Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013   #46 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post

I see regarding what it purports to measure, Vietnam (strangely, and emotionally, enough) looks like the most likely potential dark horse 'winner' (on this graph) because of its relatively low religious 'burden' (it is, after all, officially an 'atheist' country in theory, if not in practice) and its relatively high offshore oil reserves (for which it will likely have to battle both China and the Philippines) - if it should win those battles, either diplomatically or otherwise (less likely vs China, more likely vs. The Philippines), it could move laterally (farther to the right) on the graph relatively rapidly (a new Asian 'Tiger' economy), eventually landing somewhere among the technologically-savvy and oil-rich Norway, oil-poor Hong Kong, and oil-some Singapore crowd.
Absolutely true. It's no coincidence that the poor but non-religious countries are all former or current communist states - Vietnam, Cuba, Albania, etc., but barring the presence of such failed economic ideologies or terrific natural resources, lack of religion seems to be a very strong explanatory factor for economic success*. The US, of course, lands somewhere in the middle - most people were trained to say they belong to some religion, but that has nearly no impact on their daily lives, and there's a lot of oil, although not quite as much of it per capita as in some middle eastern countries...


* it's causality rather than correlation as you can look at countries that started out more or less at the same place post WWII or later and see how the less religious one is almost invariably the winner.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #47 (permalink)
añejo
 
Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 10,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPibil View Post
I know nothing, please explain to me how your vernacular religion (some form of Christianity) just happens to be right and you just happened to have been born where it is practiced. Isn't that an amazing coincidence?
To the best of my knowledge, Christianity is practiced all over the world.
Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #48 (permalink)
añejo
 
gingele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 12,825
Send a message via Skype™ to gingele
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Christianity is practiced all over the world.
He is also missing the fact that in your case especially, you purposefully chose your religious affiliation, leaving behind your religion-by-birth. This makes the geographical location of your birth (and the religion(s) practiced therein) somewhat irrelevant.
gingele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #49 (permalink)
beach geek
admin
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 10 year Playa resident lost in Sweden
Posts: 12,967
maybe, but it's true in most cases. you are born into something. it's luggage.
__________________
Get your own signature countdown image!

james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #50 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingele View Post
He is also missing the fact that in your case especially, you purposefully chose your religious affiliation, leaving behind your religion-by-birth. This makes the geographical location of your birth (and the religion(s) practiced therein) somewhat irrelevant.
Not at all - she chose her affiliation because that's what they were selling where and when she was buying. Hundreds of millions of Koreans have similarly became Moonies. The fact they "chose" to do so doesn't make it a genuine, geography independent choice.

Mercy - if you were in a 100% Muslim country, odds are you'd be Muslim. In Mexico you'd be Catholic, in Denmark you'd belong to the Church of Denmark (Lutheran) and in Israel you'd likely either be Jewish or Muslim. Unless you can explain how that wouldn't be the case, your religion is just random. That, in a very thin nutshell, is the argument from queerness.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #51 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Christianity is practiced all over the world.
Sure, in Venezuela, Chavez and some of his closest friends - devout Catholics, dug up the bones of Simon Bolivar and ground them into tea, because they believe that endocannibalism is consistent with the teaching of the Christian faith.

In PA (and even in Quintana Roo), many people believe the Mennonite way of being Christian is the only way.

Why aren't you Amish, why aren't you mixing Venezuelan indigenous beliefs with Catholic teachings?

And if you tell me none of these differences matter, then you'd have to agree almost everything that you think is part of "Christianity" is just window dressing.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #52 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
maybe, but it's true in most cases. you are born into something. it's luggage.
Yes, absolutely, but part of becoming an autonomous adult, IMO, involves unpacking and re-packing the suitcases.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #53 (permalink)
añejo
 
MaripositaII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy View Post

I wouldn't mind taking a dunk with these three hunks
MaripositaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #54 (permalink)
añejo
 
Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 10,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingele View Post
He is also missing the fact that in your case especially, you purposefully chose your religious affiliation, leaving behind your religion-by-birth. This makes the geographical location of your birth (and the religion(s) practiced therein) somewhat irrelevant.
Yes, this is right. I was "born" into Catholicism, but "choose" to be an Evangelical Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPibil View Post
Not at all - she chose her affiliation because that's what they were selling where and when she was buying. Hundreds of millions of Koreans have similarly became Moonies. The fact they "chose" to do so doesn't make it a genuine, geography independent choice.

