. We make our way to El Fogon for some late dinner. We each get a margarita…I get the Arrachera Especial and Mick gets the Alambra Vegetariano. Margaritas are good and the Arrachera is superb…Mick’s Alambra is a grilled mix of veggies and pineapple served with tortillas. All in $270 pesos.



















We take a stroll along 5th ave to Luna Blue and meet up with Rick, Sue and Sher…caught the last set of Brent Parkin…had a cerveza (me)…and a vino blanco (Mick)…



That was about it…sorry for the lack of photos…was a bit off kilter today. More peeps arriving tomorrow and the action should pick up considerably…sonofdob
__________________
1 St Patrick's Day...364 practice days !







...until Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morelos.

" soccer players pretend they're injured...hockey players pretend they're not "
sonofdob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #67 (permalink)
way into it
 
BellaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 153
Love the"live" trip report. Doesn't seem like the weather has been to good. We'll be there next Thursday...Wha-Hoo.
BellaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #68 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nebraska - Go Cornhuskers!
Posts: 1,073
Love the trip report as you go! Thanks for taking the time to post!
lindalou61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #69 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
You have become my morning read with my cup of tea in hand and the snow outside my window. Kinda like morning meditation, dreaming of playa. While reading this am (picture the sound of a record screeching to a halt in my head), after the bank card fiasco you were "a few hours off schedule"!!! You don't have a schedule dear brother. Remember "on Mexican time" ! Love the reports.





Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofdob View Post
What a day…started out very nicely. The sun was out and it was hot. We thought we might hit the bank and grab a coffee and some breakfast. Well at the bank my card worked but Mick’s would not. Oh well…that has happened before and no problem…we’ll just go to another bank. Head off to Starbucks…Mick’s choice…not mine…as I am not a fan of Starbucks. Grab a coffee with all the usual challenges of getting a coffee at Starbucks and decide to forego breakfast out and just cook up something back at the apartment.

Head out after a bit to Yan and Ten but it is starting to cloud over and as soon as we get to Yan and Ten it is starting to rain. Oh well back to the apartment…at least we had a nice beach stroll. After a bit it starts clearing and we think we might as well make a Mega run to hit a bank machine and restock on beer, wine and rum.

All goes well and we make our way back home…going to have a shower…a drink…and on to dinner at El Fogon and then onto the Luna Blue. This is where it all goes sideways. Mick wants to do some on line banking and checks the safe but her bank card is not there…she asks me where her card is…I said I thought she had it…she thinks I have it. I was the last to have it when we were at Mega. I rush back there to see if a card has been turned in. No luck. We go to online customer service chat with the Royal Bank back in Canada and verify our use of the card earlier and get the card cancelled. Mick will get a new one when get back home. The whole thing was a little more frustrating than that and a little more challenging than that…but…it’s all OK now.

Now that is all taken care of we are several hours off schedule. We make our way to El Fogon for some late dinner. We each get a margarita…I get the Arrachera Especial and Mick gets the Alambra Vegetariano. Margaritas are good and the Arrachera is superb…Mick’s Alambra is a grilled mix of veggies and pineapple served with tortillas. All in $270 pesos.



















We take a stroll along 5th ave to Luna Blue and meet up with Rick, Sue and Sher…caught the last set of Brent Parkin…had a cerveza (me)…and a vino blanco (Mick)…



That was about it…sorry for the lack of photos…was a bit off kilter today. More peeps arriving tomorrow and the action should pick up considerably…sonofdob
TndT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #70 (permalink)
way into it
 
stevesul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western NY
Posts: 217
That's too bad about the ATM card but glad nothing came out of it except some calls to get it cancelled.

Not a fan of Starbucks coffee unless there are no other options. We liked Cafe Sasta a few doors down but they closed. Going to check out Java in the morning...soon!

