Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > Introductions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013   #61 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central IL
Posts: 530
What did Barnum say...........?
prbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #62 (permalink)
into ruins
 
NoMoreAmerika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 61
So you guys are either giving me a hard time, in a friendly way..... or you are exactly the type of people I prefer to not be around.. Either way, I can't judge you until I meet you, have a few beers with you and shoot the shit for a while... Maybe you should consider the same..

I'm a cool guy, I know whats up and while I appreciate the positive input, I could care less for the non-creative criticism... I'll be there, doing my own thing, meeting cool people and meeting shitty people.. I never claimed that Playa was some magical dreamland where all my worries disappear.. However, I am passionate about my beliefs and my feelings and my reasons for wanting to get out of the US, although they obviously differ from the reasons of a few of you... Big deal..

I'll be the guy buying you a beer, whether I like you or not.. That's how I am.. In the the end, I could give a shit less your personal opinion of me - that's not what I'm here for, with all due respect....

So, anyways... If I don't conform to wishes, sorry.. Your problem, not mine.. I am moving there for me, not for you.. And while I don't take whatever crap you say too seriously, I can already tell within this thread that about 50% of you are complete D-bags, while another 50% seem like genuinely cool people.. I fall into the latter - I apologize if my abrupt honesty makes you uneasy...
NoMoreAmerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #63 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Nerak936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Shore of Baahhstun, Massachusetts
Posts: 23,349
Send a message via MSN to Nerak936
You'd buy beers for people you don't like? Why?
Nerak936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #64 (permalink)
into ruins
 
NoMoreAmerika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerak936 View Post
You'd buy beers for people you don't like? Why?
Because I'm a decent human being.. If you are with your friends at the bar and I meet you guys and buy a couple rounds, would it be fair to exclude one of you because I don't like you? Only dickheads do stuff like that..

Just because I don't like someone doesn't mean they don't deserve to have a good time too..
NoMoreAmerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #65 (permalink)
into ruins
 
NoMoreAmerika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureena5 View Post
This group may be of interest to you.

https://www.facebook.com/coworkingplaya

Buenas Suerte with your move!
Maureen
Thanks a lot, Maureen!!
NoMoreAmerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #66 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 17
Are you driving or flying? I am moving in Nov from Chicago, driving, need a safe route once I get to Mexico, by myself and a 85 pound German Shepard.
Thanx
sharkbait007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #67 (permalink)
into ruins
 
NoMoreAmerika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait007 View Post
Are you driving or flying? I am moving in Nov from Chicago, driving, need a safe route once I get to Mexico, by myself and a 85 pound German Shepard.
Thanx
I'm flying down.. I'd love to drive but can't be away from work for that long unfortunately.. Post a thread in the general section, I'm sure someone can provide a well used route for you.
NoMoreAmerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #68 (permalink)
ruined
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Playa Del Carmen
Posts: 81
Hi there Josh!
We moved here 2 weeks ago for virtually the same reasons! We are from Tulsa, Oklahoma and felt we also felt trapped by shitty jobs, shitty political vibes, etc. We also love the sea, warm weather and travel. I'm 29 and my husband is almost 30. A word of advice: bring what you can with you if you're on a budget... "things" are much more expensive here. Let us know if you need anything! We're still figuring things out too...
mistinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #69 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistinm View Post
Hi there Josh!
We moved here 2 weeks ago for virtually the same reasons! We are from Tulsa, Oklahoma and felt we also felt trapped by shitty jobs, shitty political vibes, etc. We also love the sea, warm weather and travel. I'm 29 and my husband is almost 30. A word of advice: bring what you can with you if you're on a budget... "things" are much more expensive here. Let us know if you need anything! We're still figuring things out too...
Out of curiosity, do you have a non-shitty job here and what's your opinion of the political vibe in Mexico? Not much better, huh?

Six years here and I'm still figuring things out
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #70 (permalink)
ruined
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Playa Del Carmen
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAmerika View Post
There is no way in hell that Mexico can be more annoying and horrible than waking up everyday to go to work in the USA.. Everyone may not agree, but that is the case for me.. I'm going to love it, just as you are and that's something I already know.. I love to learn, I love adventure and I enjoy new scenery and a challenge.. This will be a piece of cake and 100 times less stressful than life here in the US, I'm sure of it.. Again, I'm in a different situation than most, single, and have no obligations other than myself - so I should adjust just fine. It's good to hear that you enjoy it there, Thank you!
Dude, don't let these long time locals discourage you. Have you ever seen the movie "The Beach" ? I'm finding some expats to be helpful and inviting and others to be territorial of Playa. I had to get off this forum for awhile, just for this reason... the negativity to newbies was disheartening and it was beginning to dictate my experience... everyone's experience is different.
mistinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #71 (permalink)
ruined
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Playa Del Carmen
Posts: 81
I'm doing photography here now... which was only a part-time thing back home. I also have 2 etsy shops and make floorplans. As for politics, I like it because I can't understand what people would say about it anyway! haha. I just plan on totally ignoring the political situation and just enjoying life. It was harder at home because it was always in our face (it's really bad in Oklahoma).
mistinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #72 (permalink)
US Consular Agent PdC

 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 15,166
As I said earlier, you're in a good position to throw caution to the wind and try it. You've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain. Welcome, hope I see you around.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #73 (permalink)
into ruins
 
NoMoreAmerika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Out of curiosity, do you have a non-shitty job here and what's your opinion of the political vibe in Mexico? Not much better, huh?

Six years here and I'm still figuring things out
Sometimes all it takes is to remove yourself from where you were born to feel relief.. I personally hate politicians, and when their actions dictate my lifestyle and future, it's upsetting..

Moving to Mexico means I have a chance to care less about politics because it's not my native country.. I'll be able to be happier there because as a non-citizen, the political shit has little effect on me and therefore makes life less stressful.. I think this applies to many people who leave the states..
NoMoreAmerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #74 (permalink)
ruined
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Playa Del Carmen
Posts: 81
Exactly!
mistinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #75 (permalink)
into ruins
 
NoMoreAmerika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistinm View Post
I'm doing photography here now... which was only a part-time thing back home. I also have 2 etsy shops and make floorplans. As for politics, I like it because I can't understand what people would say about it anyway! haha. I just plan on totally ignoring the political situation and just enjoying life. It was harder at home because it was always in our face (it's really bad in Oklahoma).
Exactly!! Couldn't agree more..
NoMoreAmerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.