Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2014   #16 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,342
I have already forgotten some of the restaurants.

I will give short and sweet reviews of the ones I remember- which is likely the ones you want to hear about anyway!

Oh La La- oh my my!! It was great. Gracious (not overly solicitous) service, cool decor (loved the kitchen!) and wonderful food.

We shared a bottle of an Argentinian Malbec, overpriced of course but that is too be expected, and we both has curries which were just as good as our favourite place in Saskatoon makes. yummy! We did make a reservation here, they are reccommended. We just stopped by earlier in the day we ate there to do so.

Byblos is right across the street from the Aventura Mexicana. Such great food!

Attentive and friendly service from Christian (and he is very easy on the eyes). Met Sylvie, she was very friendly and welcoming. I had the Boeuf Bourguignon because I love it, and Don had the escargots and the duck. Shared another bottle of red.
We sat outside and did regret that for a couple reasons- the heat, the traffic noise and fumes, and I do believe this might be the place Don contracted Dengue, he had gotten a few bites before he figured it out and sprayed his feet/legs. Oh well!
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #17 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,342
Babe's Noodle Bar- always one of our favourites and a must-eat-at place for us. We had lunch here one day.
I don't care if people sniff and loftily say it is 'too touristy' - we love the food! Don had a big old plate of Swedish meatballs (to die for!!) and I had a Thai green curry. We also shared spring rolls- they have the best peanut sauce there!


Wah Wah's - I think it was the day we went to Cenote Azul we stopped here for lunch and drinks on our walk home from the colectivo street. We shared a burger, it was pretty good. Service was good and it is a fun laid back place, we lucked out and Mike Grabow was singing and we had a pleasant couple of hours sitting here drinking beer and watching a storm roll in and then a big downpour. We started off sitting on the beach and ended up far away from the wind and blowing sand and rain back by the stage. We had intended to sit here and swim and chill on the beach but sadly the weather didn't cooperate that day.

We had a snack at the Lol Ha at Akumal (LOVE that place - the food is good and the waiters are so chipper and energetic!) and then a late lunch at La Buena Vida at Half Moon Bay after we snorkeled there. I had a salad that was very tasty, with blue cheese and pecans and mixed greens with a balsamic dressing.


Papa Charley's Pasta Factory- this was our first time here. Was another rainy night, our last night, Friday September 5th. But the rain gods were smiling on us, it was rumbling thunder as we walked to the restaurant, as soon as were seated the skies opened for the heaviest downpour and loudest and brightest thunderstorm yet of the week. It was really cool.

We both just had pretty basic pastas, I had penne carbonara which was very rich and heavy on the pork belly (YUM) and Don had lasagna. Food was a solid 'good', I would say, nothing that special.

Shared a bottle of wine because we knew due to the weather we were gonna be awhile. And because, you know...vacation = wine every day!


this sign made us laugh . Usually I try to avoid this.


__________________
until a week on Isla Mujeres!

until 2 weeks in Huatulco and Puerto Escondido!
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #18 (permalink)
añejo
 
Debbiec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwestern New Jersey - in the boonies
Posts: 3,309
Great trip report, Riss!! Awesome restaurant reviews
Debbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #19 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
LUVtheNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Beautiful Inland Pacific NorthWest, USA
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post

They gave us this cabin-type room, it was all on it's own up on the sun deck. We weren't quite sure if that was considered a great room or a not very desirable room!? But we loved the privacy!

We had our own little private patio area, and no one was every up on that sun deck, so very private and quiet.
What a great room! That would be perfect (if we could just tear ourselves away from the beach - we love seeing and hearing the ocean at night....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
On Thursday afternoon we went to Cenote Azul as it was soooo hot we needed a break and a swim in water that was not tepid or lukewarm like the ocean and hotel pool.

It was as pretty and refreshing and clear as we remembered! Love this cenote.

We swam for about two hours, read a bit sitting on the rocks, and of course I got my fish pedicure.




