Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014   #61 (permalink)
añejo
 
melliedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 30,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-0 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, minimum wage for servers is the same as it was when I waited tables and tended bar when I was in college back in the 80's. So how can you justify raising the "minimum wage" for some and not for them?
I think the argument is that servers/bartenders are not really minimum wage workers. You work at McD's and your paycheck is it, that's your wage. You work at a restaurant, whether a diner or a fancy joint, and your wage far exceeds the fast food worker's.
melliedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #62 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Nope. I worked for 13 years in a union environment. Folks got fired. They also got a chance to change their behavior, but if they did not they were out the door - often with the agreement of the union that they needed to be fired.
I am sure Folks got fired during the 13 years, but not many because the union has made next to impossible to accomplish this. That's why they pay dues, to keep their sorry asses employed no matter how low life they are. Another poster said they have to do something illegal and even then the union will go to bat for them and occasionally get them off.
Coming to Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #63 (permalink)
añejo
 
Dan-0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 5,363
We should have one minimum wage for all employees. If it weren't for lobbying by the restaurant industry, I don't think we would have a separate wage for tipped employees. I'll bet you see restaurants getting an exemption or perpetual delay from Obamacare's employer mandate as well.

Quote:
Minimum Wage For Restaurant Servers Remains Stagnant For 20 Years Under Industry Lobbying

In 1996, President Bill Clinton pressured Congress to raise the minimum wage for the first time in years. He ultimately got House Republicans on board with the wage hike, but not without a significant caveat.

The restaurant industry, led by the National Restaurant Association -- and its board chairman Herman Cain, who would later become the group's president -- successfully pressured lawmakers to have the minimum wage for tipped employees separated from the increase and kept at $2.13.

"I don’t think anyone knew at that point that it was a permanent deal," says Jen Kern, minimum wage campaign coordinator at the National Employment Law Project, an advocacy group for low-wage workers. "As these things happen ... they become ingrained. They succeeded in creating this second-class wage system, and people accepted it as the way it's always been."
Minimum Wage For Restaurant Servers Remains Stagnant For 20 Years Under Industry Lobbying

Last edited by Dan-0; 06-04-2014 at 03:34 PM..
Dan-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #64 (permalink)
life=playa
 
MrsFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
I haven't read all of the other comments but my 1st thought was "man I really missed out when I was younger and barely scraping by". Then I thought...had I been paid that much higher (or even double the $4.85 I started out at) I don't know how good of a thing that would have been because my motivation to move up faster would have been stalled.

It will be interesting to see the full effects of this.
MrsFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #65 (permalink)
añejo
 
Brent & Kim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Rockton Illinois
Posts: 10,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coming to Playa View Post
I am sure Folks got fired during the 13 years, but not many because the union has made next to impossible to accomplish this. That's why they pay dues, to keep their sorry asses employed no matter how low life they are. Another poster said they have to do something illegal and even then the union will go to bat for them and occasionally get them off.



Not true
Brent & Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #66 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent & Kim View Post
[/b]


Not true
Ummm... My old roommate worked at the North Hollywood GM plant. His line made Firebirds. NEVER EVER buy a Firebird from the 1980's! The stories he toldof union workers (including himself) that just f*cked off, all the time, and the union protected their jobs, was almost criminal.

The police used to cruise the area looking for employees smoking weed, doing coke, and drinking, on their breaks. So the union bought a piece of property and made a PRIVATE employee parking lot. No outside law enforcement allowed to patrol.

He made great money. He was also the one that told me to NEVER EVER buy a car that rolled out of that plant.
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #67 (permalink)
añejo
 
jsotherj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Where the river meets the sea....
Posts: 1,976
Minimum wage in Oregon is $9.10 no matter what your position is. And I can tell you, good servers make AWESOME money in tips!
jsotherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #68 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent & Kim View Post
[/b]


Not true
Not many union workers get fired. Is this the part you are disputing? What part of Not many do you disagree with? Are you saying Many do?

