Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2014   #31 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
These were all good drivers, and good phone numbers, as of the last time I used them, but I make no representation as to their current 'goodness', skills, availability, or phone numbers. Call till you find one that works for you.

Jose Manuel: 984-197-4071

Avil: 984-143-6897

Eddie: 984-116-9067

Eduardo: 984-131-0845

Juan: 984-128-0128

Mario: 984-115-3658

Caesar: 984-143-4654
How about a rating system like some restaurants in the U.S. have to post. It shows the health inspector's rating grade and must be posted prominently.
Maybe a rating of their driving ability for taxi drivers or a scorecard of the accidents that they have been in. The reason I posted this is because of the name Eduardo. I was talking with a taxi driver at a body shop several years ago. His name was Eduardo and he spoke perfect English. He told me that he had been driving a taxi in Playa for 11 years and then announced that he was in the body shop to have his taxi repaired - front end damage. He proudly told me that this was his 38th accident in the 11 years he had been driving a taxi . He gave me his card which I later tossed. NO THANKS, I will either drive myself or walk.
P.S.: At that time Eduardo was driving a white Dodge Sebring. He probably didn't need a horn because it said DODGE on the front. Heed the warning. LOL

Last edited by absoluteAL; 06-15-2014 at 09:02 AM..
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #32 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
How about a rating system like some restaurants in the U.S. have to post. It shows the health inspector's rating grade and must be posted prominently.
Maybe a rating of their driving ability for taxi drivers or a scorecard of the accidents that they have been in. The reason I posted this is because of the name Eduardo. I was talking with a taxi driver at a body shop several years ago. His name was Eduardo and he spoke perfect English. He told me that he had been driving a taxi in Playa for 11 years and then announced that he was in the body shop to have his taxi repaired - front end damage. He proudly told me that this was his 38th accident in the 11 years he had been driving a taxi . He gave me his card which I later tossed. NO THANKS, I will either drive myself or walk.
P.S.: At that time Eduardo was driving a white Dodge Sebring. He probably didn't need a horn because it said DODGE on the front. Heed the warning. LOL
Well, there you go - I must have got him on a slow (safe) day. If it's the same guy, dump his ass. I just did.
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #33 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 109
Well, it may not be the same Eduardo...

My tactic to get the drivers to slow down is to tell them I have motion sickness (can't remember the word for it in Spanish but I had someone tell me the last time I was there) and I don't want to throw up in their cab.
hooterville_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #34 (permalink)
aņejo
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: INDY
Posts: 2,442
Ok, I live in Indy, big things going on this weekend, lots of out of towners are here.
Still 3 murders in 2 days. Seems pretty normal for a larger U.S. city.

I don't think I'll lose any sleep about my next trip down.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #35 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooterville_mom View Post
Well, it may not be the same Eduardo..
Maybe or maybe not. And maybe beam-eye's Eduardo drove a Dode Sebring with no horn - just DODGE
Better to be safe than sorry . He lists plenty of other names to try.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #36 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Maybe or maybe not. And maybe beam-eye's Eduardo drove a Dode Sebring with no horn - just DODGE
Better to be safe than sorry . He lists plenty of other names to try.
IF I call him again, I'll check to see if he has a Dodge. Thanks for the heads-up...just in case.
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #37 (permalink)
aņejo
 
WaterRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooterville_mom View Post
Well, it may not be the same Eduardo...
If I had a nickel for every Eduardo that I've met down there .......
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #38 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
IF I call him again, I'll check to see if he has a Dodge. Thanks for the heads-up...just in case.
Or maybe after all of the accidents......HAD a Dodge
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #39 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 40 miles south east of Boston
Posts: 7,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
I get your point about not calling a driver while he's driving - your point makes sense to me - but there's no good way around it that I know of. Call, don't text. If the driver you call doesn't answer (or he's busy) call the next one on the list. Leaving a voice message is OK if you're not in a hurry, but I usually just call the next number.

