Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2017   #361 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Jan&Chas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,792
Send a message via AIM to Jan&Chas Send a message via Yahoo to Jan&Chas
A nice beach is a big deal to us coming from Wisconsin. We love beach walking and the beauty of the sand and ocean. Playa has changed enough for us to go back to Cancun even though we will always make a day trip back to 5th avenue!
Jan&Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017   #362 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan&Chas View Post
A nice beach is a big deal to us coming from Wisconsin. We love beach walking and the beauty of the sand and ocean. Playa has changed enough for us to go back to Cancun even though we will always make a day trip back to 5th avenue!
A great beach is fantastic. We usually spend 2 weeks between Thanksgiving and Xmas at a great beach.....Jamaica, DR, Anguilla,etc and then a month or two in PDC. PVR this year for a friends wedding...not a great beach.

PDC beaches can be great but it's hit and miss IMO. Spent about 45 days there last year and would only call 5 of them GREAT beach days. Many days walked the beach and went back to the hotel pool Same story for the year before.
loomis41973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017   #363 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Jan&Chas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,792
Send a message via AIM to Jan&Chas Send a message via Yahoo to Jan&Chas
Yes, I have heard that with beaches coming and going, never knowing each day. Not interested i that. Hopefully soon we can explore other destinations too! Retirement here we come
Jan&Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #364 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Jan&Chas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,792
Send a message via AIM to Jan&Chas Send a message via Yahoo to Jan&Chas
Quote:
Originally Posted by loomis41973 View Post
A great beach is fantastic. We usually spend 2 weeks between Thanksgiving and Xmas at a great beach.....Jamaica, DR, Anguilla,etc and then a month or two in PDC. PVR this year for a friends wedding...not a great beach.

PDC beaches can be great but it's hit and miss IMO. Spent about 45 days there last year and would only call 5 of them GREAT beach days. Many days walked the beach and went back to the hotel pool Same story for the year before.
So those 5 or so days of great beach days, was that because of the weather or because there wasn't much of a beach at all? We took a day trip last year to PDC from Royal Haciendas (worst beaches ever). The beaches were "very small" and very croweded. Looked like everyone was on top of each other. Seagrass at both places was unacceptable especially Royal Haciendas...
Jan&Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #365 (permalink)
ruined
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 91
My favorite beach area now is the area north of Royal Canibal, if you can make it past the sea wall and the big hotel there, the beach is pretty great all the way up to Punta Esmeralda. Of course always depends on the seaweed but that's somewhat out of anyone's control.
chebyrashka74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #366 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 225
In front of The Reef in Playacar yesterday. Nice waves, the sea ranged in color from aqua and turquoise to neon green. And zero sargassum!!!

Last edited by AZGonzo; 08-03-2017 at 07:04 PM..
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017   #367 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chebyrashka74 View Post
My favorite beach area now is the area north of Royal Canibal, if you can make it past the sea wall and the big hotel there, the beach is pretty great all the way up to Punta Esmeralda. Of course always depends on the seaweed but that's somewhat out of anyone's control.
We love the beach north of the Reef as well. If the tide is too high to walk around the seawall at Royal Canibal, you can walk up the street beside The Elements, walk through the Reef front entrance guard gates and there is a beach access lane to the left of the resort. You will come out on the beach right at the lifeguard stand that is near the Reef.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017   #368 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,382
Back with a shot from this morning after a very busy couple of weeks.

ryberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017   #369 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,559
Yes, the beach was clear of sargasso this morning and the water was as calm as could be. Just beautiful this morning.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017   #370 (permalink)
aņejo
 
jtm1631's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Denver, CO and loving it
Posts: 2,509
Hey Ryberg, don't you owe me a free breakfast or something on that beach? I still dream about those pancakes. They always reminded me of the pancakes my grandfather made on Sunday mornings at his house.

As if I needed more reasons to want to be back on that beach!
jtm1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #371 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 40 miles south east of Boston
Posts: 7,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm1631 View Post
Hey Ryberg, don't you owe me a free breakfast or something on that beach? I still dream about those pancakes. They always reminded me of the pancakes my grandfather made on Sunday mornings at his house.

As if I needed more reasons to want to be back on that beach!
I agree, the pancakes are very good, we brought our own real BUTTER down last year and will again. This year maple syrup too. Makes a great breakfast on the beach even better!!
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #372 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,382
Ha! Hope to catch you there this fall, jtm, and this December, Ranger.
ryberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017   #373 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,382
Sorry -- tweeted this shot out on Thursday but am in a mad scramble and travelling and didn't remember to post it here. So here ya go, 2 days late.

ryberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017   #374 (permalink)
aņejo
 
jtm1631's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Denver, CO and loving it
Posts: 2,509
looks at calendar....checks playa.info.....waits patiently for ryberg
jtm1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017   #375 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,382
Ha ha.

Torrential rain here this morning. Haven't even made it to the hotel, I'm afraid, and don't foresee a lot of photo ops today.
ryberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.