Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013   #46 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,423
[quote=Jacko;1999257]If that ever changed, lets say the world decided not to tip servers any longer, I would merely charge a service charge instead to the same guests who are now paying the tip and then pay a larger hourly salary to the servers. They currently earn a LOT more than $15/hour. They tell me they prefer it the way it is rather than what you propose paying them.

Just like beam-eye says......It is just business....get it?[/quote]

I do get it, you need to make money. I don't blame you. Get ret ready for the $10 big mac. We pay in the end
deep six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #47 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
[quote=deep six;1999259]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
If that ever changed, lets say the world decided not to tip servers any longer, I would merely charge a service charge instead to the same guests who are now paying the tip and then pay a larger hourly salary to the servers. They currently earn a LOT more than $15/hour. They tell me they prefer it the way it is rather than what you propose paying them.

Just like beam-eye says......It is just business....get it?[/quote]

I do get it, you need to make money. I don't blame you. Get ret ready for the $10 big mac. We pay in the end
Of course we do. I charge more than that for a hamburger and fries in my restaurant (but my burger is a LOT better!)...folks pay that all the time....relax.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #48 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,423
[quote=Jacko;1999260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep six View Post

Of course we do. I charge more than that for a hamburger and fries in my restaurant (but my burger is a LOT better!)...folks pay that all the time....relax.
Well at least I know if I ever lose my job I can make 30 grand a year flipping burgers. If their still open for biz.
deep six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #49 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbreath View Post
Are you saying we don't need these people?And not everyone can do it.
But almost everybody can do it - besides, most chain's burgers are cooked in an 'assembly line' oven on an endless belt. Cooks in smaller joints flip burgers 'by hand', but the biggies don't - the workers just slap the pattie and special sauce on the bun and wrap it up. $15 per hour is not what the job skill demands - it's what the restaurant has to pay to keep a supply of unskilled labor alive in NYC and other big cities where the employees can't afford to live. No workers, no restaurant - simple as that - so you pay what you have to pay to stay in business ('the cost of doing business'), or you close the business and move elsewhere.

Last edited by beam-eye; 07-29-2013 at 09:59 PM..
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #50 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep six View Post

Well at least I know if I ever lose my job I can make 30 grand a year flipping burgers. If their still open for biz.
Even at that, your net pay might not be as much as you hoped if you pay rent in New York City....just sayin....
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #51 (permalink)
añejo
 
beerbreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,537
These big company's like McDonald's,Walmart and others that say if the wages go up than they will charge us more,is just greed. They can cut back on paying the CEO's a little less,like 50 mill instead of 60 mill,trust me they will get by.They just try and brainwash us,it is just plain greed.Capitalism can be very evil,make no mistake about that.
beerbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #52 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbreath View Post
These big company's like McDonald's,Walmart and others that say if the wages go up than they will charge us more,is just greed. They can cut back on paying the CEO's a little less,like 50 mill instead of 60 mill,trust me they will get by.They just try and brainwash us,it is just plain greed.Capitalism can be very evil,make no mistake about that.
We should destroy them, so we don't have any unskilled jobs.
deep six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #53 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Even at that, your net pay might not be as much as you hoped if you pay rent in New York City....just sayin....
Well let's base everything on NYC.
deep six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #54 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep six View Post
Well let's base everything on NYC.
Well, let's base it on the facts as we know them in the discussion..I know, I know..this can be an unusual practice for some.......

The employees, in New York, Chicago, Detroit and other cities, are calling for a $15 per hour wage as well as the right to unionize without fear of retaliation. The campaign launched Monday in New York City, and has been aided by Fast Food Forward, a New York City-based advocacy group of fast food workers:
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #55 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Well, let's base it on the facts as we know them in the discussion..I know, I know..this can be an unusual practice for some.......

The employees, in New York, Chicago, Detroit and other cities, are calling for a $15 per hour wage as well as the right to unionize without fear of retaliation. The campaign launched Monday in New York City, and has been aided by Fast Food Forward, a New York City-based advocacy group of fast food workers:
Detroit! That's top pay in Detroit.
And that's not how the thread started.
deep six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #56 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep six View Post
Detroit! That's top pay in Detroit.
And that's not how the thread started.
Pesky threads.....they never stay where you want them to stay.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #57 (permalink)
añejo
 
Brent & Kim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Rockton Illinois
Posts: 10,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
The CEO should flip the burgers himself rather than pay people more money.
Who's going to make the decisions to keep the company profitable while the CEO's flipping burgers?
Brent & Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #58 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 76,708
Why didn't it kill the economy in 1968 when the minimum wage was $10.60 in today's dollars?
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #59 (permalink)
añejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent & Kim View Post
Who's going to make the decisions to keep the company profitable while the CEO's flipping burgers?

The CFO of course.
CalifGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #60 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGuy View Post
The CFO of course.
Chief Flipping Officer?
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.