Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2014   #31 (permalink)
life=playa
 
MrsFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
I have a few more photos left but that is it....I will try to finish this up ASAP.

There was another young black and white cat there too, but it was quite skittish and only hung out on the sun deck level by our room. It would not let us touch him but yet he liked to be close to us whenever we were outside. He looked well taken care of, but I don't think he was supposed to be on the property, so we never fed him or anything like that. I love having a 'vacation cat', although it makes me miss my own fat cat back at home!

I agree about 'plain as I want to go', us too. We have stayed at a places a LOT less nice than the AM, but also a lot nicer. It is a great choice for being right in town, other than not being on the beach.



I thought we looked it up and it was closer to $50 a day each, I maybe misunderstood something there. $35 is a very good deal, I agree. I think for a week stay, doing it for half the time would be a good idea!
When I emailed them a few months ago we were quoted $50/pp per night so an extra $100/day. That was for slow season so I'm assuming that is the new rate.
MrsFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014   #32 (permalink)
aņejo
 
mfl*s queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Far North Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 2,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFresh View Post
When I emailed them a few months ago we were quoted $50/pp per night so an extra $100/day. That was for slow season so I'm assuming that is the new rate.
I inquired about it, and they do, or did have a special, that will end in December, that was for $34, or around that. Then it does go to the $50 per day.
mfl*s queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014   #33 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 654
this sign made us laugh . Usually I try to avoid this.


[/quote]


Uno? Mogs? BC? Helloooooo-anyone out there? Well at least I appreciated it anyway
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014   #34 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Uno? Mogs? BC? Helloooooo-anyone out there? Well at least I appreciated it anyway
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #35 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
And anyway, you're married

Did you manage to get to Dona Paula for posole or mole? It is a challenge to hit all the old favorites and make it to new recommendations all in a week (or two for that matter).
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #36 (permalink)
life=playa
 
MrsFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfl*s queen View Post
I inquired about it, and they do, or did have a special, that will end in December, that was for $34, or around that. Then it does go to the $50 per day.
That's a bummer for us, I guess it's been several months since I asked. We really wanted to stay there in October but it was more expensive to add their AI at the time than it was to stay at a nicer suite at Privilege Aluxes.
MrsFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #37 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
And anyway, you're married

Did you manage to get to Dona Paula for posole or mole? It is a challenge to hit all the old favorites and make it to new recommendations all in a week (or two for that matter).
Ha! Exactly.

No, never made it there. Among many others we wanted to try. Too many restaurants, too little time!

I am pretty sure when we looked on the AM site, the cost to add the VIP plan was over or around $100 a day for the two of us. I don't regret not doing it in Playa....although we really enjoyed getting AI at the Privilege Aluxes, but it was only $25 a day when we booked ....and they have a beach club. So, for breakfasts, lunches and drinks on the beach and evening cocktails at their beach bar was SO worth it, even though we had most dinners elsewhere.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #38 (permalink)
reposado
 
VermiciousKnid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
Ha! Exactly.

No, never made it there. Among many others we wanted to try. Too many restaurants, too little time!

I am pretty sure when we looked on the AM site, the cost to add the VIP plan was over or around $100 a day for the two of us. I don't regret not doing it in Playa....although we really enjoyed getting AI at the Privilege Aluxes, but it was only $25 a day when we booked ....and they have a beach club. So, for breakfasts, lunches and drinks on the beach and evening cocktails at their beach bar was SO worth it, even though we had most dinners elsewhere.
For our upcoming trip we sprung for the AI at Privileges, but skipped it for Aventura. The beach service was what made the difference for me, but I got one of the Thursday deals and the room with the AI is costing me 100$ less per night than what the room with no AI is going for on Orbitz/Expedia right now....so it was a no brainer. We can drink/eat all day on the beach, not have to pay for loungers, and still go out for dinner every night. I couldn't justify it at Aventura because we are usually gone all day.
VermiciousKnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #39 (permalink)
life=playa
 
mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: White Rock, B.C.
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
Babe's Noodle Bar- always one of our favourites and a must-eat-at place for us. We had lunch here one day.
I don't care if people sniff and loftily say it is 'too touristy' - we love the food! Don had a big old plate of Swedish meatballs (to die for!!) and I had a Thai green curry. We also shared spring rolls- they have the best peanut sauce there!


Wah Wah's - I think it was the day we went to Cenote Azul we stopped here for lunch and drinks on our walk home from the colectivo street. We shared a burger, it was pretty good. Service was good and it is a fun laid back place, we lucked out and Mike Grabow was singing and we had a pleasant couple of hours sitting here drinking beer and watching a storm roll in and then a big downpour. We started off sitting on the beach and ended up far away from the wind and blowing sand and rain back by the stage. We had intended to sit here and swim and chill on the beach but sadly the weather didn't cooperate that day.

We had a snack at the Lol Ha at Akumal (LOVE that place - the food is good and the waiters are so chipper and energetic!) and then a late lunch at La Buena Vida at Half Moon Bay after we snorkeled there. I had a salad that was very tasty, with blue cheese and pecans and mixed greens with a balsamic dressing.


Papa Charley's Pasta Factory- this was our first time here. Was another rainy night, our last night, Friday September 5th. But the rain gods were smiling on us, it was rumbling thunder as we walked to the restaurant, as soon as were seated the skies opened for the heaviest downpour and loudest and brightest thunderstorm yet of the week. It was really cool.

We both just had pretty basic pastas, I had penne carbonara which was very rich and heavy on the pork belly (YUM) and Don had lasagna. Food was a solid 'good', I would say, nothing that special.

Shared a bottle of wine because we knew due to the weather we were gonna be awhile. And because, you know...vacation = wine every day!


this sign made us laugh . Usually I try to avoid this.


Papa Charley's is my all time favorite restaurant in Playa. We go at least twice while we're there
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #40 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermiciousKnid View Post
For our upcoming trip we sprung for the AI at Privileges, but skipped it for Aventura. The beach service was what made the difference for me, but I got one of the Thursday deals and the room with the AI is costing me 100$ less per night than what the room with no AI is going for on Orbitz/Expedia right now....so it was a no brainer. We can drink/eat all day on the beach, not have to pay for loungers, and still go out for dinner every night. I couldn't justify it at Aventura because we are usually gone all day.
Exactly how we felt!

Mouse, it was good. I think Charly's son must have been our waiter? He is very tall!
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #41 (permalink)
Uno
PROUD RANDOMITE

 
Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Western Oregon in the rain
Posts: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
this sign made us laugh . Usually I try to avoid this.



Uno? Mogs? BC? Helloooooo-anyone out there? Well at least I appreciated it anyway[/quote]

too easy. But I did pull the pic and send it to some friends.
Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #42 (permalink)
aņejo
 
SharonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
Papa Charley's is my all time favorite restaurant in Playa. We go at least twice while we're there
Wrong...that's just wrong

Edit...thought I captured the pic of "PaPa Charley's explosion of love in your mouth"....somehow the pic didn't get captured. Hopefully, now my sarcasm makes sense, lol!

Last edited by SharonD; 09-26-2014 at 09:19 PM..
SharonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014   #43 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
Wrong...that's just wrong

Edit...thought I captured the pic of "PaPa Charley's explosion of love in your mouth"....somehow the pic didn't get captured. Hopefully, now my sarcasm makes sense, lol!
We found it pretty funny.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #44 (permalink)
aņejo
 
caramba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 7,006
Just catching up on the forum and saw this- great report, Riss!
caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #45 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,331
Thanks Anne! I have procrastinating finishing. i still have to post the Akumal photos. Will do so next week.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.