Mercy - if you were in a 100% Muslim country, odds are you'd be Muslim. In Mexico you'd be Catholic, in Denmark you'd belong to the Church of Denmark (Lutheran) and in Israel you'd likely either be Jewish or Muslim. Unless you can explain how that wouldn't be the case, your religion is just random. That, in a very thin nutshell, is the argument from queerness.
Pibil...what were you born into and what did you choose, or buy into?? How are you any different than me?
Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #55 (permalink)
beach geek
admin
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 10 year Playa resident lost in Sweden
Posts: 12,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaripositaII View Post
I wouldn't mind taking a dunk with these three hunks
that would be adultery.

What Does the Bible Say About Lust?
__________________
Get your own signature countdown image!

james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #56 (permalink)
Allah Akhbar
 
STOGEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: salisbury, mass.
Posts: 20,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingele View Post
Yes, you are picking it up nicely. The literal translations are as you say, but note that the terms can carry a derogatory implication, depending on the context.
Is just calling a female anything but a female derogatory.

I have a male friend who is going to college that is a male lesbian. He's joined all the pro womens stuff at school, is very politically active to say the least.

At his college his colleagues are having a seminar on how everything is sexually stereotyped. For example in tv commercials everything is either all male oriented or all femae oriented such as colors or scents..
I look forward to many exciting conversations with him.


By the way, when i was younger, i wish that i had thought of his lifestyle. Accept for the fact that he's sexually attracted to guys. He gets to sleep with good looking college girls, and intelligent ones at that.

He may even give a little oral discertation once in a while and receive it as well.

Last edited by STOGEY; 05-20-2013 at 03:35 PM..
STOGEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #57 (permalink)
beach geek
admin
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 10 year Playa resident lost in Sweden
Posts: 12,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Yes, absolutely, but part of becoming an autonomous adult, IMO, involves unpacking and re-packing the suitcases.
of course. Arriving at the threshold of understanding your surroundings have influenced your beliefs the same as others elsewhere is fundamental to enlightenment.
there lies enlightenment. lays?
__________________
Get your own signature countdown image!

james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #58 (permalink)
Allah Akhbar
 
STOGEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: salisbury, mass.
Posts: 20,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
that would be adultery.

What Does the Bible Say About Lust?
That would depend on her thoughts, whilecbeing dunked. Ibwas having a similar conversation with a male cab driver in St. Kitts. We were talking about enjoy the flowers on the island and the walking kind as well.

Why couldnt Mariipositta innocently do the same. Lol
STOGEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #59 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
Yes, this is right. I was "born" into Catholicism, but "choose" to be an Evangelical Christian.


Pibil...what were you born into and what did you choose, or buy into?? How are you any different than me?
I was always, or at least as far as I can remember, an atheist. My family has been Jewish*, with levels of faith anywhere from completely secular (but maintaining some traditions, for the sake of tradition) to ultra-orthodox.

Now, before you say "well, isn't atheism just another religion?" - no, it is not. It differs from religions in three ways:

1. It is simultaneously the opposite of all religions.

2. It does not require any kind of hocus pocus to make the world go around.

3. It is the simplest explanation of the metaphysical and therefore the most likely to be true.


* well, based on DNA evidence, I'm 15/16 Jewish, so someone decided to join in at some point in the 19th century.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #60 (permalink)
añejo
 
bearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by STOGEY View Post
Is just calling a female anything but a female derogatory.

I have a male friend who is going to college that is a male lesbian. He's joined all the pro womens stuff at school, is very politically active to say the least.

At his college his colleagues are having a seminar on how everything is sexually stereotyped. For example in tv commercials everything is either all male oriented or all femae oriented such as colors or scents..
I look forward to many exciting conversations with him.


By the way, when i was younger, i wish that i had thought of his lifestyle. Accept for the fact that he's sexually attracted to guys. He gets to sleep with good looking college girls, and intelligent ones at that.

He may even give a little oral discertation once in a while and receive it as well.
A male lesbian? I am almost afraid to ask what that is.
bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.