Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014   #31 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Wilfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central BC, Canada
Posts: 680
soft cooler
coozie for my Sol
Corkscrew to open Sol n Wine for the deck

Really most everything is so easy and inexpensive I really take less and less and pick what I need up at one of the stores when I pick up my Sol and Wine……. LOL

I do like to carry a light travel blanket as I love going to just chill on the beach.

Money for the laundry so all of my stuff is clean and washed when I pack to leave.

PESOS
Wilfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #32 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Posts: 171
Never mind...

Last edited by stargazer21; 06-29-2014 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Apparently I'm wrong.
stargazer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #33 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer21 View Post
I always bring a small-ish surge protector strip, with multi plug ins. It protects my electronics from the inevitable brown outs, black outs and surges that tend to occur, plus provides a centralized charging station for me and hubby, so we don't have chargers scattered everywhere and more likely to get left behind.
You might be living in the past. I have lived here full time for 7+ years and, at least in the area that I live in and assume in many other areas of town, brown outs, black outs, surges, etc., are much more rare these days than in years passed.

Last edited by absoluteAL; 06-28-2014 at 10:05 PM..
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #34 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Maddison1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD View Post
Just wondering... How did the thief know your PIN number?
The ATM card was used to pay for a hotel room as a debit charge. No pin necessary.
Maddison1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #35 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
You might be living in the past. I have lived here full time for 7+ years and, at least in the area that I live in and assume in many other areas of town, brown outs, black outs, surges, etc., are much more rare these days than in years passed.
Well, I've experienced them in past recent visits. But I don't live there, so I'll remove my post.
stargazer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #36 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer21 View Post
Well, I've experienced them in past recent visits. But I don't live there, so I'll remove my post.
You're both right - they still happen occasionally, but much less frequently - usually only when you're actively on line. And you can buy the strips here, cheap, in any supermarket.
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #37 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
You're both right - they still happen occasionally, but much less frequently - usually only when you're actively on line. And you can buy the strips here, cheap, in any supermarket.
I would say that my power goes out once every 6 to 8 weeks or longer and usually for only a brief period of time. I can remember years ago when it would go out 3 times/week.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #38 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 74,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer21 View Post
Well, I've experienced them in past recent visits. But I don't live there, so I'll remove my post.
I would not do that. We have non-interruptible power supplies with voltage regulators - the kind that have a battery in them to maintain power for a while if the power goes off.

The voltage regulator regularly gives reading of regulating both low and high voltage. The modem and computer systems are hooked up to it, and we have others for the television and other systems. The appliances that are not on these seem to do fine, but there is variability in the power supply.
roni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #39 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
I would not do that. We have non-interruptible power supplies with voltage regulators - the kind that have a battery in them to maintain power for a while if the power goes off.

The voltage regulator regularly gives reading of regulating both low and high voltage. The modem and computer systems are hooked up to it, and we have others for the television and other systems. The appliances that are not on these seem to do fine, but there is variability in the power supply.
Yep, that's the way to go. Both Office Max and Office Deport here carry them - mine was around 200-300 pesos ($15-25 USD), and Roni's with the battery in it was more expensive.
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.