Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > Introductions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014   #1 (permalink)
way into it
 
pranayama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 214
Skype Reliabilty

Hi All, planning a move to Playa in the near future and looking for advice on the Skype situation. I use it all day for work, so need to know if the internet connections there are reliable/fast enough to hold calls over Skype. Also, are there any good plans for data on cell phones or long distance calls on a landline as back-up (my clients are in France)? Gracias!
pranayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #2 (permalink)
Resident Moderator

 
Susie Q Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Q Roo
Posts: 17,622
I use Skype down here on a regular basis, using Playa Wireless. Of course it works best on their highest speeds, but it works on their low speed as well, if somewhat sporadically. I have also used it with Telcel's 3G data plan (the USB stick for laptop), but it seemed to eat up the allotted bandwidth very fast, which is one of the reasons I returned to Playa Wireless. I can't speak to the other internet plans available in town.
Susie Q Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #3 (permalink)
way into it
 
pranayama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 214
Thanks Susie Q (great nickname btw, it's one of mine too!). Just checked out the Playa Wireless website and it refers to a one year contract. Did you have to sign up for a year?

Well, sporadic calls will not satisfy my clients, so would have to get the mid-range or top package I guess. Did you find you got cut off or disconnected at all?

Thanks for your advice
pranayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #4 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranayama View Post
Thanks Susie Q (great nickname btw, it's one of mine too!). Just checked out the Playa Wireless website and it refers to a one year contract. Did you have to sign up for a year?

Well, sporadic calls will not satisfy my clients, so would have to get the mid-range or top package I guess. Did you find you got cut off or disconnected at all?

Thanks for your advice
If Cablemas or Telmex are available where you are - sign up with one of those.
Playa Wireless is pretty much for those without access to one of the above.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #5 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranayama View Post
Hi All, planning a move to Playa in the near future and looking for advice on the Skype situation. I use it all day for work, so need to know if the internet connections there are reliable/fast enough to hold calls over Skype. Also, are there any good plans for data on cell phones or long distance calls on a landline as back-up (my clients are in France)? Gracias!
Not sure that you can survive "all day" business calls on Skype using PW or a 3G system. I used IUSACELL's 3G system for my first year here and some times if was good, sometimes not so good. I have gone to PW as it is cheaper and more reliable in my experience. The issue for me is still not with the speed, speed is easy for Skype calls (as long as you are not doing video). The real issue is in the area of packet loss, jitter and latency. I can be talking away and all of a sudden the person on the other end only hears every 3rd word I say. Fine when talking to family, unacceptable when you are billing a client for the advice you are giving them. There are some websites out there that allow you to do VOIP tests on your connection to check not only speed; https://www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/.

My real issues with using Skype for business comes during high season. In my experience this is when my service suffers the most. I believe it is just because there is not enough band width coming into the entire area. This might effect Cablemas as well.

Movistar and Iusacell have some pretty good phone rates into the US, but not sure about the EU, you'd need to check out the websites. Both have good reliability when dialing into the US.

If you really need to be on the phone all day with perfect connection you will likely need a cell phone some of the time, based only on my experience. Hopefully someone in Playa can tell you they have rock solid internet that never drops a call, but I, with PW, can not do that.

Good luck
reddogmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #6 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
If Cablemas or Telmex are available where you are - sign up with one of those.
Playa Wireless is pretty much for those without access to one of the above.
I agree with Babaloo on this one. Wish I could try it to see if it is better for VOIP.
reddogmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #7 (permalink)
way into it
 
pranayama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 214
Thanks Guys,

Babaloo: So what's the general area serviced by Cablemas or Telmex (defo something to know before I rent a place!)?

Reddogmax: Appreciate your candor. Hm, sounds like cell/landline backup may be necessary. I used Movistar in Spain and was happy with them there. High season is December to April-ish?
pranayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #8 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranayama View Post
Thanks Guys,

Babaloo: So what's the general area serviced by Cablemas or Telmex (defo something to know before I rent a place!)?

Reddogmax: Appreciate your candor. Hm, sounds like cell/landline backup may be necessary. I used Movistar in Spain and was happy with them there. High season is December to April-ish?
Ask when you look at a place, then verify with the provider.
Cablemas and Telmex will cover the same area. Unless it has changed, Cablemas was not available in most of Playacar.
If given the choice I would take Cablemas.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #9 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranayama View Post
Reddogmax: Appreciate your candor. Hm, sounds like cell/landline backup may be necessary. I used Movistar in Spain and was happy with them there. High season is December to April-ish?

With PW it's less of the entire high season, I see the issues during specific high tourist times. It's the week before Christmas to a week after New Years, Easter week, blizzards on the E coast of the US that people ran from this year. Times like that become impossible to use Skype. In between I find it better in the AM and worse in the afternoons.

Now the entire time my internet connection is fine for e-mail etc (I do not work with large files) but the reliability to VOIP just is not there.

If you find something that works well in Playa, let me know.
reddogmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #10 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,929
I've had much better experience with Google Hangouts recently than with Skype.

Quote:
My real issues with using Skype for business comes during high season. In my experience this is when my service suffers the most. I believe it is just because there is not enough band width coming into the entire area. This might effect Cablemas as well.
Yup. During semana santa, for example, the 3G network is very, very spotty because there just aren't enough cells installed. Cablemas has disruptions and slowdowns occasionally, but these seem more random than related to load.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #11 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPibil View Post
I've had much better experience with Google Hangouts recently than with Skype.



Yup. During semana santa, for example, the 3G network is very, very spotty because there just aren't enough cells installed. Cablemas has disruptions and slowdowns occasionally, but these seem more random than related to load.
Well, yeah, maybe, if you are willing to use Google products. They know more about you than the NSA.
roni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #12 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,929
I've got bigger things to worry about than google listening in on incredibly boring business meetings.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #13 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPibil View Post
I've had much better experience with Google Hangouts recently than with Skype.
I'll check it out. Skype to Skype is fairly good for me and I maintain a US phone number via it, so clients have no idea that I'm not in the US if I do not want to tell them. Skype to a US mobile or land line is usually ok. Skype to couple of dial in telecon services is often so bad I want to shoot myself.
reddogmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #14 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 168
Attached a screenshot from speedtest.net. Using Telmex, 5mbps plan.

I use a paid VOIP phone daily for work - the upload speed is quite slow but for some reason it doesn't cut out on me too often.
Attached Images
 
nobbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #15 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbish View Post
Attached a screenshot from speedtest.net. Using Telmex, 5mbps plan.
Speed is usually not the key to good voice over. It's stability of connection, packet loss etc.
reddogmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.