You flat "not true" doesn't make me confident I am wrong
Coming to Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #69 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent & Kim View Post
[/b]


Not true
Keeping Bad Teachers in Front of Students | Teachers Union Facts

The Albany Times Union looked at what was going on outside New York City and discovered some shocking data: Of 132,000 teachers, only 32 were fired for any reason between 2006 and 2011.

Newsweek reported that only 0.1 percent of teachers were dismissed for performance-related reasons between 2005 and 2008.

Between 1995 and 2005, only 112 Los Angeles tenured teachers faced termination — eleven per year — out of 43,000.

This is just 1 union profession. It's criminal that teachers who don't belong in front of our children rarely get fired because of union lawyers to keep them employed.

Does this illustrate "not many" for you? Or am I way off?
Coming to Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #70 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas_Montoya View Post
I can tell you this, hiring will stop and more downsizing will take place.
I'm pretty certain in the fast food world, Andreas is correct. Any of you ever go to the Philly area and go into a WaWa gas station/sub shop? Order a sub, sandwich, soup, java etc without ever having to talk to a person. All touch screen POS. Prints a receipt, you pay where you'd pay for the gas and then go back and pick up the sub.
reddogmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #71 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by melliedee View Post
I think the argument is that servers/bartenders are not really minimum wage workers. You work at McD's and your paycheck is it, that's your wage. You work at a restaurant, whether a diner or a fancy joint, and your wage far exceeds the fast food worker's.
If I told all my servers who make $3.13/hr that I was going to start charging a service charge, which would stop or minimize tipping, and begin to pay them $15-$20/hr, they would scream bloody murder.....just saying. My dinner servers would be unhappy at $25/hour base pay.

Just like Universal Healthcare, I have no problem making the switch to service charge and a higher base pay for servers vs. tipping.......if EVERYONE has to make the switch so that competition is fair....everyone's dinner is just going to cost a bit more.

Last edited by Jacko; 06-05-2014 at 07:22 PM..
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #72 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogmax View Post
I'm pretty certain in the fast food world, Andreas is correct. Any of you ever go to the Philly area and go into a WaWa gas station/sub shop? Order a sub, sandwich, soup, java etc without ever having to talk to a person. All touch screen POS. Prints a receipt, you pay where you'd pay for the gas and then go back and pick up the sub.
Maybe...but imo, more likely the price of the hamburger would merely rise a bit....I think the fast food world is already using as much automation as they can get away with.

Last edited by Jacko; 06-05-2014 at 07:22 PM..
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #73 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
In France, it is not customary to tip....I figure that food was about 20% higher than here given a built in service charge....go figure...

Last edited by Jacko; 06-05-2014 at 07:23 PM..
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #74 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
If I told all my servers who make $3.13/hr that I was going to start charging a service charge, which would stop or minimize tipping, and begin to pay them $15-$20/hr, they would scream bloody murder.....just saying. My dinner servers would be unhappy at $25/hour base pay.

Just like Universal Healthcare, I have no problem making the switch to service charge and a higher base pay for servers vs. tipping.......if EVERYONE has to make the switch so that competition is fair....everyone's dinner is just going to cost a bit more.
For example, if our local Applebee's raised the servers, bartenders, hosts, kitchen staff etc. to $15 per hour and raised the menu price to accommodate this increase, they would go out of business in a month.

A bit more means a lot more. Because you can't raise the hourly wage for 20+ employees by 33% or more (servers) and still have reasonable prices and good quality food. You will have to cut corners (quality) and limit the amount of employees (service). Along with reducing benefits.
Coming to Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #75 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coming to Playa View Post
For example, if our local Applebee's raised the servers, bartenders, hosts, kitchen staff etc. to $15 per hour and raised the menu price to accommodate this increase, they would go out of business in a month.

A bit more means a lot more. Because you can't raise the hourly wage for 20+ employees by 33% or more (servers) and still have reasonable prices and good quality food. You will have to cut corners (quality) and limit the amount of employees (service). Along with reducing benefits.
I think you may not have understood what I am suggesting...the business would recoup most of the money from a new service charge and the guest would cease tipping as a.result of that...
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.