I didn't mention before (but should have) that drivers here text and jabber on the phone while driving, even though both are illegal. The taxi and colectivo drivers also love to play on their company CB radios while speeding along driving with one hand, maybe even just a knee, talking aimlessly and joking with the dispatcher the whole trip. Tell him to 'hang up and drive' (cuelge y manajar con las dos manos, por favor), as one of my favorite US bumper stickers says. If he doesn't stop, tell him to let you out. Don't pay. Walk or flag down another. One taxista actually told me it was his job to drive fast and jerky - I told him his job was to do what I told him to do, or let me out. He let me out - no fuss, no bother. (He didn't get paid.)

If the taxi you call is too far away, or otherwise engaged, they'll tell you. Obviously, it usually takes longer to get a cab by calling than it does to simply flag one down, but if your safety is more important than getting there in a hurry, call a driver you trust.

Otherwise, take your chances and flag one down - you may get a good one (they're not all bad - in fact most are at least 'OK', but they are all 'untrained' (no 'Drivers Ed' here), so you take your chances. I do it all the time, because (unless I stop and think about it) I still have the confused vestigial urban notion that I'm in a hurry to get someplace - in fact, just from the fact that I live here instead of somewhere else, I'm actually seldom in a hurry to get anywhere - which is the whole point, really. Sometimes, I just have to stop and remind myself of that. So, why drive with an untrained nitwit if you can spend an extra 5 or 10 minutes waiting for a driver you trust?
They are NOT all bad, $20 peso rides, you'll find good guy's. Use common scense, it can be fun too!
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #40 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central IL
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjan View Post
Paula, I have a couple of names I can give you when you get here.
Thanks Jan, see you in a couple weeks!
prbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #41 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
Another bites the dust

Last night, another one in Centro Maya Shopping Center bit the dust. Probably not the best time to be a taxi driver.

Last edited by absoluteAL; 06-16-2014 at 07:49 AM..
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #42 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 423
Did they find the taxi driver? Last I read they found an abandoned taxi and feared that the driver was the latest victim in the turf war for control over the taxi syndicate, but he was missing.
chula banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #43 (permalink)
Sue
aņejo
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 18,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Last night, another one in Centro Maya Shopping Center bit the dust. Probably not the best time to be a taxi driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chula banana View Post
Did they find the taxi driver? Last I read they found an abandoned taxi and feared that the driver was the latest victim in the turf war for control over the taxi syndicate, but he was missing.
Yeah, thought he was missing, possibly kidnapped.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #44 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Last night, another one in Centro Maya Shopping Center bit the dust. Probably not the best time to be a taxi driver.
It was two nights ago and they only found an abandoned taxi with the keys in the ignition.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #45 (permalink)
ptm
into ruins
 
ptm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Currently: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijo View Post
I would not want to be the "potential" passenger in the taxi. Being selfish, I'm going to say. That' s why we stay at Playa Maya. We have never had to take a cab anywhere since we started staying there. Do I have a problem with cab drivers? You want to believe it. Cozumel, Isla Mujeres; all big time. My husband would always say, "let it go, just pay" Would I listen: no. Solution: stay close to fifth on the beach and walk to Wah Wah, Bad Boys, El Fogon, Dirty Martini, Beer Bucket, and several of the other bars and restaurants.
Call it lucky but I have yet to come across one bad taxi driver or taxi experience here in Playa.

We've found that if you know enough Spanish to say the address you want to go to in Playa, you're golden. Most of the time drivers don't make too much small talk. They just want to get you to where you need to go and they generally will only strike up a convo if they speak a little English themselves, or they think you speak a bit of Spanish.

We pay no more than 25-30 pesos to get anywhere in town. If you hop in a taxi and start speaking English, you should expect to pay double the price.

Our parents were in town a couple months back and there wasn't one time that they took a taxi that it was less than 50 pesos. That right there proves in itself that speaking enough Spanish to say the roads/intersection you want to be dropped at is crucial if you want to get around by Taxi in Playa.
ptm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.