It feels good. And don't laugh at my big feet and monkey toes!
The fish pedicure looks AWESOME! My wife is gonna LOVE THAT!

Is there anyone selling refreshments or snacks at Azul????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post

Oh La La- oh my my!! It was great. Gracious (not overly solicitous) service, cool decor (loved the kitchen!) and wonderful food.
Isn't that place just the greatest!?! And Mikaela is the sweetest!!!

Can't wait to get back in there next month!
LUVtheNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #20 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,342
Debbie- I don't think we had a bad meal all week! A few average ones and some very good ones and then I would say Babes and Byblos were the tastiest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVtheNW View Post
What a great room! That would be perfect (if we could just tear ourselves away from the beach - we love seeing and hearing the ocean at night....)



The fish pedicure looks AWESOME! My wife is gonna LOVE THAT!

Is there anyone selling refreshments or snacks at Azul????



Isn't that place just the greatest!?! And Mikaela is the sweetest!!!

Can't wait to get back in there next month!
I bet Mikaela was the very pretty young woman who seated us and took the reservations? She was very sweet.

Yes, at Azul the building where you pay to get in they also sell water and pop/juice- but no alcohol is allowed on site, nor smoking, nor outside food and drink. I think they also had some snack type items, chips, nuts, etc. Not a big variety. Most people don't stay longer than an hour or so, so not a big deal.

We tried to walk north to El Eden but it is all blocked off now, you have to go back out to the highway and walk along and then in to that cenote.

I think it was 140 pesos to get in each. Maybe 150. Can't remember!

I found this and it's so weird....looks like my feet!
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #21 (permalink)
life=playa
 
MrsFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
I don't know how I missed this but thank you for posting! I am in love with the room.
MrsFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #22 (permalink)
reposado
 
Cocotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Utah!
Posts: 1,280
Send a message via Skype™ to Cocotel
I've been waiting for this trip report!
Cocotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #23 (permalink)
añejo
 
Debbiec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwestern New Jersey - in the boonies
Posts: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post

I always have liked this big shop next door to the End Zone, with all the Oaxacan and Chiapas handicrafts.



This is also one of my favorite shops in Playa, it's been there for so long....I think each of my 3 girls has one of those big tote bags....they don't last forever, unfortunately, because they LOVE them, but the price of them has SKYROCKETED in the last few years. I think like...double the price..
Debbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #24 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,252
We also love Oh La La. Went there with another couple (Jeff and Julie - jx2 and jsotherj) for Kathy's 59th birthday last year. Mikaela is great and, as a bonus, speaks Portuguese

Nice on the house dessert plate with Happy Birthday written in chocolate sauce.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #25 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Briski52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 61
Aventura Mexicana is one of our favorite places to stay when we dont rent a condo.. close to the beach & 5th.... they also have a VIP all inclusive plan now which is a great deal.... with the all inclusive basically anything you want from the Mayan Bistro is Free.....however you have to book your stay through there website in order to get the all inclusive deal.....
Briski52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #26 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
We also love Oh La La. Went there with another couple (Jeff and Julie - jx2 and jsotherj) for Kathy's 59th birthday last year. Mikaela is great and, as a bonus, speaks Portuguese

Nice on the house dessert plate with Happy Birthday written in chocolate sauce.
That was very thoughtful of them. Not surprised! We will definitely go there again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiec View Post
This is also one of my favorite shops in Playa, it's been there for so long....I think each of my 3 girls has one of those big tote bags....they don't last forever, unfortunately, because they LOVE them, but the price of them has SKYROCKETED in the last few years. I think like...double the price..
I have two of the smaller cross-body bags made in Chiapas...love them...other than the dye gets on everything of you don't immediately wash it and rinse with vinegar water to set the dye. Lesson learned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briski52 View Post
Aventura Mexicana is one of our favorite places to stay when we dont rent a condo.. close to the beach & 5th.... they also have a VIP all inclusive plan now which is a great deal.... with the all inclusive basically anything you want from the Mayan Bistro is Free.....however you have to book your stay through there website in order to get the all inclusive deal.....
We decided against doing the VIP AI plan because one of the main reasons we stay in Playa is because of the restaurant variety. We always run out of days long before we run out of places to eat. This trip was no exception!