I hope the weather clears up for you guys!
stevesul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #71 (permalink)
reposado
 
VermiciousKnid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofdob View Post
ya...they're free at Wah Wah and it seems the word is out...it is pretty tough to get a chair there...when we stopped by last week it seemed that most people in those chairs were not buying any drinks either......sonofdob
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmagicat View Post
The secret is to get there early...
What time should I get there to get a seat? I have no concept of what "early" is.
VermiciousKnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #72 (permalink)
life=playa
 
redmagicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermiciousKnid View Post
What time should I get there to get a seat? I have no concept of what "early" is.

I usually go eat around 8:30-9:00 AM on 5th and then on to WahWah, say 9:30-10:00 AM. Can usually get a good chair around then...
redmagicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013   #73 (permalink)
reposado
 
sonofdob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: in the wind...
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmagicat View Post
I usually go eat around 8:30-9:00 AM on 5th and then on to WahWah, say 9:30-10:00 AM. Can usually get a good chair around then...

at 09:30 or 10:00 you will have no issue in getting a chair......we were trying to get a chair at noon for the live music at 2 pm...c'est la vie......sonofdob
sonofdob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013   #74 (permalink)
reposado
 
sonofdob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: in the wind...
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaV View Post
Love the"live" trip report. Doesn't seem like the weather has been to good. We'll be there next Thursday...Wha-Hoo.
The weather has been OK but not stellar...until today......where ya staying at BellaV...sonofdob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalou61 View Post
Love the trip report as you go! Thanks for taking the time to post!
happy to help......sonofdob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TndT View Post
You have become my morning read with my cup of tea in hand and the snow outside my window. Kinda like morning meditation, dreaming of playa. While reading this am (picture the sound of a record screeching to a halt in my head), after the bank card fiasco you were "a few hours off schedule"!!! You don't have a schedule dear brother. Remember "on Mexican time" ! Love the reports.
Hey Soul Sister...you know me...there is no schedule...other than...sleep when you're tired...drink when your thirsty...eat when your hungry...we were several hours past hungry......sonofdob
sonofdob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013   #75 (permalink)
reposado
 
sonofdob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: in the wind...
Posts: 1,416
What a great day…where do I start ? The weather has turned… the wind is from the south and we are in a typical Caribbean February flow…warm on shore breezes…clear skies… warm temps.

We woke early to clear skies and decided to walk north on the beach. Went as far as Canibal Royal and the beach was very nice and not many people at all…

.

On the way back I spotted something out on the sea…it appeared to be an Ironman type character out on the sea with a jet pack. As we got closer it was indeed an Ironman type character with some type of jet pack. There was a jet ski that appeared to be running a PTO that was driving a water jet gizmo that this guy was strapped into…he had two water jets attached to a kind of ski boot set up for vertical thrust and two hand held units that appeared to control pitch and yaw and roll. He would rise vertically and then soar through the sky and then dive into the sea and the shoot up into the sky again. It was truly amazing and I am still in awe…












WOW !

Wandered back to the apartment for a dip in the pool…



There a few cats in the neighbourhood and while laying around the pool I thought I noticed one on the roof of an adjoining building…odd…cats are nocturnal…wait it’s not a cat…it’s a vulture eating a cat ( or some such animal )…parental guidance…not all images are suitable for all audiences…









We thought we might wander the beach south and headed off with Yan and Ten in mind.







Found a nice spot and ordered up some cervezas…asked for a menu but that was somewhat challenging…got some beers right away though…



ordered up some food…tostados camarones…quesadilla con queso…patatas fritas…



Ran into our good buddy Rob McKay…



Went home and chilled for a bit and who should appear…FaRuBas…yay !




Looks like it’s Las Brisas for dinner with FaRuBas and then a drink at Bar Ranita as a prep for the bar crawl. Las Brisas is as always…shrimp tacos for me and garlic shrimp for Mick…two glasses of wine and a very inexpensive $220 pesos…





On to Bar Ranita…always fun here and the music rocks…LB4Playa's and wolfpf joined in as well...















And finally…Umma Gumma…next best music after Bar Ranita…



Last edited by sonofdob; 02-21-2013 at 12:16 PM..
sonofdob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.