However, I do think it is great option to have a good small AI in Playa! There is certainly a lack of options in that category. And one with amazing food, that is a huge plus.

We actually had originally planned to stay at the VIM, the Valentin Imperal Maya. The first half of this year we had no vacation at all (other than a 3 day Vegas weekend) due to a very big project at my work, so I was really looking forward to a week of utter relaxation and pampering and luxury at the VIM. But then we figured we should save a thousand bucks and thought if it rained all week we might be bored there, so we stayed in town.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #27 (permalink)
añejo
 
Mr Cancun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Far North Dallas
Posts: 3,586
Send a message via AIM to Mr Cancun Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Cancun
Good trip report Maggie, I must have forgot to post mine again !!!
Mr Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #28 (permalink)
reposado
 
jackjackattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmond Oklahoma....Go Pokes!
Posts: 1,073
Enjoying the report....we really liked AM as well. Nothing fancy at all. In fact the wife was like this is about as plain as I want to go.....and then she let me book the place I got for October, lol. She's gonna need a nice condo next May. We loved that cat. Hung out with us everyday as our room was right next to the pool/restaurant.

Keep the pics and food coming!
jackjackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #29 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Briski52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post



We decided against doing the VIP AI plan because one of the main reasons we stay in Playa is because of the restaurant variety. We always run out of days long before we run out of places to eat. This trip was no exception!

However, I do think it is great option to have a good small AI in Playa! There is certainly a lack of options in that category. And one with amazing food, that is a huge plus.

We actually had originally planned to stay at the VIM, the Valentin Imperal Maya. The first half of this year we had no vacation at all (other than a 3 day Vegas weekend) due to a very big project at my work, so I was really looking forward to a week of utter relaxation and pampering and luxury at the VIM. But then we figured we should save a thousand bucks and thought if it rained all week we might be bored there, so we stayed in town.
I feel the same way about AI resorts however it is only $35 a person per day for the AI at Aventura... so even if you only have breakfast and lunch or some drinks by the pool and maybe some room service it pays for its self for the day and you still have the option of eating at other places as well... on top of that you can buy the AI package for as many days as you want... so if you only want it for a few days or half of you stay you can do that... its kind of nice that it is flexable like that... And cheap enough that you dont feel like you have to eat there every meal
Briski52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014   #30 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjackattack View Post
Enjoying the report....we really liked AM as well. Nothing fancy at all. In fact the wife was like this is about as plain as I want to go.....and then she let me book the place I got for October, lol. She's gonna need a nice condo next May. We loved that cat. Hung out with us everyday as our room was right next to the pool/restaurant.

Keep the pics and food coming!
I have a few more photos left but that is it....I will try to finish this up ASAP.

There was another young black and white cat there too, but it was quite skittish and only hung out on the sun deck level by our room. It would not let us touch him but yet he liked to be close to us whenever we were outside. He looked well taken care of, but I don't think he was supposed to be on the property, so we never fed him or anything like that. I love having a 'vacation cat', although it makes me miss my own fat cat back at home!

I agree about 'plain as I want to go', us too. We have stayed at a places a LOT less nice than the AM, but also a lot nicer. It is a great choice for being right in town, other than not being on the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briski52 View Post
I feel the same way about AI resorts however it is only $35 a person per day for the AI at Aventura... so even if you only have breakfast and lunch or some drinks by the pool and maybe some room service it pays for its self for the day and you still have the option of eating at other places as well... on top of that you can buy the AI package for as many days as you want... so if you only want it for a few days or half of you stay you can do that... its kind of nice that it is flexable like that... And cheap enough that you dont feel like you have to eat there every meal
I thought we looked it up and it was closer to $50 a day each, I maybe misunderstood something there. $35 is a very good deal, I agree. I think for a week stay, doing it for half the time would be a good idea!
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.